Students forcing Walkley family to move

johnjo

Originally posted by johnjo

Yeah, i live in Eccelsall dude. S11 8##, i've lived opposite Pizza Hut for 5 years. The are loads of houses around here with various "for let" signs outside them from student letting companies.

I agree Rich,we don't need to start on about where Eccelsall is...

I still stand by the fact that there ARE students in this area. Thompson Road for instance has plenty

Agent **** sums it up nicely enough above, but to clarify, you DON'T live in Ecclesall - get your Sheffield A-Z map out and you'll see Ecclesall is a good few miles up the road. You live on/near Ecclesall Road, so-called because it leads to Ecclesall. Ecclesall itself is actually a quiet, leafy suburb, a far cry from the buzzing, student vibrancy of Ecclesall Road.

I'm a student myself and although not all students are scum of the earth i have met quite a few who are.

For example one of my flatmates is what i consider to be one o the lowest forms of life on earth.

He doesn't go to lectures, he spends most of the day smoking weed, goes out at night brings back what sounds like half of sheffield most nights and has partys till 5am. He smokes weed in the kitchen encourages his friends to do the same, he trashes the flat and eats other peoples food. He is also extremly loud and offensive as are his mates. He has caused fights after nights out and is a complete waster. How he got into uni i will never know.

The sooner he gets thrown out the better.

This is obviously not applicable to all students as alot of the people i've met are lovely, fabulous people. Its just the minority that brings us down.

as a graduate who has lived in halls, lived in crookes, moved back to my home town of stafford then came back to sheffield 2 years ago- i have to agree with absolutely everything everybody has said.

halls- the epitomy of the pits. 400 young people, who have never been unleashed on society before- hideous in every sense.

crookes- i liked living there the second year i was there. the first year was on clementson road- and the noise from school road travelled badly. at that point the road was made up 50/50 of students and families- i have no idea if the families are still there. the second year i lived on toftwood road, so quiet and peaceful (apart from when the BBC used to turn up at theball! lol) i loved crookes because of the community feel to the area- sadly, i feel the influx of students may have put pay to that.

then i went back to stafford and lived in one of the roughest bits of town- ok, not so bad by sheffield standards. but the point is the late night noise was worse, boy racers testing out they new stereos on the co-op car park, gangs of scallies hanging around the cash point at the co-op at at the bus stop. i didnt feel safe at all.

then i came back to sheffield and moved into leadmill court- loved the location, loved the flat, not so keen on the price, but hated the noise. i could guarantee that most nights i would be woken up by drunken caterwauling in the early hours when the leadmill and crasher kicked out. i hate to say it, most of the noise was not from native sheffielders- the very loud accents gave them away. and with the massive concentration of purpose built housing around there- yup you guessed it!

finally, now i live in hillsborough, just round the corner from the deep end. now its not the students, it the locals. i come home from work at the pub and i catch people using the gennel next to our house as a urinal. drunken football songs after home games. and sunday nights used to be awful- im glad the deep end has shut down. so, where are the students in hillsborough?

everybody is as much to blame as each other. whether you live in a student area or not, the noise and the anti social behaviour is almost always there.

those of you with families who have young children- have you considered how irritating your bawling child might be to someone who has been studying for the last week for important exams (not making a peep to disturb you)?

i dont want to pass blame or anything like that- im just trying to demonstrate that it really isnt just one party in particular.

sophie

x

Well put Sophiec

Back home in Crosby, there is no student population. However, the same things happen, noise at night, people hedge diving etc. The one link to the Sheffield problem is that it's caused by people.

Yes, that's where the problem is; people cause trouble!

I suggest that we get rid of all people and we'll be much happier. :)

Originally posted by matty17

where ??

Here are the links.

From the last 2 months:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/4255724.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/4464156.stm

From News Years eve 2003:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/3096853.stm

sophiec1979I live up Meadowhead way and don't get any of the comments you mentioned above and I'm thankful for it.

I grew up on Gleadless Valley council estate and am aware of anti social behaviour first hand.

However where I live now is quiet, family orientated, safe and comfortable.

We get the odd "boy racer" and I do mean not many of them and I use the term boy racer in it's loosest sense of the word.

I know what you mean that you get noise and bad behaviour everywhere you go. However you can find locations in Sheffield that are not like that and I'm thankful where I am now is one of those places.

Will it stay this way, who knows... but I do know it's good for me and mine right now so I'm happy.

Originally posted by Johnnywarren

I think the problem comes from young people today having no respect for anyone else.

Student or Chav, they all want locking up until they're 35.

And while we're at it, let's lock up anyone else that you don't like the look of. Fascist