Giant new Tesco on Spital Hill / Saville Street.

According to http://www.mylocaltesco.co.uk/sheffieldextra/ the shop will be open from a minute past midnight on a Monday morning, and 11/5 on a Sunday.

The only time I can remember supermarkets opening at a minute past midnight was a couple of years ago when there was a Sunday right before Christmas (22/23 December) and supermarkets were opening at one minute past midnight on the Monday morning (23/24 Dec?).

Looking good, so far - Tesco Extra

That's really unfair, and I sympathize, but they would still have to get someone to replace you at your Express Store, so they are not really gaining anything, I suppose.

actualy believe it or not but my shop is way overstaffed so we was encouraged to apply :loopy: mental i know x

Edited by sharonxxxx

Tesco should be paying for them as part of the original plans. Be interesting to see how much they agreed to pay though and if it covers the work. They should really be paying for a roundabout, not a few sets of lights as it's going to create lots of traffic problems.

The bus lane on Spital Hill has been made even more pointless than it was before, it's now the length of about 3 busses and has been painted green. It also has camera signs so entering that pointless stretch of green will cost you 60quid! Everyone who wants to go left onto Savile Street or straight on under the Wicker arches now has to block the right hand lane until someone lets them in, creating yet more traffic problems.

Now I am generally a fan of bus lanes and always abide by them (they are there for a good reason) but even I have to agree this is the most pointless bus lane ever! I thought that they might do away with it as part of the road works outside Tesco and was gobsmacked to see that they have put it back in only in a more pointless format. I just can't believe this can do anything to improve bus times, it just causes chaos and irritation amongst drivers. I go down there every day on my way to work, I don't go in the bus lane (I was once stung with a fine for going in a similarly pointless bus lane in London) so like a law abiding citizen I go in the right hand lane, and then have the task of pulling back to the left hand lane into a queue of cars who have ignored the bus lane, and who are hacked off with me because they think I have nipped down the right hand side to jump ahead of them. Meanwhile, cars behind me who want to turn right generally hoot and gesticulate at me for blocking their way while I wait for someone to let me in to the left hand lane - I would say that around 50% of the time it is a BUS that eventually lets me in ahead of it! Grrr. Gets my goat every single day, and now to add insult to injury I have to go through this pointless ridiculous process whilst sitting in the shadow of the evil Tesco.

Tesco has put a full page advert in tonight's Star. It has a map of Sheffield with the red dot that supposed to show the store's location. Problem is the red dot is not where the store is. Good job it's large and bright enough to be seen from a distance.

Yes, the area's bound to be busier than normal, but, don't forget, it will be open 24 hours per day, so I don't think it will be too bad, once the novelty has wore off.

You think people will stay at work until 9pm, then nip to Tesco's on the way home, just to avoid the queues?

Your employer would love that