Old Sheffield dialect

Originally posted by t020

Do you mean "larking", as in "larking about"? I was always under the impression this word was from a Southern dialect.

A lot of people are saying this like "my uncle from Barnsley once said.... therefore that's Barnsley dialect". This just isn't true. Linguistic terms are becoming increasingly liquid (due to TV, internet, etc) so people use terms that are not necessarily part of their actual dialect.

No to20, not larking, but 'lakin'. It's the dialect verb of 'playing'. Many linguists have looked into how it came about. There's a special region of England where the term is used, you can get maps that show this region, and Sheffield narrowly misses out. In Scandinavia the word for playing is still 'laken', and it's use in England is a remenant of the the viking/norse invasion of England.

If anybody wants to see more of the sheffield dialect look up Sheffield Dialect run on the Sheffield Forum in May 2004.

There are 12 pages of it.

Talk about history repeating itself.

Happy Days

what about leave the door on the sneck.

or a snecklifter. thats hair of the dog. where does that come from a few sherbuts

When i was in the Aemy there a guy from stocksbridge and his nickname was Nahden because every time he had anything to say he started with nahden de

I've noticed how some people say 'one' differently.

Some say it like 'wun' and others say it like 'whon'.

Is it just me?

I moved into my house on the hottest day of the year before last. Assisted by a mate from Hunter's Bar. "Eeh," she said at one point, "let's have a breather. I've got a reet dab on, me." Took me a while to realise she was feeling a bit sweaty, but when I did I was bowled over by what a fabbo literal phrase that was. I've heard it since too, but only in Sheffield.

My Nan, Mom and Dad and still me refer to little corner 'hardware' shops as (and forgive the spelling I've never seen it written) as 'tranklement' shops

and does anyone else use 'shunkley' for something shiny

Thy as tu gu t' ut fut ur ar stair t' put big leet on

you should get the book....sheffieldish a beginners phrase book

its full of sheff words...i like the local on for crying.....but god knows how you spell it,,,but if ya a sheffielder then you will know wot i mean

Yes Andy, "Trantlements" is a word I still use all the time, to describe the assorted junk I tend to drag around with me. (think "everything but the kitchen sink" in my handbag!)

I will say to my granddaughter, when we are packing her clothes to go back home to her mummy and daddy's, after stopping the night with me;

"Have you got all your trantlements with you?"

and the word "shunkly"; I thought was a word only my family used!! People have laughed at me, when I have described something sparkly or shiny as being "shunkly".

I have a photograph of me and my granddaughter both wearing shiny, sparkly blouses, showing them off to the camera. this pic was taken only a few weeks ago, and it is entitled "nannan and courtney wearing our shunkly tops!".

My gran, before the alzheimers struck, described an incident that happened during her courtship with my grandpa.

she had arranged to meet him outside "C&A modes" (which is now primark) to go out dancing, one evening, early in their courtship.

She had worn her favourite dance-dress.

It had huge sequins all over it; tey were the size of an old penny. . (About the size of a 2p coin today)

As she was waiting for my grandpa, another group of friends that she knew arrived, in a car! (now in the thirties, hardly anyone had a car, so this was a huge novelty)

She decided to blow my grandpa out of the picture, and took off to another dance hall, in the car with this group.

Unfortunately, as grandpa had been stood up, he decided to go to a different dance hall than the one originally planned for that night. Problem was, it was the same one that my gran had sneaked off to, with her friends!

He arrived, a little worse for wear (I E he was kay-lyed!), and when he walked in to the dance hall, he saw my grandma, he went ballistic, and made a huge scene.

He was shouting and bawling about being stood up, yelling

"Tha' seez 'er, thee-er, wi them shunklers on ' er dress!???!! yeah... That's' er, ower thee-er, wearin' them shunklers!! "

It was funny to hear about how annoyed my grandpa was, and the antics my gran got up to.

PT

Did anyone else used to get done for scrawmin' on furniture?

My mam used to tell me to stop "Maigin abaht" or used to say

"what tha maigin abaht at" - when I was messing about, does this just belong to Sheffield?

Bobbar - I had totally forgotten that one - ace word!