Access To Lyceum By Car

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Great story. Got any other ones?

Of coarse, but not about this topic. And remember that a stupid question will get you a stupid answer. Maybe you should apply for job at council and open all sheffield streets with your line of thinking.

Edited by dutch

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

You are quick to defend the council when they are following Government orders and that's fair enough.

You ignore the other half of the argument regarding all the trees the council have cut down in clear defiance of the peoples wishes.

You also ignore the fact that this thread is complaining about the difficulty people have  dealing with the councils brainwaves.

We are perfectly right to raise concerns about this despite you using your council thinking and deciding we must report to you regarding steps we are taking.

The city centre road system is a complete mess and you lot, the planners, are the ones responsible for people driving round in circles and causing pollution.

Firstly, this thread is about "Access to the Lyceum by Car". Any issue regarding trees is therefore not relevant to the thread.

Nothing that the Council is doing in the city centre is any different to what is being done in many other places around the country.

Many of the people who complain about access arrangements in the city centre just basically want to drive right through the centre of the city because its the shortest route. I can understand that, but it isn't compatible with the city centre being a great place to live, work and do business. Most cities don't want through traffic in the centre, so they put in an inner ring road and have access loops coming off it so drivers can get to where they want to be, park and get out again to the ring road. A pretty simple concept, but it seems lost on some people on here.

It also seems lost on some people on here that there is a climate emergency and just about every government and city has signed up to swinging carbon reduction targets. A lot of the carbon emissions come from transport and the targets wont be met unless large numbers of people get out of their cars and start walking and cycling for at least some of their journeys. That is going to need road space reallocation, so what you are seeing now is just the start. Car drivers aren't going to like some of the measures. The powers that be fully understand this, but this level of change won't be achieved without turbulence. 

Interesting to observe the double standards that yourself and others are applying. You seem to think I should be answerable for every issue connected with the Council and should have an answer for all questions raised, irrespective of whether or not they were within my areas of responsibility / expertise when I was at the Council. However, when I push back on a question and ask what an individual is doing about an issue that concerns us all, that's somehow not right? The reason I asked that question was to try to establish whether that person had a genuine interest in that agenda (because if they did, you'd expect they'd be doing something about it personally), or was just using it as another stick to beat the Council with.

8 hours ago, Resident said:

Trees also help with NO but thanks for playing..

Trees help to mitigate the effects, but they don't address the  cause, which is over-reliance on motor vehicles.

Re-allocating road space is part of the efforts to redress the balance.

My thoughts on this topic:

Why should we have to compare Leeds, Nottingham etc to Sheffield. If they are bad that's their problem, it doesn't help Sheffield unless there's a rule that all cities have to be bad. 

I don't think the council wants anyone to be able to drive up to the Lyceum (and many other places) and as someone else on here said "get out of their car and start walking or cycling ". This could be rather difficult if dressed up for a theatre night out but hey ho! If Sheffield was really interested in "going green " then they would ban all polluting motor vehicles from the city centre but I guess they don't want to do that. Imagine all the retail spaces that would be empty and the market that would not be fully used, the town centre would become another space for people to live.....oh hang on just a minute!

16 minutes ago, Meltman said:

My thoughts on this topic:

Why should we have to compare Leeds, Nottingham etc to Sheffield. If they are bad that's their problem, it doesn't help Sheffield unless there's a rule that all cities have to be bad. 

I don't think the council wants anyone to be able to drive up to the Lyceum (and many other places) and as someone else on here said "get out of their car and start walking or cycling ". This could be rather difficult if dressed up for a theatre night out but hey ho! If Sheffield was really interested in "going green " then they would ban all polluting motor vehicles from the city centre but I guess they don't want to do that. Imagine all the retail spaces that would be empty and the market that would not be fully used, the town centre would become another space for people to live.....oh hang on just a minute!

The markets not fully used now and never has been 

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Trees help to mitigate the effects, but they don't address the  cause, which is over-reliance on motor vehicles.

Re-allocating road space is part of the efforts to redress the balance.

Tell me, how does a CAZ address the cause if everyone just pays the fees? Is the money generated from CAZ ring-fenced SPECIFICALLY to tackle NO2/CO2 levels?