Chancellor Announces £1 Million Towards Memorial For Muslim Soldiers

Message added by SheffieldForum

In such a sensitive topic, please post sensitively.

Posts have been removed for discrimination; and some for bickering, name-calling and other such things. Please report any posts that shouldn't be here. In particular, any form or discrimination or racism will not be tolerated and suspensions/bans will be given out.

Please debate the topic - sensibly - and not the person posting. If you don't like a particular poster, please put them on your ignore list in your settings to stop seeing their posts.

21 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

As he began his Budget speech on Wednesday, Jeremy Hunt vowed that past sacrifices made by those who lost their lives – no matter their faith, colour or class – will not be forgotten.

The bold.

Surely he missed his own point? It doesn't matter their choice of faith or the colour of their skin, what matters is that they fought and died for their country?

Or am I missing something obvious?

Interesting video on the subject here, points out a couple of things

Like i said in a previous post above, it will be a magnet to right wingers to vandalise it, and already apparently Laurence Fox has tweeted, good, something we can desecrate.

Also Old Nige has been on the case stating that memorials to the fallen go beyond a persons religion and all the fallen are equal, the video points out theres already a statue for Jews that gave their lives and also one for Sikhs.

On 06/03/2024 at 19:44, Axe said:

Do not need to read it again because the poster was clearly referring to a separate memorial for Muslim soldiers  being a waste of money. The poster did not say war memorials are a waste of money.

How is that that you never thought war memorials were a   "waste of money"    until it was suggested erecting one for the Muslims who died.

Rather a telling statement I think.

23 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I’d much rather the £1million was spent on something that does good in today’s world, perhaps the Muslim population would wish to contribute towards this. :huh:

If the government build another memorial then the Muslims among our population will already be contributing to it along with everyone else.

Remember where the government gets it's money from.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

I’d much rather the £1million was spent on something that does good in today’s world, perhaps the Muslim population would wish to contribute towards this. :huh:

they already do, theres muslims and mosques running foodbanks for those in need