How Much Longer Before Silly Price Increases Stop.

33 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Many of our farmers are in crisis apparently.

I've never understood why we stopped growing most of our own fruit and veg and started shipping it in from all round the world. 

Surely we should try to be as near to self sufficient in food as we can manage.

The farmers have been neglected for years now Anna.

As you say, we ship it  all in from around the world, why! because it's cheap........

I watch various farming programme's (Mainly countryfile)  on the TV and it's heartbreaking hearing their stories..

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

Many of our farmers are in crisis apparently.

I've never understood why we stopped growing most of our own fruit and veg and started shipping it in from all round the world. 

Surely we should try to be as near to self sufficient in food as we can manage.

What do you think British farmers heat up warehouses and glasshouses with?

Seen the price of gas and leccy lately?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/dec/06/uk-food-supply-crisis-farmers-nfu-fuel-fertiliser-feed

What do you think British farmers grow produce from?

Seen how difficult it has become to get hold of seeds in the past few years?

How much did British farmers come to rely on EU CAP payments to balance their books, after years and years of getting their screws turned by supermarket groups?

Seen what the government has replaced those CAP payments with?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/12/farmers-post-brexit-payments

How much did British farmers come to rely on paperwork-light/hassle-free EU seasonal workers for harvesting sensitive crops?

Seen how many came back since 2019?

<etc>

Yet most people have certainly been enjoying all-year-round produce at record low prices for just as long in the meantime…

….and what were the people saying to the farmers and other whistleblowers raising concerns about the above in all that time?

Nowt, indeed. Completely oblivious. Or ‘Project Fear’, more recently.

Well. You reap, you sow.

Edited by L00b
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, pintor said:

Personally I think these firms and others too are trying to get back what they lost during covid, they've found out that the public are gullible and are continuing to push prices while they can get away with it,  Morrisons used to be a good store, now I give it 2 - 2.5years and it'll be finished as we know it.

Errrm what did they lose in the pandemic? They were the main winners booming along with Amazon, onlinesellers and delivery companies

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

Errrm what did they lose in the pandemic? They were the main winners booming along with Amazon, onlinesellers and delivery companies

Correct. They were allowed to sell non essential goods while high street retailers who only sell non essential goods had to close.  I recall some of the supermarkets voluntary repaid covid money given to them by the government to help all businesses because they did so well during the lockdowns. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

When you live on just Ham and Cheese no wonder your food bill is low.  :hihi:

The fact remains my bill hasnt "nearly doubled". Yes its gone up, but maybe a tenner a week on a £60 spend.

Tinned tomatoes were 32p the other day, they werent 16p a year ago. Thats just one example,  so interested as to what Anna is buying.