Why do people drive to/from work?

A. Pretty much every one chooses where they live.

B. Pretty much every one chooses where they work.

If A is some distance form B, it makes sense to check if there is public transport available between the two.

If you reject the above choices then you have chosen to be dependent on your car. This also means that when you complain about the cost of petrol, traffic, bad roads etc, your complaints are invalid because you have chosen to endure these inconveniences. If you're unhappy, well whose fault is that then?

What rubbish. Yes, I chose my workplace, and my place of residence. Then I got made redudant and had to take a job that is further away. Under your rules that seems to mean that I now have to move house in order to be closer to work, so I don't have to use my car. Well, that might make some kind of sense to you, but it certainly doesn't to me.

AND BREATH.......... who says all us car owners are fatties.... :nono:

oh give over :P , look at the puncutation and supply a pause at a comma and full stop. there are plenty of breaths in there. suppose forum readers get too used to sound bytes rather than a vaguely comprehensive view on a subject

no-one said that all car owners are fatties, where did you read that? :rolleyes:

How does a plumber or a builder or a salesman or an insurance assessor or an estate agent choose to be car dependant?

This one is a no brainer:

By being one of the above mentioned professions they choose to do a job which will require a lot of transportation. Still doesn't mean they don't have feet with which they can walk or cycle. Or maybe even walk to a bus stop.

What rubbish. Yes, I chose my workplace, and my place of residence. Then I got made redudant and had to take a job that is further away. Under your rules that seems to mean that I now have to move house in order to be closer to work, so I don't have to use my car. Well, that might make some kind of sense to you, but it certainly doesn't to me.

It made perfect sense. You have chosen to live far away from work and, hence, from time to time suffer in the terrible Sheffield traffic.

Is it not possible to either walk or cycle, or perhaps use the bus or railway to get to your new job?

This one is a no brainer:

By being one of the above mentioned professions they choose to do a job which will require a lot of transportation. Still doesn't mean they don't have feet with which they can walk or cycle. Or maybe even walk to a bus stop.

But they can't do their job without a vehicle! I'm sure they are perfectly happy strolling around on a Saturday or Sunday.

Would you prefer they chose another job? Maybe if everyone chose to do a job close to home in a cosy little office with regular hours we could give up cars and the planet would be saved. The economy, on the other hand, would be shafted.

But they can't do their job without a vehicle! I'm sure they are perfectly happy strolling around on a Saturday or Sunday.

Would you prefer they chose another job? Maybe if everyone chose to do a job close to home in a cosy little office with regular hours we could give up cars and the planet would be saved. The economy, on the other hand, would be shafted.

Why can't they? I have never worked in these professsions so need further explanation please.

Why can't they? I have never worked in these professsions so need further explanation please.

Okay I'll use my job as an example. I run a small business. I visit customers across the UK. I attend trade shows in Birmingham and London. I shift heavy boxes (loads of about 150kg a time) between 3 Sheffield companies on an, almost, daily basis. I could not do this without a vehicle.

I had a recent meeting in Bury St Edmonds. I checked the public transport option. To make an 10am meeting I'd've had to leave the previous evening! By taking a car I got there in good time and was able to visit 2 other customers on the way back. Had I been on the train I would've had to have made additional trips to the see the other customers later in the week.

A. Pretty much every one chooses where they live.

B. Pretty much every one chooses where they work.

If A is some distance form B, it makes sense to check if there is public transport available between the two.

If you reject the above choices then you have chosen to be dependent on your car. This also means that when you complain about the cost of petrol, traffic, bad roads etc, your complaints are invalid because you have chosen to endure these inconveniences. If you're unhappy, well whose fault is that then?

At the very least this fails to take into account that many people have children and / or partners to consider, who may not want to move schools and jobs and communities just so one member of the family can change jobs.

Okay I'll use my job as an example. I run a small business. I visit customers across the UK. I attend trade shows in Birmingham and London. I shift heavy boxes (loads of about 150kg a time) between 3 Sheffield companies on an, almost, daily basis. I could not do this without a vehicle.

I had a recent meeting in Bury St Edmonds. I checked the public transport option. To make an 10am meeting I'd've had to leave the previous evening! By taking a car I got there in good time and was able to visit 2 other customers on the way back. Had I been on the train I would've had to have made additional trips to the see the other customers later in the week.

Use of a car makes perfect sense then but please remember that the thread I posted to start this topic asked why people who live under 3 miles from their workplace would drive. The distance covered by your example is clearly above 3 miles and thus is really not relevant.

Relating my initial post to the professions mentioned; I fail to see why a builder who lives less that 3 miles from work (whereever that location is in a particular week/month) couldn't walk, cycle or catch the bus. The same for an estate agent, unless of course they have appointments miles apart with a 10minute gap between them. A Plumber would, I assume require the use of a van to carry parts and (possibly) heavy tools; that makes sense.