Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I can come up with a compelling reason to leave the EU, a really simple one as well. Because we had a vote, and 52% voted leave and 48% voted remain. It has a name as well, it is called Democracy, little understood by many on this forum it appears.

Angel1.

The question is why vote to leave the EU .

I know full well what the result was but this is rather different from seeking to find out why you voted leave.

In answer to Apelike,I will continue to ask of you and other leavers what benefits you see for the future of our country?

To address the title of this thread I see the main consequences as being:

Damage to our industry 

Damage to our commercial ties with our nearest and most important trading bloc.

Loss of a place at the top table in world affairs.

Damage to the NHS ,and other welfare services which are reliant on overseas workers.

A general depression on how this country is viewed by others.

No change in our ability or inability to control our own borders.

This was sufficient for me to vote Remain long before the issues surrounding Ireland became apparent.

So once again,I am not asking why you voted in the way that you did or any justification.

Just give me the positives that we can look forward to.

8 hours ago, Car Boot said:

You must really hate the minimum wage. 

I don’t hate the minimum wage.

I do hate  people who employ others on the cheap. 

Edited by Pettytom

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

I am afraid the workers deserve that they get. The North East voted for it, they can eat it. 

9 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

I am afraid the workers deserve that they get. The North East voted for it, they can eat it. 

https://www.quora.com/Why-would-Nissan-Sunderland-workers-vote-overwhelmingly-to-leave-the-EU-therefore-undermining-their-jobs-when-it-is-their-employer’s-biggest-export-market

An interesting comment on this which includes some comments which resonate with the whole issue of Brexit

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

They do all say the same within the given margin of error which is usually 1-2% for a properly conducted poll.

Every single credible post-Brexit poll not only puts immigration top of the list of reasons for voting Leave, but by quite a margin. Even allowing for the margin of error, this reason was still 15-20%  above the next most popular reason which was sovereignty.

OK, some facts about previous polls:

The 2016 Referendum 

Out of 13 top polls conducted from 16-23 June 2016, 10 got it wrong putting remain in the lead with one actually putting remain in the lead by 10%, and non came close to the actual 3.8% voter swing for leave.

The 2017 General Election

Out of the 15 top polls conducted from 1-8 June 2017, 10 were way off the mark and put the Conservatives ahead by anything from 1% to 13% and only one came near with a 2.5% lead. One even put Labour ahead by 2%. 

Now try and argue that the polls were not correct in those instances. Than now shows up very well that polls are falibile and should not be relied on even on an oblate spheroid like ours!

12 minutes ago, apelike said:

OK, some facts about previous polls:

The 2016 Referendum 

Out of 13 top polls conducted from 16-23 June 2016, 10 got it wrong putting remain in the lead with one actually putting remain in the lead by 10%, and non came close to the actual 3.8% voter swing for leave.

The 2017 General Election

Out of the 15 top polls conducted from 1-8 June 2017, 10 were way off the mark and put the Conservatives ahead by anything from 1% to 13% and only one came near with a 2.5% lead. One even put Labour ahead by 2%. 

Now try and argue that the polls were not correct in those instances. Than now shows up very well that polls are falibile and should not be relied on even on an oblate spheroid like ours!

If you need to debate the accuracy of polls to question whether immigration was or wasn’t a major and decisive factor in much of the leavers vote,then I question your judgement .

6 minutes ago, RJRB said:

If you need to debate the accuracy of polls to question whether immigration was or wasn’t a major and decisive factor in much of the leavers vote,then I question your judgement .

So where does that data come from? Point and link to an accurate source of information that's just not another poll.

Edited by apelike

if immigration isn't a big deal, that no-one cares about, then we've got no problem accepting any of the 4 freedoms.

7 minutes ago, apelike said:

So where does that data come from? Point and link to an accurate source of information that's just not another poll.

I have little interest in polls whether they support my views or not.

As I stated previously,if you do not know yourself that immigration and border control were at the forefront of the Brexit campaign,and certainly had sufficient support to tip the vote then you are totally naive or in denial.

If there are other telling reasons for you personally then you are being remarkably coy about disclosing them.

I and other Remainers have no problem with stating our reasons.

19 minutes ago, apelike said:

Why do you think Cummings said ;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_the_vote_in_favour_of_Brexit

"Would we have won without immigration? No. Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests No."

This research - could it have been asking people why they voted leave - ie a poll?

Just thought for anyone not on the email list they should register because it won't be long before our country leave the EU.

https://www.gov.uk/brexit

logo-big-flag    
Join us for a free online Brexit Business Readiness Event on 16 October from 11:30am. 

During the event, you’ll be able to find out what Brexit means for your business and the actions you need to take to prepare for Brexit. 

Watch presentations from leading experts, including government advisers, which cover topics that include: 
  • why personal data matters. 
  • planning for imports, exports and international trade after Brexit. 
  • how to prepare if your business provides services overseas. 
  • what to do if you operate in the food and drink, farming, fisheries, waste, or chemical sectors. 
You can watch the whole event from start to finish or choose the sessions most relevant to your business.   

There will be a chance to submit questions and interact with presenters on the day of the event. 

Find out more and register now.  

Ensure your business is ready for Brexit by checking out more information at gov.uk/brexit. 

ei?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwpm.ccmp.eu%2Fwpm%2F10

The Department for International Trade (DIT) will process your personal data supplied in this service in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018. The information you provide will be processed on a lawful basis to enable DIT to perform a task in the public interest or to fulfil an official function, and the task or function has a clear basis in law and/or the processing is necessary for a contract DIT have with an individual. You can find our full privacy policy here.

You can unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive our emails.