Giant new Tesco on Spital Hill / Saville Street.

It's about time we got a supermarket around here - I'm all for catering for everyone, but at the moment I have to travel either to Hillsborough or Ecclesfield Morrisons to do my big weekly shop.

I have a car and hate Tesco so either shop at Waitrose or the Osman supermarket on Spital Hill. This development should be a good thing and will improve that area no end. I am hoping all the people that shop at the local shops will continue to do so as most of what we get locally Tesco don't stock or charge a fortune for. It is a concern they way they pretend to be working along side the local retailers then suddenly start stocking products that are not generally in there range. A good example is the Polish Deli opposite Tesco on infirmary road has suddenly got competition from Tesco and there new Polish range, currently restricted to that branch!

I wondered what all the redevelopment work was for on Spital Hill.

I wondered what all the redevelopment work was for on Spital Hill.

That's just the ringroad, Tesco have not started yet.

A link to the plans for Tesco and their latest plan to take over the world.. It's quite scary!!

In the year 2084 surplus citizens of the state will be programmed to fill their days by endlessly walking round a humungous Tesco store.

As predicted the Tesco tentacles are spreading themselves everywhere!! :help:

Well where I live the choice for food shopping is either a Kwik Save with hardly any stock or a horrendously overpriced Co-Op, so I'd be delighted if Tesco opened a supermarket within walking distance of my home.

Well where I live the choice for food shopping is either a Kwik Save with hardly any stock or a horrendously overpriced Co-Op, so I'd be delighted if Tesco opened a supermarket within walking distance of my home.

Totally agree Basil, I can't wait. I have lived in my present house in Pitsmoor for 11 years and in all that time, I have complained about the lack of a decent supermarket. We haven't even got a decent green grocers round here! Plus, I don't drive so it's buses and the odd taxi for me for my weekly shop!

To be honest, although generally I would disaprove of a huge tesco, this development also includes other shops for an area that needs them. Also it includes offices for small business and a lot of parking spaces, neither of which can't be a bad thing.

How the heck are these corner shops expected to compete. there used to be FIVE greengrocers and as many newsagents in Hunters Bar. Thanks to the likes of Tesco, Safeway etc they all went out of business.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/?pgid=101642&fs=s

A link to the plans for Tesco and their latest plan to take over the world.. It's quite scary!!

I know this is completely off-topic but couldn't resist:

Does anyone else think the people who are "keeping sheffield safe" look a bit "Full Monty"? Maybe it's the back-to-back-ness of them coupled with the uniforms and slightly unnerving smiles?