Giant new Tesco on Spital Hill / Saville Street.

On the other hand, an awful lot of people in a poor area who previously didn't have access to a vast choice of food at good value prices are now able to shop within walking distance of their homes, to say nothing of all the jobs it's brought to a deprived area.

Progress? I think so.

The place is designed with car drivers in mind, not local people.

Burngreave has a great selection of local shops selling all sorts of food at good prices, and even though this store is designed for people in cars, Tesco still feels the need to screw all the local shops over.

All they jobs? Not as many as they will take putting everyone else out of business.

Progress? 18 branches of Tesco with in 8 miles is world domination, not progress.

It's certainly beyond debate that they didn't employ as many locals as promised. I live in Burngreave and know scores of people that were turned away. I've been there today, in the car, spent £50! There's a good view of the city from the cafe. Perhaps a plaque showing the landmarks would be good, plus the bits of lost history to which I've already alluded.

Every little helps!

Tesco is taking over the world, who will save sheffield from tesco. where are the lone ranger, and superman when you need them.

The place is designed with car drivers in mind, not local people. .

If that were the case why build a massive new supermarket in a deprived inner city area notorious for its traffic problems? Why not build it on some out of town retail park just off the motorway?

Burngreave has a great selection of local shops selling all sorts of food at good prices, and even though this store is designed for people in cars, Tesco still feels the need to screw all the local shops over.

Can't say I've ever thought of Burngreave as a great shopping area. Okay if you like asian food, but not much variety and expensive for day to day items.

All they jobs? Not as many as they will take putting everyone else out of business..

If local shops want to survive they have to offer something different from the big supermarkets. If enough people use them they'll stay open, if not they'll shut. Market forces always ensure people get the shops they want.

Progress? 18 branches of Tesco with in 8 miles is world domination, not progress.

No-one's forcing you to shop at Tesco, but many people, myself included, will. It's about time we had a major supermarket within walking distance of the city centre.

It's certainly beyond debate that they didn't employ as many locals as promised. I live in Burngreave and know scores of people that were turned away.

I dont know you're friends situation but Tesco had to widen their search for suitable applicants due to the language barrier. Im not saying that people you know dont speak English, this is what i've been told from someone who works there. Maybe they were turned away because they were not suitable ?

If that were the case why build a massive new supermarket in a deprived inner city area notorious for its traffic problems? Why not build it on some out of town retail park just off the motorway?

It's on the inner relief road which most traffic has been routed onto.

Can't say I've ever thought of Burngreave as a great shopping area. Okay if you like asian food, but not much variety and expensive for day to day items.

I am on about the excellent selection of fruit /veg / Asian food, this new store has a massive World Food section.

If local shops want to survive they have to offer something different from the big supermarkets. If enough people use them they'll stay open, if not they'll shut. Market forces always ensure people get the shops they want.

They did, so Tesco started selling it all.

No-one's forcing you to shop at Tesco, but many people, myself included, will. It's about time we had a major supermarket within walking distance of the city centre.

How many people who live in the center of Sheffield are going to walk to it for their weekly shop? Hardly anyone!

How many people who live in the center of Sheffield are going to walk to it for their weekly shop? Hardly anyone!

I'd have thought anybody who lives in the city centre would not go here but to Waitrose and if that's to expensive then they've always got the Sainsburys off Arundle Gate, Co-op opp Town Hall or Tesco on West St to name a few.

I suppose that goes for any supermarket in any area. Unless of course they are going to walk there, and get a taxi back - I wouldn't fancy carrying a weekly shop back home!

I'd have thought anybody who lives in the city centre would not go here but to Waitrose and if that's to expensive then they've always got the Sainsburys off Arundle Gate, Co-op opp Town Hall or Tesco on West St to name a few.

Yeah, 'cos the city-centre Sainsbury's, Co-op and Tesco's stores are sooooo much cheaper than Waitrose :hihi:

If I lived in the city centre, I'd shop at Poundland

Still prefer Handsworth ASDA, bigger, better and more choice

Still prefer Handsworth ASDA, bigger, better and more choice

And cheaper. Much cheaper.