The IKEA in Sheffield thread

It would have been if Ikea had let the council bully them into accepting a tiny site in the city centre to build on , a site the council have been trying to force on big retailers for years . They tried to get NEXT to take it too , but they were having none of it , hence the reason why NEXT`s planning application was turned down by the council , and they had to go to appeal for common sense to preveil .

This is what gets me with SCC. They try to pressure huge companies into filling town centre sites when the era of town centre shopping has long since passed its sell by date. What the council don't realise is that these big hitters are also big employers for our city, and should be accommodated to benefit everyone. There are some who believe the likes of IKEA and Next etc are cash guzzling conglomerates, but at the end of the day, they serve an essential purpose to both job seekers and customers. To make a company like these go through an appeal process just makes SCC look like a bunch of self obsessed would be dictators.

Just been to Ikea in Gateshead which is at the side of the Metro Centre, traffic was busy

and the Ikea car park nearly full and it's a large area.

However it only took us 5 mins to park and then later about 5 mins to get onto the

Western Bypass to drive up north towards home.

The Metro Centre and surrounding shops were heaving but everyone managed.

SCC need to get a mirror and seriously look at themselves the whole Ikea planning

or refusal is a complete farce. They should listen to their community views.

This is what gets me with SCC. They try to pressure huge companies into filling town centre sites when the era of town centre shopping has long since passed its sell by date. What the council don't realise is that these big hitters are also big employers for our city, and should be accommodated to benefit everyone. There are some who believe the likes of IKEA and Next etc are cash guzzling conglomerates, but at the end of the day, they serve an essential purpose to both job seekers and customers. To make a company like these go through an appeal process just makes SCC look like a bunch of self obsessed would be dictators.

Its a well known fact that SCC dont want any big successful businesses in Sheffield , they want to keep Sheffield uniquely "Sheffield" and thus poor for a city its size :-(

by the time this gets built , anything from IKEA will be out of fashion

Just been to Ikea in Gateshead which is at the side of the Metro Centre, traffic was busy

and the Ikea car park nearly full and it's a large area.

However it only took us 5 mins to park and then later about 5 mins to get onto the

Western Bypass to drive up north towards home.

The Metro Centre and surrounding shops were heaving but everyone managed.

SCC need to get a mirror and seriously look at themselves the whole Ikea planning

or refusal is a complete farce. They should listen to their community views.

Unfortunately, in many respects I feel SCC listens to the views of residents less now than it did. I'm pleased that IKEA is to open, not that I'll be buying much there, but it will bring jobs. The more employment in an area, the better for everyone.

I'm pleased that IKEA is to open, not that I'll be buying much there, but it will bring jobs. The more employment in an area, the better for everyone.

True, just imagine how much money has left the Sheffield area and gone to pay wages to people in the Leeds and Nottingham IKEAs.

I think everybody I know in Sheffield has shopped at IKEA at some point.

^Gav

by the time this gets built , anything from IKEA will be out of fashion

Luckily IKEA produce different products every year for every budget

Luckily IKEA produce different products every year for every budget

Definitely.

I've noticed a significant increase in the quality of their latest range. Their fairly new armchairs and seats are fantastic value. EKENÄSET and STRANDMON in particular.

Also their kitchens are good quality, excellent value and truly DIY.

People seem intent on pointing out the negatives of extra traffic etc, but considering the traffic and SCC dismal ideas for improving congestion (see any morning getting into town or the acclaimed Derek Dooley way congestion relief ring road) their inability to understand that blocking off routes in and out of the city centre to all but taxi's and buses has had a huge detrimental effect on the city centre in sheffield and in turn the economic growth of it, simple example bottom of Dixon lane, they close a car park and build offices and hotels, where prey tell are the people coming to work at the offices going to park or visitors using all these many hotels parking, multi story car parks are hated by many drivers and on the whole a moneymaker for the SCC, But I digress, sheffield has allegedly had billions invested from various sources to improve roads in our fair city and to lose our unenviable nick name of "pothole city", has anyone seen any vast improvement except the Tour de France route?

Why not use this investment to improve not only the actual road surfaces, but the infrastructure as a whole, which In turn brings in investment to improve sheffield's economy and our national and international profile, who wants to invest in a city where the roads are so bad?

Just my thoughts on the situation.

People seem intent on pointing out the negatives of extra traffic etc, but considering the traffic and SCC dismal ideas for improving congestion (see any morning getting into town or the acclaimed Derek Dooley way congestion relief ring road) their inability to understand that blocking off routes in and out of the city centre to all but taxi's and buses has had a huge detrimental effect on the city centre in sheffield and in turn the economic growth of it, simple example bottom of Dixon lane, they close a car park and build offices and hotels, where prey tell are the people coming to work at the offices going to park or visitors using all these many hotels parking, multi story car parks are hated by many drivers and on the whole a moneymaker for the SCC, But I digress, sheffield has allegedly had billions invested from various sources to improve roads in our fair city and to lose our unenviable nick name of "pothole city", has anyone seen any vast improvement except the Tour de France route?

Why not use this investment to improve not only the actual road surfaces, but the infrastructure as a whole, which In turn brings in investment to improve sheffield's economy and our national and international profile, who wants to invest in a city where the roads are so bad?

Just my thoughts on the situation.

Derek Dooley Way is NOT a congestion relief scheme, it was designed to relive an area of the city from THROUGH traffic in order to aid redevelopment. They didn't add any additional road capacity.

Through traffic in the city centre area is seen as detrimental to creating a place where people want to live, visit, shop and do business. Pretty much every major city looks to discourage through traffic and encourage drivers to use a ring road.

Some of the road closures, one way systems etc are actually used to promote the smoother flow of traffic, as having multiple junctions on a route where all movements are allowed introduces blockages and delays.

All cities have peak hour traffic congestion. Anyone who actually visits other cities will tell you that traffic congestion in Sheffield is not bad at all. Have you tried getting into Leeds or Manchester in the morning peak hours?

The Streets Ahead contract has been specifically introduced to improve the condition of the existing highway network. Money has been obtained from the Government and banks for that purpose and the Council are not allowed to use it for anything else.

Derek Dooley Way is NOT a congestion relief scheme, it was designed to relive an area of the city from THROUGH traffic in order to aid redevelopment. They didn't add any additional road capacity.

Through traffic in the city centre area is seen as detrimental to creating a place where people want to live, visit, shop and do business. Pretty much every major city looks to discourage through traffic and encourage drivers to use a ring road.

Some of the road closures, one way systems etc are actually used to promote the smoother flow of traffic, as having multiple junctions on a route where all movements are allowed introduces blockages and delays.

All cities have peak hour traffic congestion. Anyone who actually visits other cities will tell you that traffic congestion in Sheffield is not bad at all. Have you tried getting into Leeds or Manchester in the morning peak hours?

The Streets Ahead contract has been specifically introduced to improve the condition of the existing highway network. Money has been obtained from the Government and banks for that purpose and the Council are not allowed to use it for anything else.

Afraid to say I mostly agree with Planner1 here. Traffic in Sheffield really, really isn't bad. It's clear only people who never have to get to another city centre as rush hour think it is.

However, some of the road changes over the last few years have been 'odd' to say the least.

Making cars turn left if they are coming from Charter Row roundabout towards Arundel Gate/Eyre Street down Furnival Gate is insanity. It's STILL FAR, FAR quicker for me to go on the hilarious detour up Cambridge Street than to go via the ring road, yet I now have to drive up through a major pedestrian area and past multiple parked cars which is far less safe than if I'd just been allowed to go straight on down Furnival Gate. The argument that the city is split in 2 by Furnival Gate is laughable as it STILL is split EXACTLY as it was before...Add to this the (predominantly) taxis doing illegal u-turns on Pinstone Street nearly wiping out unexpecting pedestrians and you have an utter disaster of road planning. Please, please review it SCC.

has anyone seen any vast improvement except the Tour de France route?

Yes its loads better, try Fulwood, Nether Green, Walkley West , Rivelin, Loxley, one half of Crookes, Broomhill, Broomhall etc etc....

In fact most of what this map says they will have done by 2015 has been done

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/schemes/streetsaheadproject/works-schedules/works-map.html