Domestic violence can be funny?

Genuine question.

Can it?

I never thought so, I've been on the receiving end of it for some years now. Thankfully it's over now. I never notified the police because as a man I thought I wouldn't be taken seriously. I'm glad I never bothered because as I have now spoken about it to a number of people recently I've been disturbed by the reactions.

It's ranged from shock ( one person genuinely seemed horrified) to smirks (the men usually do this) to out right laughing ( surprisingly this is the most common reaction from women)

Like I say, I'm glad I didn't waste my time going to the police although a few years ago I spoke to my gp about it.

I get councilling now to help deal with it. It helps a little so I think I'll stick to talking about it only in my councilling sessions.

Oh, and on here. On here I can't see if anyone is smirking, laughing or is genuinely understanding.

That's fine with me.

Anyway, it helped getting that off my chest.

Thanks for reading this

Domestic violence is wrong full stop regardless who is the abuser. I think the problem in the UK is men are meant to be Mr Macho so must act like that.

Dimple, glad that it's over, can't imagine what it must have been like to go through that and not have the support of friends or family, and not to trust the police. No one should have to do that.

It's good of you to put that out here to the Forum, a good reminder to others that they aren't alone. I hope someone more knowledgeable than myself will post some resources that work. And wouldn't it be great if someone could tell us that the police will take all forms of domestic abuse seriously?

(I will say that a male member of my family was subject to stalking, and the Sheffield police dealt with it really, really well.)

I'm sorry fr what you've been through and it is most defiantly not a laughing matter. I'm glad you're getting the support you need but I'm ashamed of the responses you've had.

I'm surprised that people can be so insensitive and rude to someone who has had the courage to speak about his experiences.

Going through the experience of d.v. could destroy your trust in people; but then for people to laugh at your experiences must be horrible for you. Just know that if they think it's funny, then that says more about their warped little minds than it does about your situation.

Edited by Mister M

Good on you Dimple... and I hope that your life from now on is a lot happier. :thumbsup:

Genuine question.

Can it?

I never thought so, I've been on the receiving end of it for some years now. Thankfully it's over now. I never notified the police because as a man I thought I wouldn't be taken seriously. I'm glad I never bothered because as I have now spoken about it to a number of people recently I've been disturbed by the reactions.

It's ranged from shock ( one person genuinely seemed horrified) to smirks (the men usually do this) to out right laughing ( surprisingly this is the most common reaction from women)

Like I say, I'm glad I didn't waste my time going to the police although a few years ago I spoke to my gp about it.

I get councilling now to help deal with it. It helps a little so I think I'll stick to talking about it only in my councilling sessions.

Oh, and on here. On here I can't see if anyone is smirking, laughing or is genuinely understanding.

That's fine with me.

Thanks for reading this

You aren't alone dimple.

It goes beyond the likes of SF too. I recall all sorts of mirth from the papers when Ross kemp reported Rebekah brooks for assault. One can only imagine had it been the other way.

Thanks for reading this

Kudos to you sir, for being so open about your experience. Glad to hear things are improving for you, and I hope they continue to do so.

Generally, I think society finds violence against men much more acceptable than violence against women; this manifests in many subtle ways. Of course, to point this out is unmanly (as men, we're supposed to just shut up and deal with it; and if we don't or can't, then we're not 'men').

In answer to the topic subject line; no, violence is not funny, and you're gender has no bearing on the matter.

Absolutely agreed with the other posters. Huge respect for being open about it, perhaps if more people did the stigma would be less and there would be more help for men who often end up suffering in silence as they are afraid of the response.

It's never funny no matter the gender or how the abuse is done. Hope things start looking up for you now.

Watch any Punch & Judy show to find out just how hilarious domestic violence can be.

It's vastly under reported and the statistics about it are most likely on the low side because of this, but when reported I understand that the police should/do take it seriously.

There was a video from thee mankind institute post a couple of year ag0 which nicely illustrates the difference in attitudes towards domestic violence against menand women.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/10858831/Domestic-violence-viral-ad-the-real-difference-between-attacks-on-women-and-attacks-on-men.html