Students forcing Walkley family to move

johnjo

I don't really see the behaviour of students in general as antisocial.

There is a minority, for sure, that will cause problems, but I don't think it is fair to lump all students into the same category.

I don't think the authorities treat students as exceptions to the rule when they do happen to commit crimes.

We've never had a problem with students in Walkley - it's the local man who shoots cats that is encouraging us to leave.

The point is that while some students can be extremely inconsiderate (or worse), Walkley's problems aren't all down to them. I'm fairly sure the kids who lurk outside the shop on south road and spit lovely shimmering globs of phlegm as you pass aren't students, either.

Before I retire from what could become a rather circular argument, here are the categories of antisocial behaviour listed on the Home Office website (http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/asbos9.htm?fp):

1. graffiti

2. abusive and intimidating language

3. excessive noise, particularly late at night

4. fouling the street with litter

5. drunken behaviour in the streets, and the mess it creates

6. dealing drugs, with all the problems to which it gives rise.

While I agree that students are not generally involved in 1 or 6, from my experience they are major sources of 2 to 5. I also agree that not all students are the same - but if it's not OK to talk about the tendencies of students as a group, then you can't talk about the tendencies of other groups such as schoolkids, NEETs, etc, which makes this kind of discussion pretty difficult.

I'm not arguing that, on those occasions when students commit full-on crimes, they aren't treated equally. But a great deal of antisocial behaviour is (as I said before) below the level of crime in the traditional sense. It's at this level that a blind eye is turned to the kind of behaviour by a significant proportion of students which makes them a pain to live next door to.

Originally posted by Johnnywarren

I think the problem comes from young people today having no respect for anyone else.

Student or Chav, they all want locking up until they're 35.

Ugh, you sir need to shut up.

There's nothing wrong with students, if it wasn't for them, Crookes and Broomhill would be like Ghost towns at night etc.

I'm sorry if this post offends, I just think the anti-student brigade needs to shut the heck up.

Originally posted by dougald

Before I retire from what could become a rather circular argument, here are the categories of antisocial behaviour listed on the Home Office website (http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/asbos9.htm?fp):

1. graffiti

2. abusive and intimidating language

3. excessive noise, particularly late at night

4. fouling the street with litter

5. drunken behaviour in the streets, and the mess it creates

6. dealing drugs, with all the problems to which it gives rise.

While I agree that students are not generally involved in 1 or 6, from my experience they are major sources of 2 to 5. I also agree that not all students are the same - but if it's not OK to talk about the tendencies of students as a group, then you can't talk about the tendencies of other groups such as schoolkids, NEETs, etc, which makes this kind of discussion pretty difficult.

I'm not arguing that, on those occasions when students commit full-on crimes, they aren't treated equally. But a great deal of antisocial behaviour is (as I said before) below the level of crime in the traditional sense. It's at this level that a blind eye is turned to the kind of behaviour by a significant proportion of students which makes them a pain to live next door to.

but ASBOS are designed to stop persistant offenders in the same area. surely this is unlikely to apply to students unless the same ones do it very regularly

1. How stupid are you if you want to sell your house to go to the press?

2. Springvale Rd is a dump. You have to be pretty daft to buy a house on there. Especially the Commonside end. I used to live right down the bottom and I was more concerned about the guy with a sawn off in the flat below thatn student noice!

3. Broomhill housing wise is pretty ghettoised. a lot of the student properties are absolute dives with landlords not maintaining them in any way shape or form. I

4. Springvale Rd has never been in Walkley surely?

5. We get the odd noisy student group in the middle of the week in the midle of the night. Every weekend you get noisy, abusive, fighting groups.

I fail to see how you can expect a noisy, unruly, inconsiderate child that goes through an education system that has no means of controlling it, that even if it gains only mediocre exam results, is almost guaranteed a university place somewhere or other... To suddenly change into a responsible adult on leaving home and resuming schooling in a different city!

Brats, who have experienced next to no discipline in their lives so far, being 'let free' in society, with virtually no restrictions on their conduct whatsoever is a sure-fire recipe for unruly behaviour and anti-social actions amongst some (by no means all) so-called 'young adults'... How can you expect anything other than this result from the system as it currently operates?

Originally posted by Rich

There's nothing wrong with students, if it wasn't for them, Crookes and Broomhill would be like Ghost towns at night etc.

If it wasn't for students, there'd be no doctors, nurses, opticians, teachers, accountants, laywers, judges, etc...

And Springvale Road isn't Walkley, it's Springvale.

--

JGH

Originally posted by Internetowl

but they are still student scum. These days we import our doctors and nurses

They should learn respect like we did as kids.

Only cos nobody wants to work for the NHS cos of the long hours for crap money situation.