The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Not too long before the Sheffield one is open ....

Not too long before the Sheffield one is open ....

Have they even started building it yet?

Heard that it's going to be next to Meadowhall retail park? Traffic is already bad round there with the arena and at the weekend!

Heard that it's going to be next to Meadowhall retail park? Traffic is already bad round there with the arena and at the weekend!

Part of the planning consent involved Ikea having to improve/change road layout, but I'm not sure exactly which bit or if it's just the motorway junction. I'm sure Planner1 can advise if he's around?

Should start building pretty soon I should imagine. Due to open in 2017.

Part of the planning consent involved Ikea having to improve/change road layout, but I'm not sure exactly which bit or if it's just the motorway junction. I'm sure Planner1 can advise if he's around?

I could be completely wrong but I think have put some funding towards the new road which is bypassing the junction at the south end of the viaduct.

If you can be bothered to wade through it all, the planning documentation can be found here: http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=MN3M84NY09900

Ikea will as part of the development be spending money on improvements to the road serving the store along with Carbrook tram stop and various environmental initiatives.

The "Decision notice" document (near the bottom of the documents list on the planning website) gives a good summary of everything they'll have to do:

Highway Improvements:

• Upgrading bus stops 37023623 and 37023652 in accordance with the specifications for Sheffield key route programme
  • Improvements to the M1 Junction 34 north roundabout in accordance with principles shown on WYG drawing number A076353A19
  • Improvement to the Attercliffe Common junction with Meadowhall Retail Park site entrance to provide a dedicated right turn lane into the retail park in accordance with the principles shown on drawing number A076353 TA 001.
  • Improvement to the Attercliffe Common junction with Broughton Lane, to provide two right turning lanes for westbound traffic on Attercliffe Common in accordance with the principles shown on drawing number A076353_TA_001.
  • Improvement to the Shepcote Lane junction with Europa Link consisting of changes to signal heads and minor lining works in accordance with the principles shown on drawing number A076353 A 21.
  • Improvements to Sheffield Road / Attercliffe Common between Vulcan Road to Arena Square consisting of general footway improvements aimed at providing a cycle route joining the new facilities to the Next Homeware development and to the existing cycle facilities at Arena Square. The improvements to include a scheme for the conversion of Pelican crossings to Toucans (the number of toucans to be provided and an implementation programme to be agreed within 6 months of the store opening).
  • Localised footway widening at Arena Square and behind the Bus Stop at Meadowhall Retail Park access to provide improved cycle facilities.
  • Improvements to Sheffield Road to accommodate the new access into the surface car park at the east end of the store in accordance with the principles shown on drawing number A076353 TA 008.
  • Improvement of the Weedon Street/ Sheffield Road/Lock House Road junction to accommodate the new site access at the west end of the site in accordance with the principles shown on drawing number A076353 TA 002 Revision A.

Reason; To enable the above-mentioned highways to accommodate the increase in traffic, which, in the opinion of the Local Planning Authority, will be generated by the development.

There's also plenty more conditions before they'll be allowed to start, for example:

No demolition and / or construction works shall be carried out until details of measures to prevent the deposit of debris and mud on the highway as a result of construction traffic has been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. The approved measures shall be implemented in accordance with the agreed details

Reason; In the interests of the safety of road users

The "Decision notice" document (near the bottom of the documents list on the planning website) gives a good summary of everything they'll have to do:

There's also plenty more conditions before they'll be allowed to start, for example:

Wow. Is that all normal for planning applications? Seems like quite a lot of work needs doing before it can open... IKEA must be fairly confident/desperate to get it open!

In my experience very normal.

That area is very busy, not just with traffic visiting Meadowhall etc.. but as a link from the mway into the centre and the north of Sheffield.

That's being said, IMO those measures will not stop that area being gridlocked most weekends when Ikea opens.

There will be a massive number of extra journeys being made. The catchment for the new store is huge.

Yes initial costs to do the work will be in the millions but that's nothing compared to the profit the store will generate over its lifetime.

Have they even started building it yet?

Nah, they unpacked it but found some screws missing...