Students forcing Walkley family to move

johnjo

Don't get me started!

Don't get me wrong - I think it's great people want to go to uni but these people are supposedly 'bright' :suspect:

In my area (Crookesmoor) I would bet that the people who regulary jump into my hedge causing holes are students, the people who knocked my wingmirrors off were students, the people who make all the noise are students.

One one of these accounts I can certainly give proof. Not only was the noise coming from a student house (I think there are only a few on the road that are family homes anyway) but when my mother phoned the landlord at 2am and asked

'did I wake you? - oh sorry - I haven't been to sleep yet for the racket your students are making'

and 'are you watching Morse? Can you tell me what's happening because I can't hear it'

The noise soon stopped! I agree with the original poster - I'm not anti-student just wish they'd have a bit more respect.

How does the law lie with noise after 11pm - I know you can't set fire works off after 11 or beep your horn - what about verbal noise? Would like to know for future reference!

Guest sheffieldten

I'm a student and I'm sick of people coming back drunk late at night vandalising stuff and causing a racket. Students or not, I don't know. It's disappointing to see that people are moving out of the area as a result of their problems, how long will it be before their house becomes a HMO?

I took a bus one evening a few weeks back from my house to near the Sheffield Uni Students Union (something which I rarely do) and it has to be said that the two dozen very loud, half drunk students (young adults??) that got on it part way were very intimidating and made me feel ashamed to be part of the same University.

From time to time I pass houses regularly with collections of road cones in the front garden, to me it looks like an advert to thieves.

Originally posted by johnjo

Agreed

I take issue with anyone being un-necessarily noisy in the street. t020 is wrong saying that there are no students living in the Ecclesall area. I live there and there are shed loads of em.

Yeah but he thinks Eccleshall is heaven on Earth so he won't admit to there being any students there... :loopy:

This is intersting. I used to live on a street where this type of thing was commonplace ance once caught a little rapscallion doing it to a neighbours car. There was no way he was a student. He was a chav, with 2 other chavs. They soon ran off when I shouted what I was going to do with their heads and my faeces if I caught them.

I later moved out of Walkley, not because of the chavs, but because of the people on my street. Every single one of them thinked that they owned the road. I used to get little tickets on my car saying "DO NOT PARK IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE" and "I'VE BEEN PARKING HERE FOR 105 YEARS GET OUT OF MY SPACE", when my car was only parked on a public road, struggling with every other inhabitant to find a space. You'll know what I mean if you've ever tried to park in Walkley.

I found Walkley the most unwelcome place in Sheffield. Even more so than The Wybourn where I grew up.

Originally posted by johnjo

Agreed

I take issue with anyone being un-necessarily noisy in the street. t020 is wrong saying that there are no students living in the Ecclesall area. I live there and there are shed loads of em.

Give the guy break - he's correct.

Are you sure you live in Ecclesall?

Ecclesall Road (which leads to Ecclesall Road South which admittedly, does lead to Ecclesall, S11 9**) is a good couple of miles towards the city centre - Ecclesall Road (mainly S11 8**) is in either: Banner Cross, Hunters Bar and I believe Sharrow.

:)

There are very few students in Ecclesall (S11 9), as it's a quiet district, and they'll prefer Crookes or Broomhill.

Originally posted by Rich

Yeah but he thinks Eccleshall is heaven on Earth so he won't admit to there being any students there... :loopy:

As previously mentioned, there may be well be high-earning University graduates, but the Strokes-listening, Independent-reading, shaggy-haired 19-year-old, I doubt.

And no, I don't have anything against students - they inevitibly help run your city - :P:)

Originally posted by kentboy119

As previously mentioned, there may be well be high-earning University graduates, but the Strokes-listening, Independent-reading, shaggy-haired 19-year-old, I doubt.

And no, I don't have anything against students - they inevitibly help run your city - :P:)

If they're Uni Graduates, they're ex-students.. emphasis on EX...

Far be it for me to stick up for HIM.. But in this case he's possibly right, there's possibly no students in Eccleshall...

Oh and Alex, do you mind if we don't go into the infamous Eccleshall Road/Eccleshall debate again? It's just going over old ground and winds certain people up.

Yeah, i live in Eccelsall dude. S11 8##, i've lived opposite Pizza Hut for 5 years. The are loads of houses around here with various "for let" signs outside them from student letting companies.

I agree Rich,we don't need to start on about where Eccelsall is...

I still stand by the fact that there ARE students in this area. Thompson Road for instance has plenty