Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

35 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I previously said I won't be commenting on this thread but I find it difficult to ignore this post Padders.

Absolutely agree. I've seen it myself.  People buying in bulk leaving shelves practically empty. It's a rarity but it's starting to happen.

Makes me glad I started up a store room years ago. Now we just add to it every shop, a little bit here a little bit there. Now I reckon we could survive for around 4 or 5 months without leaving the house should the need arise. 

Absolute rubbish . Shelves empty. It’s people like you that start it all 

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

You think WW3 would be bad.

How bad would it be if Russia stopping supplying the West with gas and oil?

Are you kidding?

We could survive Russia withdrawing gas and oil - sure it would be very hard, but there are other sources, and we could reduce our need as has happened before. 

WW3, assuming it goes nuclear, is unservivable. Even those with underground bunkers face the rest of their miserable lives being spent underground.

Radiation fallout and the Nuclear winter will put paid to life above ground for many, many years, and not enough  people will be left to clear up the mess. There will be no rebuilding, no crops growing, nowhere will be safe from wind blown radiation and fallout. The unfortunate few to be left above ground alive will be sick, dying and starving and dead within a month.

Sorry but that's a fact. I really don't think many people have any notion of what total (and it can only be total) nuclear annihilation means. 

Edited by Anna B

17 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Are you kidding?

We could survive Russia withdrawing gas and oil - sure it would be very hard, but there are other sources, and we could reduce our need as has happened before. 

WW3, assuming it goes nuclear, is unservivable. Even those with underground bunkers face the rest of their miserable lives being spent underground.

Radiation fallout and the Nuclear winter will put paid to life above ground for many, many years, and not enough  people will be left to clear up the mess. There will be no rebuilding, no crops growing, nowhere will be safe from wind blown radiation and fallout. The unfortunate few to be left above ground alive will be sick, dying and starving and dead within a month.

Sorry but that's a fact. I really don't think many people have any notion of what total (and it can only be total) nuclear annihilation means. 

Keep smiling Anna.  Remember to blame the Tories when it all goes wrong 

Edited by hackey lad

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Keep smiling Anna.  

Yeah, happy times eh... it's horrible but people have to know what's at stake, and the stakes have never been higher.

Yet I hear people calling for war and escalation every day. 

8 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Another good example of crooked thinking.....

I will welcome your explainer about why drawing a parallel between-

Russia’s fascistic crackdown on media and freedom of expression/protest in the wake of their “special operation” going badly, and 

Nazi Germany’s well-documented renewed crackdown on media and freedom of expression/protest in the wake of their Stalingrad defeat,

is “crooked thinking”.

9 hours ago, Dromedary said:

This is a classic example of all things wrong as Putin has not used threats to use Nukes at all and yet many posters on here seem to believe he has done just that. Report what has been said and not just yours and the media's interpretation of it. Its bad enough without all this scare mongering going on.

Another good example of crooked thinking.....

Let's look at exactly what Putin has said:

"I would now like to say something very important for those who may be tempted to interfere in these developments from the outside. No matter who tries to stand in our way or all the more so create threats for our country and our people, they must know that Russia will respond immediately, and the consequences will be such as you have never seen in your entire history. No matter how the events unfold, we are ready. All the necessary decisions in this regard have been taken. I hope that my words will be heard."

Add to this the unprecedented action of raising their nuclear military units/system to their maximum level of alert.

Interpret that as you choose.

19 minutes ago, L00b said:

I will welcome your explainer about why drawing a parallel between-

Russia’s fascistic crackdown on media and freedom of expression/protest in the wake of their “special operation” going badly, and 

Nazi Germany’s well-documented renewed crackdown on media and freedom of expression/protest in the wake of their Stalingrad defeat,

is “crooked thinking”.

What NATO needs to do is what Putin is scared of them doing, I just wonder what Hitler would have done if the USA had declared war on them in 1939. Putin can’t undo what he has done, even if he wants to, Biden can’t make up his 79 years old mind what to do, even though anything would shock the heck out of everyone, World War 3 is just waiting for someone to make their mind up, perhaps doing nothing is the correct course of inaction. 

10 hours ago, L00b said:

Everything. Isolate Russia to North Korean levels /worse than. Expel all Russian diplomats and close their embassies. Stop supplying anything whatsoever to Russia. Stop buying anything whatsoever from Russia. Build that ‘Mexican wall’, but around Russia and make sure the Russians known it’s not coming down until Ukraine is freed and patched up, and their own house in a better order. And in the meantime supply Ukraine with every last bullet, helmet, aid pack, etc. that it needs to keep up the fight, and look after its refugees.

Unlike North Koreans and Iranians, the Russians have known western standards of living, culture, consumption, aspirations…take it all away from them (as we are already doing, tbh) but harder still and much faster. Then see how long a civil war takes to light up / the oligarchs and generals invite Putin for ‘special tea’.

Putin cannot possibly turn 2022 Russia into 1942 Germany within a couple of months. Something’s gotta give. The harder we push -short of a shooting war- the sooner that give.

What happens if Hitler (Putin) decides go beyond Poland (Ukraine)?

If Russia stops the supply, we’ll be cold for a month until Spring is here, and we may have to take the bus/tram/pushbike a bit more often.

Now then. What happens when Europe stops buying much of that supply?

That will now happen far, far sooner than Putin/Russia expected, and so that’s another massive miscalculation by Putin. Rest assured Europeans who got themselves suckered away from nuclear into Vlad’s LNG arms have learnt that lesson.

Yeah this. Remember when the border guards abandoned the Berlin Wall because they hadn’t been paid? Every burnt out truck, smashed up tank or downed aircraft littering Ukraine is one less for Putin to threaten the world with, let’s make sure he can’t afford to replace them. We should help rebuild Ukraine and let Russia stew in poverty for a few decades until they learn to play nicely with others.