Access To Lyceum By Car

I had to pick up an elderly lady by car from the Lyceum tonight.

As far as I could see there is now only one way in and out of Norfolk Street , via Arundel Gate, causing a significant traffic jam and the need for each car to turn around before exiting to Arundel Gate.

I used to turn left from Arundel Gate onto Norfolk Street and then exit via Surrey Street on to Pinstone Street though this option appears to have been stopped, resulting in the situation I experienced.

Or is there an alternative route I have overlooked ?

Nope. Nothing you have overlooked. That's pretty much it for that road now. One way in, everybody has to turn around and one way back out.

The council had the genius idea to "temporarily"  close all traffic on Pinstone Street for alleged covid precautions but now seem to have taken advantage and convert it into some pointless permanent dead space to appease a couple of  cyclists that use it once a week and stroke the egos of some Green Party councillors.  

Default Council bashing is not normal my bag, however on this particular decision I do have issues and I do think it is one of their most ridiculous ones.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

7 minutes ago, lazarus said:

It’s all part of the councils plan to turn Sheffield into a ghost town.

Seems to be working too but, when will they wake up. There's a bigger footfall in most small towns and large villages.

The empty city centre streets would lead  you to think that Covid has killed off 90% of the population.

13 minutes ago, lazarus said:

It’s all part of the councils plan to turn Sheffield into a ghost town.

Agreed, and it also doesn't help that you can't turn right onto Arundal Gate when you come out of Norfolk Street  so you have to go via Park Square roundabout and the railway station.

1 hour ago, cgksheff said:

Follow the money .... new Radisson Blu hotel being built on Pinstone Street. Can't have those dirty buses going past their pretty frontage!

SCC is nothing but a puppet of the largest landowner in Sheffield centre. The money will lead right back to Sheffield Uni. What the Uni wants, the uni gets. 

They're the ones that want the city to become some (warped) vision of a student uptopia so they can pull in the money from them. They've always had a view that city centre should be pedestrians only. 
Even back when I was at uni they wanted it pedestrianising from the train station to the uni. 
It's also the reason why so much of these new developments are student residences. Most student accomodation isn't owned by the uni or associates of the uni in the outerlying of the city so it's money going elsewhere that they want in the coffers. 

12 hours ago, cgksheff said:

Follow the money .... new Radisson Blu hotel being built on Pinstone Street. Can't have those dirty buses going past their pretty frontage!

And from the drawings i've seen it won't ever reopen to traffic.

3 hours ago, darylslinn said:

And from the drawings i've seen it won't ever reopen to traffic.

It was always the plan. Covid was just a convienient excuse. They've even LIED about why it was closed. 

SCC's own website stated that it was being closed temporarily to allow social distancing using emergency funding provided by central gov. Later when asked about when it would be reopening SCC then stated that it was closed pending review as it used active travel funding. 

11 hours ago, Resident said:

They've even LIED about why it was closed. 

SCC's own website stated that it was being closed temporarily to allow social distancing using emergency funding provided by central gov. Later when asked about when it would be reopening SCC then stated that it was closed pending review as it used active travel funding. 

Don't think so.

The government just changed what they called the funding they'd given out.

That's normal government tactics, they like to announce funding serval times so it looks like they are allocating lots of money, when in fact very little of it is new and most of it has been announced before.

Just now, Planner1 said:

Edited by Planner1