The best Gluten free places in sheffield!

Personally I think it's linked to Munchausen's syndrome. (Don't ask me what that is - you'll have to look it up!).

I don't need to look it up......and try telling that to my grandaughter who was diagnosed as a toddler after having tests at SCH because she had blood in her stools. Anything such as bread which contains gluten makes her quite ill for a couple of days.

It can also lead to sufferers having severe and persistant diarrhoea, vomiting and a total inability to absorb any food. Those who suffer from it may be lucky and have a mild reaction others can be so severely affected that a mere trace of gluten leads to hospitalisation. Having had a close friend nearly die of this ilness I can assure the doubters that it is far from trivial, made up or illusory nor is it 'fashionable'.

Try Fusion Organic Cafe on Arundel Street..... http://www.fusioncafe.co.uk/

They have lots of different salads on every day, most of which use really interesting flavours.

They have daily specials on too and I know that they have done gluten free cakes recently.

Ottos on Sharrowvale Road have a good range of gluten free dishes and Pierre Bistro on Ecclesall Road serve gluten free bread

It's the thing that makes dough sticky. A type of protein derived from wheat.

People who are gluten intolerant may develop a bloating sensation and parrp a lot after ingesting (eating) things with gluten in it.

This is not so much dangerous as downright anti-social. :suspect: (is that you?) :blush:

It has also been linked to all kinds of other things - you know, the usual list of side-effects that you can find on any medication...

headache

drowziness

dizziness

fatigue

lethargy

all the usual "catch-all" list of things. But even including some more serious things like

autism

ADHD (hyperactivity)

schizophrenia

muscular problems

How strong the evidence is for any of this stuff I really don't know. It is something that we have only heard of in recent years (relatively).

Personally I think it's linked to Munchausen's syndrome. (Don't ask me what that is - you'll have to look it up!).;)

ok thanks for the info, i wonder what this problem was called 20 or 30 years ago though ??

Try Fusion Organic Cafe on Arundel Street..... http://www.fusioncafe.co.uk/

They have lots of different salads on every day, most of which use really interesting flavours.

They have daily specials on too and I know that they have done gluten free cakes recently.

They always have several gluten free cakes on offer, as well as gluten free meals. They're mainly open just in daytimes but have been trialling evening opening recently and I think they're hoping to make that a regular thing.

ok thanks for the info, i wonder what this problem was called 20 or 30 years ago though ??

Although it's possible that the problem was just put down to 'not getting on with certain food stuffs'. I suspect that the rates of these intolerances have increased massively due to the vast increase in pollutants in the atmosphere and into our food. Hence conditions that didn't exist/were very rare 40 years ago are now relatively commonplace

http://www.naturalhealthydiet.org/allergies.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10416280

It's a similar thing with Asthma, which was a reasonably rare condition as late as the 70's, but is now very prevalent.

http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/6/8/1109.short

They always have several gluten free cakes on offer, as well as gluten free meals. They're mainly open just in daytimes but have been trialling evening opening recently and I think they're hoping to make that a regular thing.

Do they do a carry out service do you know? For cakes etc?

WHITBYS fish & chip reataurant AND take a way REALLY do gluten free fish AND chips. Well worth a visit cause their excellent.

Seen as my mum was diagnosed with this approximately 20 years ago i suspect it was called Coeliac then, as it is now......

And seen as the UK Coeliac Society was founded in 1968 i suspect they called it that longer than 30 years ago too.....

in severe cases people can go into anafalatic shock (sorry no idea how to spell that) and die, other syptoms are

depression

sore throats

hay fever symptoms like runny eyes/nose etc,

its also more common in females, a herreditory condition and can often get worse and 'come out' when someone has gone through severe stress

Im pretty sure a restaurant would do very well if they could offer options for all the major diets such as Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Atkins as well as Food Allergies too.

Its alot more difficult to cook in these ways though without oil, so that may be a problem.

It's well known that fatties eat more food though, so there is more chance or repeat custom...... Until they lose the weight!