Why do people drive to/from work?

Well I drive to work because I work across opposite side of Sheffield to where I live and if I tried to get a bus or two, it would take me an hour to get there at least and would probably cost me more in bus tickets than in fuel. If I drive it takes me half an hour. Gone are the days of cheap reliable buses Im afraid.

Sorry to all the Green Brigade :loopy: but I learned to drive for a reason!!!

Caz

Because there's no practical alternative for me.

Despite work being precisely 10 miles it would take me over 3 times as long (1:30hrs) each way on public transport. An extra 2 hrs a day is simply not something I will consider.

I make an effort to car share though, 4 days of the week, takes an extra 5 mins each way.

so a slightly different slant on this, if you drive because you have no other choice, or for work resaons how frustrating is it to sit in congestion alongside drivers who do have a choice, who could walk, cycle or use Public Transport?

Because I don't know the other drivers from Adam I personally don't even think about it - very likely they could be other people who need to drive for work reasons or have no choice. They don't have labels on them.

so a slightly different slant on this, if you drive because you have no other choice, or for work resaons how frustrating is it to sit in congestion alongside drivers who do have a choice, who could walk, cycle or use Public Transport?

Ahhh now thats a whole different kettle of fish. If you are on about the school run mob who live a stones throw away from the school, it's not frustrating, it is infuriating. :rant:

I work only about 3 miles from home, but I take the car because:

1. It takes only about 15 minutes to get to work by car. (I avoid the City Centre traffic).

2. It takes over an hour by bus - I would have to catch 2, changing over in the city centre, so CAN'T avoid the city centre traffic! Before I got my car, sometimes the journey home would take hour and a half - half the buses didnt turn up.

3. Petrol costs me only about £7 per week, and that includes all other journey's on my days off - bus pass would cost me £15 per week.

4. I couldn't possibly walk all that way - and no, I'm not lazy, I do a 8 hour shift and also am reasonably active. I suffer from asthma and have arthritis.

5. I am lucky enough to have free parking at work.

6. It took me ages to pass my test, and cost a fortune on driving lessons, why would I leave the car at home???

7. I actually LOVE driving - whether stuck in traffic or not!

SO THERE!!!!!!!:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: