Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

52 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Read my post again.

It will be the people of the border areas who will tear the infrastructure down, not the IRA. The paramilitaries will only become involved if there is a heavy-handed response by the authorities to those demonstrating just as there was 50 years ago.

Of course, the paramilitaries are fair and just, and only become involved when the authorities are heavy handed? I don't think that the family and loved ones of Lyra McKee would agree with you. 

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

IJean-Claude Juncker (unelected President of the European Commission)

You might want to check how he is in fact elected. I await your retraction with interest....

5 minutes ago, altus said:

If those leave voters had accepted it was advisory and non-binding and just left politicians to get on with it rather than spending the last three years pushing them towards an increasingly hard brexit by complaining of a betrayal of the will of the people you might have had a point. As it is, no, leave voters have to accept their share of the blame.

Leave voters have not spent the last 3 years pushing anyone. Its the government and parliament that have messed it all up prompting leavers to complain. Its a bit chicken and egg here, what came first the referendum result with a vote to leave or the unwillingness by parliament to carry it out prompting complaints of betrayal? Parliament have the power to deal with this and sofar are shown to very lacking and inept.

Edited by apelike

11 minutes ago, apelike said:

But that is not what is proposed by having border controls in Ireland, wherever they may be put, as those border controls are not needed for people. Border controls are only needed on the importation and exportation of goods, cattle, pharma etc so they comply with EU rules. As said before some people are purposely mixing them up to try and create a problem that does not need to exist.

No as I had left working down't pit and moved back to London for work. In anycase see the bit above.

Because people dont smuggle anything at all do they?

22 minutes ago, apelike said:

Border controls are only needed on the importation and exportation of goods, cattle, pharma etc.

Exactly, and that applies equally to a container lorry, a 4WD pulling a horse box or a car with a DVD player in the boot, bought in Newry where the rate of VAT is 3% less than in Dundalk. Checking goods means stopping people going about their own business, who will rightly object.

27 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I had to travel from SY into Nottinghamshire every day. My car was stopped and searched regularly. It is not a pleasant experience.

I seem to remember the miners and their supporters who objected to this at the time, being branded terrorists.

26 minutes ago, Obelix said:

You might want to check how he is in fact elected. I await your retraction with interest....

Ah yes.

The European Union uses a system similar to the 1930's German model of 'democracy' to elect its presidents - a ballot with only one option.  A similar process is used in other countries to 'elect' their leaders - such as North Korea and China.  In a real democracy, the demos (all of the voters) can choose between different candidates to vote for or against a particular candidate.

The people of EU member states aren't permitted the democratic luxury to do that. 

Edited by Car Boot

1 minute ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I seem to remember the miners and their supporters who objected to this at the time, being branded terrorists.

I was neither a miner, nor a terrorist.

I was a young male crossing the border via a minor road. I guess you’d call that profiling these days. I wasn’t happy to have to prove that I wasn’t a rolled up picket in order to go about my business. I guess that the same thing will be playing out in Ireland soon.

30 minutes ago, altus said:

If those leave voters had accepted it was advisory and non-binding and just left politicians to get on with it rather than spending the last three years pushing them towards an increasingly hard brexit by complaining of a betrayal of the will of the people you might have had a point. As it is, no, leave voters have to accept their share of the blame.

Leave voters exercised their democratic right. 

Remain voters in the Palace of Westminster have attempted to overturn the democratic outcome ever since the vote.

The only people we can seriously blame for the current state of affairs are the Remain voters in Parliament, and the EU itself which is desperate to punish us for daring to vote Leave.

Let's just Leave and have done with it. 

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

This needed saying.

Just as many Leave voters did so because they were dissatisfied with there own lives and would rather blame anyone but themselves, they are now refusing to take responsibility for their own actions and blaming everyone but themselves for the mess we are in.

You were told that Brexit would not be possible while the North of Ireland was under UK jurisdiction yet you still voted for it. Don’t moan when this is now pointed out to you. Just as immigrants weren’t to blame for lack of jobs, housing, education and health provision in the UK, the EU isn’t responsible for this lunacy which is entirely of our own making.

Stop all the moaning and take some responsibility.

My solution to that is just cut them loose . we should not be held hostage in a corrupt European superstate run by the Germans . 

1 minute ago, Penistone999 said:

My solution to that is just cut them loose . we should not be held hostage in a corrupt European superstate run by the Germans . 

And Wales and Scotland?

56 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Because people dont smuggle anything at all do they?

As far as most people are concerned, the Single Market is not worth a single life. Let it collapse rather than build an EU wall in Ireland.

19 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Checking goods means stopping people going about their own business, ....

No it doesn't as it could be similar in principal to how Norway deals with it. Wasn't it Barnier that originally put forward the idea of having border controls but not at the border as is? His idea would also have meant free travel and no checks on people travelling from north to south at the border line. As said, people are needlessly complicating the matter by lumping together both types of checks, that of people and also for customs.