Students forcing Walkley family to move

johnjo

Originally posted by Rich

Only cos nobody wants to work for the NHS cos of the long hours for crap money situation.

that is probably the most ridiculous post I've ever seen

Originally posted by kentboy119

RE: Springvale Road - according to SCC, Springvale isn't technically an area - I always had it down as Crookes...

Crookes ward

Walkley ward

Broomhill ward

Wards don't tell you wahat community you live in. Just what collection of 13,500 adults you have been placed in for electoral purposes.

Springvale is in Crookes Ward. Crosspool is in Crookes Ward. Doesn't mean that Crosspool is *in* Crookes. Crosspool is *next to* Crookes. Both Crookes and Crosspool are in Crookes *Ward*.

Wards are artificial constructs for the sole purpose of representing the same number of residents at elections. The Council has worked out a set of neightbourhoods which are a lot closer to the actual communities that people identify with.

See http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/facts-figures/indices-of-deprivation/sheffield-results for the index map. It's a bit difficult to see, but it looks like "Springvale" is a subset of "Crookesmoor".

They are an initial start, and there are some flaws in them, but they are a lot better than 28 groupings of 13,500 adults.

--

JGH

Originally posted by jgharston

If it wasn't for students, there'd be no doctors, nurses, opticians, teachers, accountants, laywers, judges, etc...

JGH

I'm not anti-student (I've been one myself on a number of occasions!) - but with something like 50% of the school-leaving population now going on to some form of higher education, those who end up as doctors, lawyers, etc are surely very much in the minority?

The make-up of the student body is VERY different from what it was, say 20 years ago. There are so many more students now than there used to be - and that is part of the problem re houses of multiple occupation in places like Broomhill.

StarSparkle

It's not just noisy students disturbing the poor quiet families, it does happen the other way round sometimes! I was a student until earlier this year, and in my part of Walkley it was always screaming families that made it hard to concentrate on my work, either parents next door or across the road who think the best way to teach their kids to be quiet is to yell "shuuut uuup!" at them or have shouted conversations with them outside at a distance of about 10 metres away instead of walking over and talking to them, kids yelling at each other in the road or kicking footballs at the side of people's houses or, on the occasions when I didn't have to be in tutorials at 9 o'clock, being woken up by the woman across the road enlightening the whole street as to how many minutes late her kids were for school and that they needed to get in the car, now! I know there's always the library, but most of the time I was not prepared to waste an hour walking there and back when I could have been working, and not being able to do my work in my own house seemed a bit too much like admitting defeat! Yeah yeah, I know I'm being a grumpy g*t, but when it happened Every Day it did get to me a little bit!

I'm not saying that drunk students/drunk locals etc. aren't also a problem in some areas, but couldn't resist pointing out that it's not always the families who are the innocent victims where noise is concerned!

Charley *dons flameproof jacket...*

Originally posted by StarSparkle

I'm not anti-student (I've been one myself on a number of occasions!) - but with something like 50% of the school-leaving population now going on to some form of higher education, those who end up as doctors, lawyers, etc are surely very much in the minority?

No not really. The key is 'some form or other' - lots of people go from college to vocational courses.

Its not just doctors and lawyers - my friends are studying architecture, civil engineering, physics, maths, history, english, social work, social policy, mechanics, micro-biology, zoology, accounting, finance, french, german, russian...I even have a mate studying aerospace engineering! And yes, medicine and law.

We seem to have lost sight of the fact that studying isn't just to get on a career path. I study politics and sociology because its damned interesting! Its worth getting into a lot of debt to further myself. I'm not going to walk straight into a job, but I have worked on other areas of my CV so that I'll have something to do when I finish.

Originally posted by kathythebean

No not really. The key is 'some form or other' - lots of people go from college to vocational courses.

Its not just doctors and lawyers - my friends are studying architecture, civil engineering, physics, maths, history, english, social work, social policy, mechanics, micro-biology, zoology, accounting, finance, french, german, russian...I even have a mate studying aerospace engineering! And yes, medicine and law.

The point I was trying to make is that a large number of today's students do NOT go on to become a member of a profession.

JGHarston seemed to be saying 'Where would our society be without all these students?', citing their usefulness as future professionals. I was pointing out that a high percentage of students do not join a profession after they graduate.

StarSparkle

Originally posted by CharleyF

It's not just noisy students disturbing the poor quiet families, it does happen the other way round sometimes! I was a student until earlier this year, and in my part of Walkley it was always screaming families that made it hard to concentrate on my work, either parents next door or across the road who think the best way to teach their kids to be quiet is to yell "shuuut uuup!" at them or have shouted conversations with them outside at a distance of about 10 metres away instead of walking over and talking to them, kids yelling at each other in the road or kicking footballs at the side of people's houses or, on the occasions when I didn't have to be in tutorials at 9 o'clock, being woken up by the woman across the road enlightening the whole street as to how many minutes late her kids were for school and that they needed to get in the car, now! I know there's always the library, but most of the time I was not prepared to waste an hour walking there and back when I could have been working, and not being able to do my work in my own house seemed a bit too much like admitting defeat! Yeah yeah, I know I'm being a grumpy g*t, but when it happened Every Day it did get to me a little bit!

I'm not saying that drunk students/drunk locals etc. aren't also a problem in some areas, but couldn't resist pointing out that it's not always the families who are the innocent victims where noise is concerned!

Charley *dons flameproof jacket...*

I hear you. I have "scum" family on the road below who insist at screaming at each other from dusk till dawn

Originally posted by StarSparkle

If you bothered to read what I wrote, I didn't say Crookes, Broomhill, Walkley or Eccleshall are slums - clearly they aren't..... yet.

It took a while for Headingley to become a slum - but it's got there, and I can see the same pattern happening, certainly in Broomhill, maybe in Crookes, with the potential at Walkley. I can't comment on Eccleshall as I don't really know it that well.

I was posting in the hope that these areas of Sheffield WOULDN'T go the way of Leeds - but I am quite concerned for the future.

StarSparkle

By "Eccleshall" you mean the Ecclesall Road area. There's no students up in the area of Ecclesall (although the sprawl from the centre outwards is reaching as far up as Greystones and Banner Cross now).