Sheffield 'The Sugar Cube'

I drove along there just now specifically to view the building ... yes it did remind me very much of one of the first doorbell chimes from the 60s ... sorry! (see #3)

I sometimes wonder if designers and architects draw their inspiration from their grandparents houses, you see so much of the same themes returning on a 30 year cycle.

mister man? They were calling it something else on skyscrapercity I seem to recall...i kind of like it in its weirdness...

I hope that one gets built too, it's like the sinister headquarters of a world controlling corporation in an 80's sci-fi movie.

I agree the brown turd coloured car park is an abomination, reserve judgement on the cheese grater cube for now.

I think it's stunning but once again this thread proves that sheffield is really still a village....progress scares you all!

If I thought things were progress, I'd not be scared, I'd embrace it ...

I didn't say it was a bad design, I said it was very reminiscent of a retro doorbelll chime. They were revolutionary at the time, and very much demand!

I'm merely commenting that there seems to be a cycle in building and apparel when the same styles come around again, or 'new' design ideas seem to be derived from unrelated objects. Le plus change, la meme chose maybe?

That's almost identical to Moorfoot but made with curves instead of on a 'honeycomb' theme, and yet Moorfoot is coming down?! One of Sheffield's most interesting buildings and home to wildlife coming down after a few years...because they cannot afford to replace the windows! :loopy:

They're pulling it down!?!? :huh:

I like it, i cant believe the negative people on here. Fine have opinions but probably most would like an ugly concrete building and then complain that they didn't build something different.

We would much rather have had glass towers. A cube with chunks of metal attached to it is hardly what you'd call attractive.

I think it's stunning

but once again this thread proves that sheffield is really still a village....progress scares you all!

The one thing that proves Sheffield is still a village is opposition to 50 storey glass towers, not opposition to this ugly carbuncle in a prominent place.