Old Sheffield dialect

coy-ill in sheffield commonly called coal els where

What about coy-ill oil? any ideas

Edited by bazjea

hope this is local - coo-ert -maybe pronounced in posher districts as coat.

Once, as a teenager, probably in the late 60s, I went with my late dad (born in the mid 20s) to his local (working men's) club. He was treasurer of their fishing club and had gone to meet some others to check and agree some monies. One was reading out a list of numbers as the other checked it off. When they case to the figure "0", they would say "ought", I presume that was how it was spelled, to rhyme with nought, and meaning the same. I've never heard the word before or since, but it was certainly the normal word for my dad and his mates. Is this a local word?

The common ones I remember as a kid were spice, breadcake and while, plus quite a few of the others.

I'm now in my 60s. I don't particularly think of myself as having much of a local accent. At least I didn't until my daughter (who is 11) started picking me up on it. She really notices when I miss the ends off words, and corrects me. (So I find myself doing it even more just to wind her up). We live in what most people regard as a "posh" area of Sheffield and I've now got to meet many of the parents of her schoolfriends. Many of these are out of towners who stayed on after doing their degree here. I don't think I'm a big user of local dialects, but my accent certainly stands out.

That was where we kept the"coyl". You either had a coyl ouse or a coyl bunker depending how posh you were.

We called it coyal oyal: coal hole: Our coal house was outside and if it was Silin dahn me dad made me fetch coyal in.

---------- Post added 25-03-2016 at 23:47 ----------

guz under = chamber pot if you were posh,or p--s pot if you were dead common

My Grandad lived Ont cliff and he carried the Geremiah down their stairs without spilling a drop.

maybe it's time you moved then:P

There has to be a Sheffield expression for that line !

---------- Post added 26-03-2016 at 00:18 ----------

In West Yorkshire they refer to 'lakin' about i.e. playing about (particularly relates to kids out playing). Is this something also used in Sheffield?

In the '60s my job sometimes took me to a factory in Chapletown and sitting in the canteen one Monday morning, two blokes from that area sat nearby were discussing the football game they had been to in Sheffield at the weekend. 'Arr he's a reight laker that winger o' theirs' 'Mecks other lakers look daft'. Took me quite a while to work most of that out. They were talking about George Best incidentally.

---------- Post added 26-03-2016 at 00:27 ----------

In the week of the passing of Barry Hines (R.I.P.) a lot of these sayings have been mentioned in his obituaries, although he was from Hoyland Common, the expressions have permeated through !

---------- Post added 26-03-2016 at 00:39 ----------

I once called a workmate on the phone one evening and his mother on answering informed me that 'He was in Jerusalem right now' and having been with him a few hours earlier knew that it couldn't be the place in Israel and no pubs named that where he lived -which was 'ont' Wybourn- he was taking a nap but that was a new saying to me.

Edited by stpetre
spell

When I was at school the teacher put some words up on the board for us to put in a sentence and one was coil and one lad wrote,

Today the coil man delivered some coil

I once called a workmate on the phone one evening and his mother on answering informed me that 'He was in Jerusalem right now' and having been with him a few hours earlier knew that it couldn't be the place in Israel and no pubs named that where he lived -which was 'ont' Wybourn- he was taking a nap but that was a new saying to me.

Never heard that before.

Just a guess ...

"Last night I lay a sleeping. There came a dream so fair.

I stood in old Jerusalem, beside the temple there

......."

In Sheffield you park the car in the garidge...elsewhere it goes in the garage.

We go for dinner and eat pork but my wife simply could not understand why my nephews were ordering puherk chops.

In Sheffield you park the car in the garidge...elsewhere it goes in the garage.

We go for dinner and eat pork but my wife simply could not understand why my nephews were ordering puherk chops.

pey's instead of peas as well.

......'arin' abaaat........haring about (running about).

"worrit"= was it. Or wasn't it.

Was it is reight, wasn't it is werntit