Old Sheffield dialect

Heavens to Betsy!

That just means that you have some friends with sheltered lives.

well thats what I thought at the time!

I've introduced 'chuffin' into the Cape Verdean language where I now live. So funny hearing one of my employees complaining 'txeu chuffin mosca' (lots of chuffin flies!). 'Ey up chuck' is another firm favourite of my Czech friends daughter when she meets me.

That's interesting. I have Barnsley relatives who say loppy meaning dirty and always thought it was a Barnsley thing!

My mother used to describe chewy meat as 'toff'

I used to think she had got it wrong but I've heard other people use the term.

Anybody else heard of it?

Isn't that just a mispronunciation of 'tough'? Which is what 'chewy meat' is.

Isn't that just a mispronunciation of 'tough'? Which is what 'chewy meat' is.

It probably is but it's only pronounced that way locally when speaking of meat.

"Loppy"... "Rammy"... "Breadcake"..... I've never heard any of these words said outside of Sheffield (or maybe Barnsley, Rotherham. Donny) either.

Keep 'em coming everyone... this is a highly entertaining and nostalgic thread. I'm lovin' it!

How about the word "slottened"? My mum would always use this word to describe when we came home covered and soaked from head to foot in something nasty - like if we fell in a stagnant pond, we "came home slottened in muck n' slime", or if we did something that bled profusely - like cut the sole of a foot on a bit of broken glass or got into a fight and got a bloody nose, we "came home slottened in blood".

"Loppy"... "Rammy"... "Breadcake"..... I've never heard any of these words said outside of Sheffield (or maybe Barnsley, Rotherham. Donny) either.

Keep 'em coming everyone... this is a highly entertaining and nostalgic thread. I'm lovin' it!

How about the word "slottened"? My mum would always use this word to describe when we came home covered and soaked from head to foot in something nasty - like if we fell in a stagnant pond, we "came home slottened in muck n' slime", or if we did something that bled profusely - like cut the sole of a foot on a bit of broken glass or got into a fight and got a bloody nose, we "came home slottened in blood".

There's "Slottend" and "Clarted".

Clarted is more sticky, something stuck to you, like mud or tar, slottened is "covered or soaked" in our house.

You'd be slottened in blood, certainly, if someone punched your nose, (very good example), or, I'd describe the way I like my bread or a scone buttered (with real butter, incidentally) is for it to be slottened in butter.

I don't like it clarted in jam, mind you! ;)

That's a good way of putting it Plain Talker. I'd forgotten "clarted". That one was used in our house too - along with "clarty" to describe the kind of food that felt thick in your mouth and was difficult to swallow. Peanut butter is clarty. Mars Bars are clarty....

I found Mashin instead of brewing or making tea. Snap as in 'as thee got thee Snap owd lad!! The worst of all was our lass or our old lass, it meant any woman in the bloody family!!! been here 40 yrs now I can understand you but you lot don't understand me lol

was anybody else chatty if they had nits or loppy if dirty or laping it all oer shant when making a messand had to put your kady on when it was very cold

I've lived all over the country, and some of these 'Sheffield' words aren't at all.

I'd not encountered 'loppy' before living here though. Words like 'clarty', 'chuffin', 'pip' (as in the horn on the car, 'snicket', phrases like 'our lass', 'dab on' etc are used all over the north.

It's also not something exclusive to the north either, the south has equally silly words to describe the mundane. Where I grew up in Portsmouth, if you cried or told tales you were a squinny; I've used that here a few times and got a look as blank as if I'd asked for a breadcake in a bakery down south.