Thoughts: What Marriage Doesn't Have Its Ups And Downs Over The Years?

We've been married 54 years next month, we met at Carfield Junior School when we were 8 and are just as much in love as we always were. 

We both had useless fathers who weren't role models but, we used this to be better parents for our kids. I hate it when people say they had a bad start in life so they can't be good parents. We've had illness, redundancy and no family support and things have been difficult but, we had each other and we built on that. 

Our kids are totally independent because we had to be and they respect that. 

You're a good role model the Daddy in spite of your ex that's the key, you don't give in. People may say we're lucky to have found each other all those years ago, maybe there is an element of luck because we haven't found it hard to stay together, if you want to be together it's easy. Just to add that, apart from our kids who are both still married to their original spouses, we're the only ones in our families not be divorced!

We disagree on lots of issues but, we accept that, we're male and female so we will but, we laugh much more than we argue, life's too sodding short especially at 75 years old! 

Regards

Duffems

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Engaged to one lass for 18 months in the ‘60s but that, as it turned out, wasn’t to be. Maybe I dodged a bullet there!

Subsequently met my future wife, took our vows and here we are 53 years later with three sons and two grandchildren. I think the two t’s, talking and tolerance are the key.

Despite all the inevitable successes and failures in life I know that I’ve been so lucky to have such a wonderful wife and family and in general I’ve had a happy time and enjoyed the journey.

It’s what you achieve between the day you’re born and the day you die that counts so ‘carpe diem’ fellow travellers before eternity catches up with you.

echo.

• Like 2

With a lass for years from a young age . Thought we would be together for life but she wanted more . In my 30s she scarpered . I thought my life was over and had many dark thoughts. A few years later I met The Good Lady and her two little kids . Best thing that ever happened to me .  The ex has been married twice since and is alone with her thoughts . Spoke to her son a while back and he said to me “ you did well , they usually only last a few years with her “  .  From the mouths of babes  eh . 

• Like 1

I met my husband when I was 16. We had many happy years. Some inevitable ups and downs but nothing serious. In the words of Joanie Mitchell you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

My great-grandma earned herself the nickname "Snip" because after an argument with her husband she cut off half of his moustache while he was asleep.  

Could have been worse!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

My marriage was OK at first. Plenty of laughs, plenty of good times.

Then I found out she was a cheating lying scumbag who was abusive and violent to boot.

It was all downhil from there. 

Having said that by that time we'd had two beautiful kids so even the (many) downs didn't seem to bad. 

Did you ask her for her thoughts? 

• Haha 1

On 05/05/2024 at 18:57, Padders said:

My marriage had plenty of "Ups" and "Downs"

Usually 3/4 times a week......

Not these days old lad 🤣🤣🤣🤣