The best Gluten free places in sheffield!

A total plug but my brother's restaurant Eten has a wide range of gluten free options and because my brother is coeliac and understands the problem he will do his very best to adapt any dish to suit. On Eastern Parade, little lane that runs towards Campo Lane as you face the Anglican Cathedral.

A total plug but my brother's restaurant Eten has a wide range of gluten free options and because my brother is coeliac and understands the problem he will do his very best to adapt any dish to suit. On Eastern Parade, little lane that runs towards Campo Lane as you face the Anglican Cathedral.

Good to know that Eten is run by someone with Coeliac - not been yet but will definitely have to try it know! You never know if people really understand what 'gluten free' is.

On a side note, Nourish in town do healthy fast food (hot salads, thai curries) and label gluten free.

---------- Post added 07-05-2014 at 19:02 ----------

any suggestions for pub lunches that are good for coeliacs? I know The Old Horns marks out their GF stuff but we go there all the time!

Thanks

The York in Broomhill labels gf dishes, but it's a bit posher than normal pub food. Also the Fat Cat labels gf but not as many options.

Ive mentioned this before on forum but my local fav cafe Temptation opposite Hillsborough libary caters for gf meals etc, They have quite a few gf customers and are having some kind of support "awareness" coeliac week ,next week so could give this place a try, google "Temptation eat drink surf" dont know how to do linky thing

I know this is an old topic but I have to share this with gluten intolerant folk out there! El Toro, a tapas bar in Broomhill does wonderful gluten free food. In fact nearly all their tapas are gluten free and it's clearly labelled on the blackboard.

You can try my Ghanaian Inspired Gluten free takeaway night on sat 26th Oct 2014 6-9pm from Regather on club garden road. I'll be putting details on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/MissAdusKitchen. I also make and sell gluten free cakes at farmers markets in Sheffield. My next one is Sat 27th Sept 2014 at Devonshire Markets 11am-6pm.

If you're free came by and we can have a chat.

Eten Cafe will be hosting a totally Gluten Free Christmas meal/party on Saturday the 13th of December. Details will be announced shortly or contact the cafe via http://www.etensheffield.co.uk in the next week or so for bookings and or info.

Cheers

Eten Cafe

I've been gluten free for a few months now, my father is going through the process of getting diagnosed & he's been gluten free for a few weeks so far.

I still need to find a few good gluten free places to eat out, or get takeaways from. Whitby's seem good for GF fish & chips & I'm usually OK with Indian (but dad wont eat it).

Does anybody know of any good Chinese places that do gluten free? It's a tricky one, because there's wheat in most soy sauce.

Hui Wei on Glossop Rd do good gluten free as do Wong Ting just off the Moor. My brother in law is coeliac and as we are married to Chinese spouses you can see what a problem he's had with the food both at home and eating out. Wong Ting especially are very good . When we've visited there the manager just told him tell me what you fancy to eat and we' ll make it gluten and wheat free. It's such a treat for him as when we've been to other Chinese restaurants he's had to make do with perhaps a plain steamed sea bass and boiled rice while the rest of us tucked into a tasty feast. Be very wary of certain restaurants on London Rd who will promise you that their soy sauce is gluten free but isn't.

Good to know Wong Ting are good. Was meaning to try them before I found out I'm coeliac, heard a lot of good reports.

I've had to buy tiny bottles of overpriced Kikkoman GF soy sauce, which I can only find at Crystal Peaks for some bizarre reason (Marks & Sainsbury's both have it at Peaks, not in all their other shops though).

My dad finally got his final diagnosis after years of health problems, he's been disabled by coeliac & I was going the same way too.

It's a nightmare trying to find places to eat & my mum is being stupid about it, not letting me cook anything, buying him beer, causing arguments over food all the time, generally not treating it as a serious health condition, despite the fact he can't walk & the hospital can't find anything else wrong with him.

Thank god for 'Just Curries', think I'd have starved without them, but my dad wont even eat Indian.

Edited by anywebsite

Guest sibon

Many places are pretty good with GF stuff these days. Sometimes it pays to phone in advance. I tend to try to avoid chains as the staff don't know what is in the foods. I make an exception for Pizza Express who are really good.

I ate in the Wick on Monday. They had quite a few GF options, clearly indicated on the menu. Nice food too.

Not sure I'd be able to get my dad upstairs to Wong Ting anyway, maybe if he recovers more, but it's good to know for myself. I don't think they have coeliacs in China.

More takeaways would be good to know about, taking my dad to any restaurant is a hassle with how bad he is right now.

Steel City Cakes were really nice, but I had diarrhoea for a few days later, hopefully wasn't due to their GF cakes.

I suppose I'll get used to it, but it's a huge change in diet, it's even tougher with the arguments at home & I have to be really careful if I eat out or get a takeaway. Got to study all the ingredients on any kind of processed food. I'm used to just eating what I like. I'm feeling much better for the diet though & never want to end up like my dad, if he starts to improve like I did then it'll be great.

Edited by anywebsite

I Ayr at the Talbot in Dronfield last night.

They have a brand new menu and thete were s loy of options marked as Gluten Free.

Out meals were delicious.