Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

30 minutes ago, apelike said:

Are you sure about that. Nationalism in Europe is on the increase and the tribal barriers are still strong.

They are, which is why a strong Europe is more important than at any time since WW2.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

The only people that state that brexiters should be afraid or are unaware of the changes are the remainers, some of which have already bolted from this country for fear they would lose out. 

I'm pretty sure I'd been intending to move to France well before the referendum was even dreamed up by Cameron to try to resolve differences in the Tory Party.

Oh, look.................................................

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/32349-are-you-happy-where-you-are/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-523354

1 hour ago, L00b said:

That seems directed at me.

Not really, it was directed at all those on here who didn't vote and yet are the ones who moan the most because others voted for what they didn't want.

11 minutes ago, apelike said:

Not really, it was directed at all those on here who didn't vote and yet are the ones who moan the most because others voted for what they didn't want.

All those on here?

It's irrelevant anyway. How or whether people voted in the 2016 referendum has no bearing on how or whether they are allowed to express their views on here. It won't affect their eligibility to vote in another referendum either.

16 minutes ago, apelike said:

I think you will find that most on this thread usually post about how dumb the idea of leaving the EU is rather than who voted what. 

The referendum result is even less relevant now than it was in 2016.

23 minutes ago, apelike said:

All the same, any advances on my questions in #1551?

1 hour ago, L00b said:

What's in Brexit, as the better-known quantity that it is now, for all these less well-off poorly educated voters?

You'll have to ask the voting corpus.

1 hour ago, L00b said:

What's in Brexit for you personally?

Not much I can think of but it has given parliament an almighty boot up the rear which I am glad of. Like many others that voted leave I would have been happy to stay in the EEC, which was about economic integration but the signing of the Maastricht treaty changed the very nature of the organisation and the people of the UK never got a say in that change. A lot of the resentment by the people in voting leave is because of that. The MP's "in-fighting" and showing how incompetent they are is now reflected in how the voters see them and trust in our politician is at an all time low. 

On another note though. It seems strange that people are always stating that as you have that the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg, Nigel Farage, Priti Patel, the ERG contingent, Crispin Odey, ... are the ones to stand to benefit financially and yet some of the biggest backers of remain and leave were also multi millionaires and some those that are wanting brexit stopped are also multi millionaires. Are they doing it for the good of the people or because of financial gain?

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

Give us some examples of how our society  might improve as a result of Brexit.

I've got one : much less money for deprived regions (infrastructure, business parks, grants, etc.)

And : we can leave tax loopholes wide open, for the benefit of millionaires.

etc.

2 minutes ago, ads36 said:

I've got one : much less money for deprived regions (infrastructure, business parks, grants, etc.)

etc.

Well, at least I got a reason from you. That all seems very uplifting.

I wasn’t really expecting one from the person that I asked. He doesn’t seem to do detail.

1 minute ago, ads36 said:

etc.

For the majority - Reduce health & safety standards at work, reduce terms and conditions.

For the hedge funds - Reduce top rates of tax.

25 minutes ago, apelike said:

You'll have to ask the voting corpus.

Nice try, but no cigar here:  I've posited that they should fear the consequences of their vote, you've argued that they voted Leave to change without any fear, and when I asked you why they shouldn't fear those consequences, ie what changes they were hoping for, it's up to me to ask them? 

Not much I can think of but it has given parliament an almighty boot up the rear which I am glad of. Like many others that voted leave I would have been happy to stay in the EEC, which was about economic integration but the signing of the Maastricht treaty changed the very nature of the organisation and the people of the UK never got a say in that change. A lot of the resentment by the people in voting leave is because of that. The MP's "in-fighting" and showing how incompetent they are is now reflected in how the voters see them and trust in our politician is at an all time low. 

So basically, you've voted for, and now still argue in support of, worsening the socio-economic standing of the UK for years to come, including your own, for the sake of sticking two fingers to "the man".

Makes sense 😏

On another note though. It seems strange that people are always stating that as you have that the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg, Nigel Farage, Priti Patel, the ERG contingent, Crispin Odey, ... are the ones to stand to benefit financially and yet some of the biggest backers of remain and leave were also multi millionaires and some those that are wanting brexit stopped are also multi millionaires. Are they doing it for the good of the people or because of financial gain?

Nothing strange about it: the Brexit-backers are as much opportunists as the Remain backers. It's just that their enrichment strategies are diametrically opposed: Brexit backers profit from destruction (chaos, disruption and assorted other disturbance effects, commonly referred to as "shock doctrine", caused by upending stable markets). Remain backers profit from building those stable markets.

I know which type of economy I prefer to scratch a living in. I don't think those who can't see the disaster capitalist forest for the populist tree, do. Those would be the proverbial Xmas-voting turkeys and, they assure us (still!), that they knew what they were voting for (certainly seems the gist of your posts). So, well...😆

Edited by L00b

4 hours ago, L00b said:

Nice try, but no cigar here:  I've posited that they should fear the consequences of their vote, you've argued that they voted Leave to change without any fear, and when I asked you why they shouldn't fear those consequences, ie what changes they were hoping for, it's up to me to ask them?

I  actually said "They knew it would change so it make no sense to be afraid of it."  And just like I asked you about what percentage of those that voted leave had a plan to make a profit from it, I give you the same answer as you gave.. "You'll have to ask the voting corpus."

4 hours ago, L00b said:

So basically, you've voted for, and now still argue in support of, worsening the socio-economic standing of the UK for years to come, including your own, for the sake of sticking two fingers to "the man".

That was part of it yes, sometimes the only way to force change when you have a political system such as ours is to go against it and time will tell if it make us worse off in the long term. I still believe in the British economist E. F. Schumacher who coined the phrase "Small is Beautiful" and just like other countries we can be out of the EU and still prosper.