Why do people drive to/from work?

Ah, but Basil, people will now say (and I can't believe they haven't already) that they can't afford to live near where they work!

By the way, I know of a chap (through someone else, I've never actually met him I admit) who is a builder and cycles to the places he's working on. Apparently he can cover 800 miles in a week :gag: !!!

I presume he works 7 days/week.

That makes 800/7, about 115 miles a day.

Now bikes are better than "when I were a lad" and Ken Joy was the first to ride 100 miles in 4 hours on the road. I never did better than 4 hrs 23 for 100 miles, on a racing bike with no excess baggage, and I was not fit to work after it for some hours.

So he's only doing 57 miles out and 57 back each day, say 2 hrs 30 at racing speed.

If he can really do that, and a day's work as well, I salute him!

Now bikes are better than "when I were a lad" and Ken Joy was the first to ride 100 miles in 4 hours on the road. I never did better than 4 hrs 23 for 100 miles, on a racing bike with no excess baggage, and I was not fit to work after it for some hours.

So he's only doing 57 miles out and 57 back each day, say 2 hrs 30 at racing speed.

I suspect he was exaggerating slightly :D I think he travels between different sites during the day, it can quickly accumulate. He did have huge thighs too ;)

I used to walk to work, but I never would now iv got my car...

Cars make you so bloody lazy!

To be fair though, i do 9 hour shifts finishing at 0030, so im always tired (and its usually raining by then!) when i finish...

I live about 2 miles from work and the walk home is up Carterknowle rd. Is that fair enough or am I being lazy? I can't decide!

Joel x

hahahaha. I love it!

I used to walk to work, but I never would now iv got my car...

Cars make you so bloody lazy!

To be fair though, i do 9 hour shifts finishing at 0030, so im always tired (and its usually raining by then!) when i finish...

I live about 2 miles from work and the walk home is up Carterknowle rd. Is that fair enough or am I being lazy? I can't decide!

Joel x

2 miles! Get a bike! It'll take you about 5 minutes. You're definitely in the lazy bracket there.