Old Sheffield dialect

One of my work colleagues, from down south, once asked me if I had got far to travel to Meadowhall, whereupon I replied in my Sheffield accent : "It's near on t' mi!" He then asked, "Where's 0ntami ?

If thas supped up it's time fer thee t'gerrum in.

It's awreight, av ad enough: a dunt drink much anyway, a spill most er it!

Does tha fancy abseilin' ?

Naw a get dizzy in thick socks!

Replying to tO 20 , have you considered the distortion of English by numerous Southerners? i.e. a roind poind (round pound)

Not seen thee for yonks

Yonks meaning a long time, did anyone else use this and if so where does it come from?

Originally posted by Alanbro

One of my work colleagues, from down south, once asked me if I had got far to travel to Meadowhall, whereupon I replied in my Sheffield accent : "It's near on t' mi!" He then asked, "Where's 0ntami ?

I don't understand that one either. :huh:

RE: language "distortion", that is what I was saying really - just becase "my Uncle from ____ says ____ therefore that MUST be their local dialect" is not true anymore because of the fluidity of language these days. It's still fairly likely to be true, but basing it on one person isn't enough to assume it is the original local dialect for the area in which that one person lives.

I was surprised some years ago to read an article on the Sheffield dialect in a fairly obscure Connecticut newspaper. Later, when The Full Monty hit the movie houses, I acted as an impromptu translater on such words as chuff, thissen and others, much to the delight of other patrons.

I travelled so much in Britain as a tech rep that I prided myself that I could tell someone where they came from within 25 miles, but our accent was always the best. Over here for some peculiar reason some people think I'm Irish, which gets me free beer on Paddy's day, but my wife is pure Irish from Clare and it's funny when friends ask her to say thursday. Of course its torsdy

I live near Nottingham and nearly all the words mentioned in this thred are still used in the Nottingham area today,the worst accent has got to be "Birmingham "i dont know anyone who actualy likes it including "Brummies"

Have we had "Sithi" yet? As in "see thee" or "look here".

My nan used to say that all the time.

Also - have to point out that "Bobbar" made me laugh as you don't here it that often in SoCal. Heh... :)

Here`s one I`ve never heard anywhere else- "our gert" meaning wife. I started to think Gertrude was a popular name until I realised. (I`m from Cleveland)

Tonight I heared myself saying "that's rammy" (thats awful or bad), anybody any ideas where that word originates

Originally posted by rainbow2411

Tonight I heared myself saying "that's rammy" (thats awful or bad), anybody any ideas where that word originates

Similar in origin to 'claggy', but usually used in reference to foodstuffs (at least where I come from). I use most of the words listed on here. I didn't realise that some of them weren't reight English!

Let's see, then:

Oo worree wee?

Worree wee izsen?

(Who was he with? Was he alone?)

On tha tod

(alone)

Put wood in'oil

Shut dooer too (this one confuses Americans, I've found)

(close the door)

Asta gorreny...

(have you got any...)

Am gooin daan' chipoil, yerwanowt?

(I'm going to the fish and chip shop. Would you like anything?)

what about the phrase "slakey"?

(referring to streaks on a window, normally, used after the cleaning of them.. as in "the window cleaner has left the windows reyt slakey!"

it was a phrase that my mother in law used a lot.

PT

How about chuffin, or tha chuff thee, or I'm chuffed