Sheffield 'The Sugar Cube'

i quite like the brown car park also, city centres looking good not actually been in for a while but i might go for a look around soonish when i get chance. I cant understand the hate being shown for these buildings, they're car parks for christ sake get a grip people

Why does Sheffield have to have so many buildings/features made with stainless steel? I know about the historical links but... Much of Sevenstone seems to be encased in it, the car park opposite Howden House is now covered in it... Am I the only one who thinks that stainless steel is the single most depressing material to build a landmark out of, no matter how fancy the design is?

...well apart from the brown monstrosity on Eyre Street anyway.

Why does Sheffield have to have so many buildings/features made with stainless steel? I know about the historical links but... Much of Sevenstone seems to be encased in it, the car park opposite Howden House is now covered in it... Am I the only one who thinks that stainless steel is the single most depressing material to build a landmark out of, no matter how fancy the design is?

So you don't like Stainless Steel, you don't like 'brown' ?!?!

I don't suppose you like the copper cladding on the University Commons either then?

I bet you like 'red brick' - go on, let's have more of that!

Maybe even some Park Hill concrete while we're at it.

Good lord!

So you don't like Stainless Steel, you don't like 'brown' ?!?!

I don't suppose you like the copper cladding on the University Commons either then?

I bet you like 'red brick' - go on, let's have more of that!

Maybe even some Park Hill concrete while we're at it.

Good lord!

A bit of an overreaction Unisol. My point was that there are plenty of materials more attractive to the eye than steel and that most other cities seem to realise this.

I wouldn't say it's the Stainless Steel that's the problem, more the over-use of it.

There's an annoying small-town attitude in this city, where whenever say, a sculpture is built in Sheffield people instantly jump to 'it must be made of steel and represent the steel/cutlery industries'.

There's a sculpture on one of the new roundabouts for the ring road, it was quite simple - a few stones dotted about making a bit of a circle. I really liked it until I realised they'd gone and carved big knives and forks into them. :loopy:

In answer to 1, 2, 3, 5: it's much more expensive to build underground than on the surface.
And? What are we talking about here? Improving lifestyle or saving a few quid then spending it on metal cladding? I don't remember the Corporation of the time thinking they'd set up shop in a hut when they built the Town Hall?

Iconic, prestige, landmark is a tag they tick on every build these days, it doesn't mean owt anymore. Luxury appartments are made of cardboard, iconic landmarks are prefab metal boxes...

What do we think of Sorby House then?
Repulsive, cheap.
Better looking than the new University Dept of Music on Gell Street.
You mean the sixties horror next to Henderson's? Either... Stuck in the sixties... Colour cladding LMAO...
es, i'd love to see the Manpower (DWP) building go
and rebuild The Moor so it reached once more London and Ecclesall roads, that would be nice, an opportunity to give better access to town to both buses and cars. Burry a car park down there and increase access to this part of town.

I like it, daring as it maybe.

Although as someone has allready said it will require a huge amount of maintenance. Maybe the design has something to do with acoustics?

They still sell those 60`s door bell chimes :

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/72490/Electrical/Door-Chimes/Wired/Friedland-D424-Facet-Wired-Chime-Kit

Maybe the architect was an ex friedland designer ;)

Whenever any new building appears, you get loads of people whinging about how ugly it is. If we only built buildings that nobody objected to, then we would have no buildings at all. The Angel at Gateshead, the Eiffel tower were both initially regarded as monstrosities - the Eiffel tower apparently ruined the Parisien skyline. Ironic as now it defines the skyline of Paris.

Looking out of my office window I can see a plenty of square unimaginative boxes and amongst those the Borg Cube looks like a big step forward. Remember it's a car park and car parks are usually remarkably bland and ugly anyway, so it's nice to see something where at least a little consideration was given to aesthetics. But as aesthetics are involved, some people will like it some won't.

As for the building dating, everything dates, but then once a building gets a bit older again, then it becomes quaint/classic/nostalgic.