LGBT issues and morality

5 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

If the consequences of speech is to find yourself on the wrong side of the law then "freedom of speech" is illusory.

Is that why you make a new account every month?

1 minute ago, the_bloke said:

Is that why you make a new account every month?

Who was I last month then?

Guest makapaka
26 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

If the consequences of speech is to find yourself on the wrong side of the law then "freedom of speech" is illusory.

He isn't being prosecuted.

Just now, makapaka said:

He isn't being prosecuted.

I was just making a general point about the concept of free speech.

5 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

I thought you were a big believer of free speech ? 

I am. People are free to express stupid, bigoted views - and I'm free to tell them their views are bigoted and stupid.

It's not a complicated concept.

36 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

Who was I last month then?

Do you not know?

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

I am. People are free to express stupid, bigoted views - and I'm free to tell them their views are bigoted and stupid.

It's not a complicated concept.

I have no time for religion , any of them , but the views he holds are not illegal . 

6 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

I have no time for religion , any of them , but the views he holds are not illegal . 

Exactly.  Defending someone's right to freedom of expression does not mean you agree with them.

3 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Exactly.  Defending someone's right to freedom of expression does not mean you agree with them.

Probably does in Penistone999's case though. He's got no time for folks that aren't heterosexual.

8 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Defending someone's right to freedom of expression does not mean you agree with them.

A few years back, one of the lassies who lost her legs in the Alton Towers accident was subjected to some vile stuff on social media by people who thought that it was funny to pick on her disability.

Do you defend their right to do that.

In New York state there is now a serious health emergency due to a measles outbreak caused by people deliberately spreading misinformation about the measles vaccine.

Katie Price's son Harvey was subjected to months of appalling abuse on social media by trolls.

Do you defend their right to do that?

Disabled campaigner Samantha Renke was subjected to abuse on Twitter after doing a diasbility rights advert including comments like 'Real humans walk on two legs'

I'll be happy to answer you, Top Cats Hat:

38 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

A few years back, one of the lassies who lost her legs in the Alton Towers accident was subjected to some vile stuff on social media by people who thought that it was funny to pick on her disability.

Yes. Bad taste joke, but I'd defend their right.

39 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

In New York state there is now a serious health emergency due to a measles outbreak caused by people deliberately spreading misinformation about the measles vaccine.

Yes, if the misinformation doesn't come from medical professional/organisation. The biggest problem in this case are people believing the misinformation, I'd personally propose other mechanisms to fight this than taking someone's right to spread (even false) opinions.

42 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Katie Price's son Harvey was subjected to months of appalling abuse on social media by trolls.

Yes, if there's no crime committed (e.g. threats, stalking, harassing, ...)

44 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Disabled campaigner Samantha Renke was subjected to abuse on Twitter after doing a diasbility rights advert including comments like 'Real humans walk on two legs'

Again, yes, if there's no crime committed.

17 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

And he's not broken any laws, he's not being prosecuted, he's not going to jail.