2nd October 2022 Mass Bus Cuts Across South Yorkshire

Michael_N

2 minutes ago, dutch said:

It was 75or6  from firth park to town. I do think this happened on that day that arundal gate was closed and everything got messed up. This was rather extreme but on normal days it has been getting a lot bussier there lately.

I realise more than ever that this freedom to use a bus all depends on the drivers without them the bus will not come or go anywhere.

Driver availability is one of the main reliability issues and one of the reasons for the cuts, beyond the finanicial issues. 

Drivers are leaving in spades because of abuse from the public  & poor management. From what I've been told from a driver, imagine going into work having to be careful because your own bosses are looking for excuses to drag you into a disciplinary then going out on the road and having to sit through abuse from passengers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Resident said:

Driver availability is one of the main reliability issues and one of the reasons for the cuts, beyond the finanicial issues. 

Drivers are leaving in spades because of abuse from the public  & poor management. From what I've been told from a driver, imagine going into work having to be careful because your own bosses are looking for excuses to drag you into a disciplinary then going out on the road and having to sit through abuse from passengers.

I thought the First management was supposed to have been improved by the recentish changes - obviously not.

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I thought the First management was supposed to have been improved by the recentish changes - obviously not.

Only thing that improved last few years is the online computer location system that checks when and where the buses are. I still remember standing waiting long time and it would not be unusual to see 3 buses bumper to bumper coming, this has been sorted.

Lately certain buses have been busier than they used to be. But I have seen how certain people can give drivers a hard time. Often because they cannot pay or want a free ride, this seems to be getting worse since rising gasprices.

4 minutes ago, dutch said:

Only thing that improved last few years is the online computer location system that checks when and where the buses are. I still remember standing waiting long time and it would not be unusual to see 3 buses bumper to bumper coming, this has been sorted.

Lately certain buses have been busier than they used to be. But I have seen how certain people can give drivers a hard time. Often because they cannot pay or want a free ride, this seems to be getting worse since rising gasprices.

Fare evasion and fraud is a big issue in South Yorkshire however getting SYP on board to start tackling it is impossible. 

I've been on early morning buses (before 0630) and people purposely board with £20 notes knowing the driver won't have change & expecting a free ride, then getting face on when driver says no free ride. 

I've been told that MANY Sheffield Hallam Uni IDs are fake and can be purchased online for under £7. 

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
7 hours ago, Resident said:

Fare evasion and fraud is a big issue in South Yorkshire however getting SYP on board to start tackling it is impossible. 

I've been on early morning buses (before 0630) and people purposely board with £20 notes knowing the driver won't have change & expecting a free ride, then getting face on when driver says no free ride. 

I've been told that MANY Sheffield Hallam Uni IDs are fake and can be purchased online for under £7. 

Correct on all counts. The £20 note scam died a death with the introduction of change vouchers. The student pass issue is not just local, there is a college in north London where a test piece in the printing school is to forge a London bus pass and get away with it. 

3 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Correct on all counts. The £20 note scam died a death with the introduction of change vouchers. The student pass issue is not just local, there is a college in north London where a test piece in the printing school is to forge a London bus pass and get away with it. 

Who ever thought that up should be convicted of forgery - and the college administration charged with dereliction of duty, or something worse.

Bus service needs to return to the control of Sheffield City Council. 

It should not be just for profit, but also for the convenience of the users.

That might mean subsidising some of the routes to ensure coverage. 

If the council are serious about reducing car use, emissions, etc, a reliable user friendly public transport system is absolutely essential.

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

Bus service needs to return to the control of Sheffield City Council. 

It should not be just for profit, but also for the convenience of the users.

That might mean subsidising some of the routes to ensure coverage. 

If the council are serious about reducing car use, emissions, etc, a reliable user friendly public transport system is absolutely essential.

As I asked before, Anna, who is going to pay for said buses, crews, fuel, ,maintenance,  administration...?

• Like 1