Old Sheffield dialect

My Nannan used to say 'posher' on wash day. Another saying was 'gooen mash tea' and also 'siling it down' (raining).

My step-brothers and sister live in South Wales and when they come up to visit, my Grandad takes great delight in confusing them with his Yorkshire accent.

He told my brother to 'put t' wood in t' oyl'...my brother just stood there looking totally confused, so I translated...'he means shut the door!'

Set me off now thinking about my Nannan. Badly (ill) gaffer (boss) sloppy peas (mushy peas) oilcloth (lino) kaili (sherbert) narky (mardy) mither (bother) cack-handed (clumsy) tarra (goodbye) pikelet (crumpet) sup 'o' tea (drink) waggin it (bunking off school) leg it (runaway) manky (dirty) gormey (stupid) faff (mess about) flitting (moving house) fair t'middlin (feeling not so bad)

I love the word 'gormey'

nah then yer gormey chuff, stop faffin abaht an get summat done!

pantry was called 'cellar'ead' and mantlepiece was called 'cornish'.

nesh and mardy i know that this has never been heard of down south, not sure about nesh

aunty x

wat dah dooin dayn deea

My mother used to describe chewy meat as 'toff'

I used to think she had got it wrong but I've heard other people use the term.

Anybody else heard of it?

My Grandad always used to call people "barm-pot" when they did something daft

Certainly is interesting to hear how the way people talk has changed ;) I went to find this and it's all moved, dodged about from one link to another, found the Sheffield section eventually. The first link I clicked on in Sheffield area was Asians, who seemed to be talking about pronouncing the Yemeni words they use. Still looking for the actual Sheffield dialect ones.

Sign of the times! :hihi:

My father in law says snicket to what I refer as a gity, me not being from sheffield. When I was at uni in Birmingham, I was driving and had a friend in the car and we past some flatmates and I said "ooh let's pip at them" and she didn't have a clue what 'pip' meant.

My Grandad always used to call people "barm-pot" when they did something daft

He may well have done but the expression is not peculiar to Sheffield.

Nor is it resigned to the past.

---------- Post added 29-08-2013 at 22:44 ----------

My father in law says snicket to what I refer as a gity, me not being from sheffield. When I was at uni in Birmingham, I was driving and had a friend in the car and we past some flatmates and I said "ooh let's pip at them" and she didn't have a clue what 'pip' meant.

Heavens to Betsy!

That just means that you have some friends with sheltered lives.