Help with depression, stress and anxiety

For the past2 or so years I have been suffering somewhat with Depression, postnatal depression, stress, anxiety and general feeling of hopelessness.

I have had many investigations by health professionals and so far they've all been inconclusive. How do I drag myself out of this feeling? Every day it feels like another part of me has died inside and I can't seem to make anyone understand.

What else can I do?

Unfortunately because there is no physical symptoms it sometimes feels that a lot of people a) don't understand and b) think that depression is just feeling a bit down! One of the big things that I find helps me when depression strikes is exercise - both in terms of burning off some of the excess stress hormones and just in kick starting my body. A walk in the country/woods also helps. However these are short term things and long term depression / anxiety do need a proper therapeutic approach. Have you tried any antidepressants? They do take a while to kick in and you will probably find that you need to experiment as some have no (or even negative) effects while others will be helpful. If you haven't had a referral to a psychiatrist and/or counselor then that is most definitely worth asking your GP for. Unfortunately the therapy with the best documented outcomes is Cognitive Behoural Therapy which can take 2+ years to get on the NHS :(

I second Neil's opinion. I've also been in the same position on more than one occasion. I was lucky and got CBT within a few months as i got a trainee (who was fabulous!) i've been off antidepresants for over a year now (the longest i've been off them for a long time) and so far i'm doing well. I have depressed times, but the CBT comes back to me and i get through it.

I find also that exercise (when i am able) or just making sure i get lots of proper sunlight helps.

Cutting out caffeine can also help with anxiety and stress/panic.

I agree the last two posts. I struggled with depression on and off for 15-20 years but it wasn't until having Cognitive Therapy that I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It helps you challenge negative thoughts and over time it does really work. Also hormones can play a big part in how you feel. I put my depression down to my pregnancy losses but later I realised I had an hormone imbalance most of my life and it wasn't till I was going through an early menopause that I realised something could be done about it. Now instead of just existing I can enjoy life and I feel capable of making rational decisions rather than living on my emotions

The first thing to say is that you are not alone.

Quite a few of us on here have suffered from varying amounts of depression, and you're right - sometimes it can feel that teh whole world is out to kick your ass.

First of all, start to look at the basics of your life - what's your diet like, for example? Sometimes what we drink or eat (or equally what we DON'T eat) can have a major effect. Your hormones might also still be out of kilter, or there might be defiiciencies of vitamins like B6 and B12 - any number of things.

Have you ever been prescribed any medication?

Ihave seen a psychiatrist and he decided anti depressants wouldn't help. He decided that once I had got to the root of my condition I would be ok (can't go into detail) personally I cannot see an end to it, and thats what is upsetting me so much.

My family and close friends judge me because I don't work, its not my fault I cannot cope. I just don't see any way out and I can say with my hand on my heart if it was not for me having kids, I would not be here now

Ask for a second opinion. If this has been going on for 2 years then it's not something that is just going to evaporate :( Have you been offered any sort of therapy our counseling to "get to the root of your condition" or just left to get on with it?

Do you mind me asking if it all began due to a 'known cause'?

Whichever, hang in there, and don't cave in to the wider public's ignorance and stupdity regarding this debilitating illness...which is legally defined as a disability.

i too have been on the edge a time or two hun, depression is a very hard thing to drag yourself out of, there is light at the end of the tunnel even though you cannot see it yet, i tried self help and it did great things for me, what you have to do is, whenever you have a negative thought about anything, you have to immediatly think of a possitive to counter balance it, it is HARD at first but after a few weeks of doing it it comes natural, i also tell myself how special i am, it may seem big headed but nobody is gonna love you if you dont love yourself, try not to be too hard on yourself, we are merely human beings and there are loadsa people on here who would be there for you if ever you needed them, me included, if ever you wanna talk bout things just pm me ok, take care x x x x

Ihave seen a psychiatrist and he decided anti depressants wouldn't help. He decided that once I had got to the root of my condition I would be ok (can't go into detail) personally I cannot see an end to it, and thats what is upsetting me so much.

My family and close friends judge me because I don't work, its not my fault I cannot cope. I just don't see any way out and I can say with my hand on my heart if it was not for me having kids, I would not be here now

Your family and friends might not be judging you as harshly as you believe, a big part of being depressed is believing other people think the worst of you. They're probably very worried in actual fact.

I really think you need to get a second opinion from another psychiatrist or GP.

Good luck.

I felt like that too many times. I do believe sometimes kids are the only thing that keeps you going. It's easy to say but try to hold on in there and talk to friends, people on here when you feel that low. I know you may feel the last thing you want to do is see people when we feel so low but I've found that pushing myself to do things sometimes has been very theraputic. I think you have to listen to your own body and if you have a particularly off day and want to curl up in bed then do so as long as it's not all the time. I know it's easier said than done with kids. I too have struggled to work because when I have I have become stressed very easily however without having something to occupy your mind depression can get worse. I find concentrating on a hobby helps. Don't let others judge you because they don't know how it feels only you will know when you are well enough to cope with extra pressure.

I feel for you, as I've been there too, and I have to say to you that *a* psychiatrist is NOT the be all and end all of assessing your problem. I wouldn't want this to turn into a separate debate, but psychiatrists are some of the most divided and *wrong in the head* professionals in the health service! Keep demanding proper help and an alternative viewpoint until you get a worker who empathises and for whom you feel a click of understanding.

Is your GP sympathetic? Have you considered changing to another GP who is more empathetic? Although it will not 'cure' you, it makes all the difference in the world knowing there is someone who 'gets it', and you can hold onto that fact even if you feel that people in the civilian world are being impatient or don't understand. Ask about getting a CPN or being referred to a drop in centre where you'll be assigned a key worker. That person would be your bedrock and confidante to get you through this, and would help you get the further support (eg CBT) you need. Good luck. :)