Why do people drive to/from work?

I'm one of the people who actually have moved because of problems travelling to work. I first moved to Bramley, from the West side of Donny, when I was relocated to Brightside in 1991. That was an easy drive, and congestion wasn't too bad then. Also both kids were grown up, one left home and working, the other at uni, so didn't need to stay put. Moved again after struggling to get to work in the centre of Sheffield. Bus services kept reducing, and driving down the M1 became a joke most days. Now living in Hillsborough with the tram on my doorstep and a selection of buses is so much easier, and we've got rid of the second car - it wasn't just the petrol that cost money!

Its obvious there are far too many cars on the road, but one solution doesn't fit all. Perhaps more companies could expand their flexible working schemes so some people could start work at 7, instead of 8, and finish at 7 instead of 6? The reduction in traffic at school holiday times is amazing, more free school buses may be one answer, or more organised walking groups to school? I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of peak time charging comes into force in many city centres with public transport routes getting real priority. However, I think much more investment is needed to expand tram routes, and transport companies have to take a more proactive role in policing the behaviour of some bus and tram travellers. I can totally understand why people don't choose to share their travelling time with some of the oafs and inconsiderated individuals using the buses/trams!

So stress on the motorway and finding a space to park in the city, or stress by having to stand all the way into town, being irritated by some tinny noise coming from someone's badly fitting earphones, or worse from their phone! I think living near enough to walk tp work must be the best solution!

I was going to post a response, but I think I'll wait a couple of hours till this thread has over a hundred replies from irate motorists who think the world revolves around them and their car.......

Here Here! I work in Rotherham live in Sheffield I get the 69 every day. Every day I travel on the same roads between Sheffield and Rotherham in a traffic jam with the same cars with the same one person in. If all these people (heaven forbid) got the bus there would be no traffic jam and everyone gets home quicker hoorayyyy.

Except they would rather die than get the bus then moan about traffic jams, speed cameras, petrol prices etc:hihi:

i used to car share but now i have just passed my test i have been driving in. Its soo convenient. I dont know how far away i live from work but i know its waaay too far to walk. Its so annoying getting the bus as i was often late for work. now i can drive in i can get here early and save that all important flexi.

It is actually cheaper for me to bring the car in than getting a bus!

Have you seen carterknowle rd?! After a 9 hour shift, cycling up that hill in the rain isnt something I want to be doing :P

I'm aware of hills, i cycle up them every day! It makes you feel fitter, happier and less stressed and actually less tired.

Here Here! I work in Rotherham live in Sheffield I get the 69 every day. Every day I travel on the same roads between Sheffield and Rotherham in a traffic jam with the same cars with the same one person in. If all these people (heaven forbid) got the bus there would be no traffic jam and everyone gets home quicker hoorayyyy.

Except they would rather die than get the bus then moan about traffic jams, speed cameras, petrol prices etc:hihi:

i used to car share but now i have just passed my test i have been driving in. Its soo convenient. I dont know how far away i live from work but i know its waaay too far to walk. Its so annoying getting the bus as i was often late for work. now i can drive in i can get here early and save that all important flexi.

It is actually cheaper for me to bring the car in than getting a bus!

If only we could resolve this conflict of interests. Put all the icklesweets in the world on a bus and no more traffic. Why is it that bus prices are so stupidly high? Privatisation.

Well i use my van for work - and i leave for work at midnight so very little traffic on teh roads- and i'm in a gas van so not doing as much harm

I sit at my bedroom window watching them all getting annoyed in the queues and it makes me laugh!

We've jsut been to prague and they have the best tram system in the world - hundreds of trams hunderds of routes every few mins - yet they all still use their cars

It's great to see people using the supertram - they just need to extend it more i think