Access To Lyceum By Car

38 minutes ago, fools said:

Every comparable city has an arena (and car park) slap bang in the middle of town, which far exceeds the capacity of our venues.

Indeed they do. Are these car parks free though? After a few years hanging around this forum this is clearly a sticking point with the majority of people, who demand free parking everywhere or else.

There's often a deal to be had with the venue, some are cheap, some not.

You used to be able to park in Sheffield for free on a night out, some other towns still allow this.

24 minutes ago, fools said:

There's often a deal to be had with the venue, some are cheap, some not.

You used to be able to park in Sheffield for free on a night out, some other towns still allow this.

You can here. Its free after half eight. Before that its a quid an hour (half four onwards) or £2 for the whole 4 hour period. How cheap do people want it?

The problem here though is that the nearest carpark to the theatres is a rip off NCP, people dont do their research and just take the point of least resistance to the nearest car park, and then moan the toss afterwards.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Shows invariably start by 8, the choice of time is a deliberate revenue raising anti-car measure.

Other more farsighted towns encourage footfall at night.

However small the amount, it's a discouragement to visit.

Edited by fools

58 minutes ago, fools said:

Shows invariably start by 8, the choice of time is a deliberate revenue raising anti-car measure.

Other more far sited towns encourage footfall at night.

However small the amount, it's a discouragement to visit.

How many theatres in the UK in town and city centres offer free parking? Serious question.

I am off to the theatre in Chesterfield tomorrow night for a show starting 7.30. Guess what? I have to pay to park the car before 8pm.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

I am off to the theatre in Chesterfield tomorrow night for a show starting 7.30. Guess what? I have to pay to park the car before 8pm.

Exactly, all a bit unwelcoming and spiteful don't you think. If your council tax is 2k plus, it's a bit petty to milk another 80pence for that half an hour (or double that for the extra 5 minutes to walk there). Then you have to pay people to enforce it and empty the machines. Change it to free after 6 or 7pm, everyone's life is a bit easier, more people will come.

------------------

Theatre's (unless they are part of a shopping centre etc) don't tend to have free parking, councils do.

Might be out of date: Rotherham, Barnsley, Buxton, Holmfirth, Dronfield, Doncaster Dome, amongst others have free night time parking (pre 8pm) next to venues.

You can park in Donnie for 4 hours in a staffed multi-storey next to Cast for a pound. Paying a nominal amount is good value if the place is staffed, not some unlit unsecured bit of waste ground.

Edited by fools

46 minutes ago, fools said:

Exactly, all a bit unwelcoming and spiteful don't you think.

it's a couple of quid.

we went to the cinema on Monday, met some friends.

we drove, and paid a couple of quid to park.

they got the tram, and paid more.

how can we justify free car-parking when public transport costs more than the "spiteful" parking charges?

(we can't)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ads36 said:

it's a couple of quid.

we went to the cinema on Monday, met some friends.

we drove, and paid a couple of quid to park.

Perhaps you should try the multitude of cinema's that have free parking next time. You could have given them a lift home with the money saved.

Edited by fools

4 hours ago, fools said:

A family of 4 going to a show don't take 4 cars, they take one and leave 3 at home, or get a taxi which is double the pollution. The increase in car ownership doesn't mean they are all on the road at the same time.

Well if you want to be pedantic then no, not literally all at the same time, but by and large the increased ownership of cars has lead to a comparable increase in miles travelled by car overall.

4 hours ago, fools said:

A parked car isn't polluting the air. If pollution was a priority, they'd sort out the traffic lights.

Christ. It was polluting the air when it was driving to the parking spot, wasn't it?

4 hours ago, fools said:

Every comparable city has an arena (and car park) slap bang in the middle of town, which far exceeds the capacity of our venues.

Now you're comparing apples & pears. I think you're referring to modern arenas which tend to have multi-storey car parks next to or even under the arena itself (NIA Birmingham for example) and usually on or near the orbital roads in the city centres meaning the impact on smaller city centre streets is minimal. They've usually been built on empty or disused brownfield land.

In fact, there's even similar examples in Sheffield itself. You can drive off the ring road and in to the Arundel Gate MSCP and go straight in to the Odeon cinema for example (or even cross the road for access to Lyceum/Crucible)!

The Lyceum is a +100 year old theatre on a pedestrianised city square. There is a drop-off point 50 yards from the door and two large MSCPs within 1-2 minutes walk. What more do people really want?

4 hours ago, fools said:

The square might look nicer (if slabs of paving are your thing), but nothing else does, everywhere the tram goes is an eyesore. The peace gardens looked far nicer in days gone by, as did fargate, west street. That urinal outside the train station  is horrendous.

It's more than paving slabs. Its a space that people meet, eat, drink on/around. Better than a load of parked cars, thanks.

Exactly, all a bit unwelcoming and spiteful don't you think.

I'm not such an entitled motorist as to think that I should be able to drive & park where I want without consequence or cost, but then I fully accept I'm in a minority.

Of course people will vote with their feet and of course there is a balance to be made, but actually Lyceum and Crucible seem to do pretty well to be honest, so those patrons must be parking somewhere (or walking, or getting the bus) I guess...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Well if you want to be pedantic then no, not literally all at the same time, but by and large the increased ownership of cars has lead to a comparable increase in miles travelled by car overall.

Christ. It was polluting the air when it was driving to the parking spot, wasn't it?

No pedantry involved, just commenting on flawed logic.

In many circumstances a direct car journey is often the least polluting and most efficient option. (when compared to double taxi journeys, or empty buses and trams)

Can't be bothered with the rest.

Edited by fools

It's incredibly naïve to think a huge increase in car ownership hasn't been followed by a huge increase in the total number of miles driven on our roads. The more cars there are, the more people have access to cars and the more they drive.

And even when they're not being driven, you have the issue of parking in residential areas. Households now owning 1-3 cars each and wondering why they can never get parked outside their house... Oh, and the cars are also getting bigger too. Models today are on average wider, longer and heavier than their counterparts from 30-40 years ago.

2 hours ago, fools said:

Can't be bothered with the rest.

Sure, sure. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

It's incredibly naïve

None of this has any bearing on my comments. You appear to be running off on your own tangent, arguing and contradicting yourself in the process. Ignoring any context. See thread title.

The general increase in car ownership has nothing to do with the subject, namely your assertions that the city centre can't cope with a few hundred cars and patrons going to the Lyceum/Crucible/City hall at the same time, it clearly can and is doing. As is Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds and every other city.

The idea that everyone is (or should be) walking into town, or riding buses is naive.

A car journey is more efficient than a taxi journey, perhaps we should ban the latter and encourage the former instead.

Edited by fools