Coronavirus - Part Two.

49 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

The advice for the second dose has always been between 3 and 12 weeks.

Previously they were aiming for around the 3, whereas now it’ll be nearer to the 12.

Either is apparently perfectly safe and effective, it’s simply to free up time to give more people the first dose.

My work colleagues that have had their first have been told not to turn up for their second appointment and they’ll all be rescheduled.

Pfizer have stated today that the second dose of their vaccine must be at around 21 days. There is no evidence the vaccine is effective if given at 12 weeks. What do the government know that they don’t?

2 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

On a lighter note, my wife is sitting approximately 10 feet away from me as I type.

We both have android 'phones, but not the same model.

We both downed the covid tracker thingy whenit first came out.

I'm in Derbyshire, and therefore tier 4. My phone confirmed this early this morning.

She's in tier 3 - even now - according to her phone.

She's refusing to make me a coffee, because I'm a "tier 4 scuzzer".

Not a good start to a new year!

😉

Sounds like the new year will be starting in tiers for you two.  Sorry to hear that - all the best!

2 hours ago, nightrider said:

Pfizer have stated today that the second dose of their vaccine must be at around 21 days. There is no evidence the vaccine is effective if given at 12 weeks. What do the government know that they don’t?

Have they actually stated that? They have said they have no evidence of efficacy with the longer interval.

7 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Have they actually stated that? They have said they have no evidence of efficacy with the longer interval.

yes I believe thats what I read - 21 days because thats what was tested and they just don't know if anything else would work. In particular they don't know if the immunity from 1 jab even lasts 12 weeks, unless the second is given after 21 days. Madness we are making such a gamble.

I'm just back from a walk with the dog, basically along the Sheffield - Chesterfield Road.

It's what now - 10pm? New Years Eve.

Either....a lot of people are heading home in their cars - from where?! - or there are a lot of people heading for NYE meets in other houses.

The traffic along here is no different to a normal night.

So much for 'stay at home'....

13 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

I'm just back from a walk with the dog, basically along the Sheffield - Chesterfield Road.

It's what now - 10pm? New Years Eve.

Either....a lot of people are heading home in their cars - from where?! - or there are a lot of people heading for NYE meets in other houses.

The traffic along here is no different to a normal night.

So much for 'stay at home'....

Must be a lot of folk needing eyetests................

Essex has one of the highest covid rates in the country yet the police have issued fines totalling &18000 to idiots attending NYE partys.

6 minutes ago, charliewag said:

Essex has one of the highest covid rates in the country yet the police have issued fines totalling &18000 to idiots attending NYE partys.

See post #3450.

Sadly, all very predictable.

BBC Look North, lunchtime today.  Party broken up in Sheffield, 70 people in a flat supposed to house 6.

Piece in the paper about the many folk trying to volunteer to help with the jabs (retired doctors and nurses and the like,) but prevented by the mountain of expensive red tape and paperwork, including 21 (ridiculous) documents they must upload to show they've been on courses like 'Equality, diversity and human rights' 'Preventing radicalisation level 1' and 'Fire safety.'

These are medics with years of experience. I thought this was an emergency and the sooner we get people vaccinated the better.

Is there anything this country can't **** up? 

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Piece in the paper about the many folk trying to volunteer to help with the jabs (retired doctors and nurses and the like,) but prevented by the mountain of expensive red tape and paperwork, including 21 (ridiculous) documents they must upload to show they've been on courses like 'Equality, diversity and human rights' 'Preventing radicalisation level 1' and 'Fire safety.'

These are medics with years of experience. I thought this was an emergency and the sooner we get people vaccinated the better.

Is there anything this country can't **** up? 

I agree that we need checks, balances and training. But we're trying to do it now. Not in August or September, now. 

Anyone fancy a side bet that the Germans will have vaccinated more than us by the end of January despite being a month behind?

29 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I agree that we need checks, balances and training. But we're trying to do it now. Not in August or September, now. 

Anyone fancy a side bet that the Germans will have vaccinated more than us by the end of January despite being a month behind?

One ex doctor quoted, 'I applied to help in the pandemic in April, but heard nothing until I was called to an uninformative zoom meeting in November, after which there was silence again.'

Another potential medical volunteer complained that after spending 2 full days on his application, 'he was loosing the will to continue...'

Another retired fully qualified professional called it 'insulting.' 

We are going to need an army of volunteers and of course some checks and balances are necessary, but does an ex GP really need to complete an online course in 'data security awareness,'  'moving and handling,' and 'conflict resolution' among several others to qualify?

Edited by Anna B

1 minute ago, West 77 said:

Germany are part of the EU27 bloc  vaccine program.  At the moment only one vaccine being  Pfizer has been approved for use in the EU.  This week the EU increased their order by 100 million doses making it a total of 300 million doses for all of the EU27 bloc. In the same week the UK regulator approved the rollout  of a second vaccine for the UK being the Oxford/AstraZenca in which the UK have ordered 100 million doses just for UK people.  The rollout of the  Oxford/AstraZenca vaccine starts on Monday.

Yes, I fancy a bet. Are you prepared to put your money where your mouth is?

I’ll join too. The EU have messed this one up a bit.