Sheffield 'The Sugar Cube'

I like it, i cant believe the negative people on here. Fine have opinions but probably most would like an ugly concrete building and then complain that they didn't build something different.

The usual suggestion is "why can't they just build a nice litle park instead", of course then they will be complaining "there is nothing in town except nice little parks"

The one thing that proves Sheffield is still a village is opposition to 50 storey glass towers, not opposition to this ugly carbuncle in a prominent place.

They're probably worried it may turn out like your beloved city of Leed's dreadful Bridgewater Place.

:gag:

I think it's stunning

but once again this thread proves that sheffield is really still a village....progress scares you all!

What is this thing called progress? Describe it. What does it mean?

Is it about taking indigenous tribes out of the Amazon jungle, shoving them in high rise flats and giving them a dead end job just so they can go out and buy 'stuff'?

Where is this progress heading?

When does progress stop?

Why is it deemed to be a good thing when it seems to be doing so much environmental damage?

Does progress in one area of society damage a different part of society? In which case is that really 'progress' at all?

Just a few questions on so called progress that you might want to ponder on rather than taking the word at face value.

What is this thing called progress? Descibe it. What does it mean?

Is it about taking indigenous tribes out of the Amazon jungle, shoving them in high rise flats and giving them a dead end job just so they can go out and buy 'stuff'?

Where is this progress heading?

When does progress stop?

Why is it deemed to be a good thing when it seems to be doing so much environmental damage?

Does progress in one area of society damage a different part of society? In which case is that really 'progress' at all?

Just a few questions on so called progress that you might want to ponder on rather than taking the word at face value.

lets all go back to being hunter-gathers living in mud huts I say

I quite like it - it's a bit of fun!

At least it's not just a boring concrete block like so many of the buildings in the city centre.

You have to remember that no-one ever wishes to spend very much money on building car parks, so at least they've made an effort to make it interesting.

And I think it's quite cleverly designed with the future in mind - all those wonky faces are just cladding panels attached to the facade, so in a few years time when the building needs a facelift, the cladding panels can just be removed and replaced with something completely different which would give the building a whole new look.

lets all go back to being hunter-gathers living in mud huts I say

Yep. Ultimately (in a few thousand years time) that may be the only option.

Already there's been a huge increase in people taking on allotments to grow their own food so the 'gathering' part of that scenario is already beginning to take place.:thumbsup:

Yep. Ultimately (in a few thousand years time) that may be the only option.

Already there's been a huge increase in people taking on allotments to grow their own food so the 'gathering' part of that scenario is already beginning to take place.:thumbsup:

and hunting looks fun so sorted. Think pillaging and raping might be a bit controversial though!