Sheffield 'The Sugar Cube'

So what are the opinions now it is lit up at night?

Looks rather funky to me!

I noticed it last night. I have a great view of all the city lights from my bedroom and I have to say it is a nice addition. Not sure it needs to be lit all night but it looks good.

Better looking than the new University Dept of Music on Gell Street.
You mean the sixties horror next to Henderson's? Either... Stuck in the sixties... Colour cladding LMAO...

I think the reference is to this building

Weird, but I haven't made up my mind about it. I agree about the new building over the road from henderson's.

Getting back to the cheese grater - I really like it. I'm looking forward to seeing it lit up inside. How will the light be reflected from the steel as it makes its way out?!

Hugh

Columbia Place: naf

I happen to live in that ugly extension...While I agree its hardly an icon of Sheffield arcitecture, I don't think you can compare it with some of the modern developments being errected at the moment. Their designs are completely different, Columbia Place is a conversion property and therefore cannot be compared with the recent new builds such as Velocity Village (which is horrible inside, but I kinda like it from the outside)

IMO Columbia Place is a great place to live with rents well below the average in the current market. I think I'd rather have this than be charged £700 pcm + for a flashy glass and steel shoebox.

I for one am glad that Derwent have bothered to offer modern and clean accomodation for young professionals without ripping them off, that means designing and building to a price.

Just my opinion

Admitedly it is a lesser of two evils but the original building, which has nothing special in its self is somewhat ruined by the extension. Cladding, tiles on the walls. They did make a little effort with windows and background colour so it vaguely matches the old building but look at the converted flats next to Jackson and Hertz, the red brick building: glorious.

maybe they think if they make the car parks so ugly, the scrotes and theives wont been seen dead in them for fear of ruining their street cred:suspect:?? haha

Admitedly it is a lesser of two evils but the original building, which has nothing special in its self is somewhat ruined by the extension. Cladding, tiles on the walls. They did make a little effort with windows and background colour so it vaguely matches the old building but look at the converted flats next to Jackson and Hertz, the red brick building: glorious.

Thats a fair comment. Though if you have the oppertunity to view some of the flats in the original conversion I think you would be surprised. True, it doesn't look much at all from the outside (most people walking past either miss it completely or think its a student complex) but I've lived there for 2 years and still have no complaints. It really surprises me who few people are aware of its existance, though on relection thats a good thing.

The red brick building you are refering to, I think is Truro Court and is actually a student accomodation for Sheffield Hallam.

One of my favourite conversion in the city has to be the Glossop Road baths development. The very definition of city living. Hidden away, quiet, in a great location.

I think Sheffield really is still in its infancy when it comes to centralised living. You only have to look at Leeds to see where a city living can change the look of a city.

Thats a fair comment. Though if you have the oppertunity to view some of the flats in the original conversion I think you would be surprised.
I'm sure the flats in the old building are quite charming. Nice window frames :) proper walls (proably a few added partitioning walls).

Student rooms in the red brick building? They don't know their luck!

Affectionately? The Sugar Cube?

It looks a right monstrosity to replace the right monstrosity that was the Town Hall/Eggbox... aught never to have been lifted off the drawing board.

Night or day, lights or non... it still looks ugly.