The way things used to be .

1 hour ago, Dreb48 said:

Im  sure it all changed with the introduction of First and Second Class Post .

When I was a SubPostmaster it was always cheaper to send a greetings card abroad if it was unsealed 

Yes, that was the case when there was still a postcard / printed paper / unsealed greetings card rate for overseas mail. I don't know when this changed but for inland mail the postcard etc. rate disappeared with the introduction of First and Second Class post in September 1968. Between 1965 and 1968  the inland letter rate was 4d and the postcard etc. rate 3d. The new rates were First Class 5d and Second Class 4d.

2 hours ago, francypants said:

I can remember when Royal Mail / Post Office used to charge more to post a sealed letter.  If the letter was posted unsealed it was cheaper to post.

Thought they used carrier pigeons in Birdwell........

In Beighton in the 60's the Cows walked through the Village to be milked, we had harvest festival, Easter parades and Whitsuntide when we all had new clothes and we got an easter egg at School at easter.

We had our inoculations at school and also the sugar lump for Polio.

We walked miles in the fields  mushroom picking, we went potato picking every year the whole Village was involved.

We played football and cricket in the Street until the lights came on.

The field are now housing estates and shopping centres the Cows are long gone, the Mushrooms are in boxes at Aldi where they once grew..

The footballs and cricket bats are now called I pads.

The street lights don't come on as long to save money.

The good old days eh?.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I listen to all the old radio shows on BBC 4extra ,  The Clithero kid , Jimmy Edwards , and so on . It was an innocent time when the law could be crossed by just accidently picking an apple of a neighbours tree .

“Accidentally “ .  Wish  I had used that excuse 😀 .

2 hours ago, Padders said:

Thought they used carrier pigeons in Birdwell........

Wish they did in Sheffield, even arthritic ones (or maybe Tree Penguins). I posted First Class letter on Thurs afternoon Jun1, it arrived in Worksop Wed June 7!

On 21/06/2023 at 18:40, Dreb48 said:

Well I thought I’d give that video a view .

Quite depressing sadly .

It’s exactly the sort of thing the BBC turns out to rubbish our fond personal memories of those times by replacing them with those of people that maybe didn’t .

Warm nostalgia for the old days has always to be tempered by the views of hindsight historians 

You seem to miss the point somewhat. The key is " Radio memories".  Just because it may have been produced by the BBC or whoever. I found it fascinating and amusing, I can recall many of the same things around Sunday lunch happening in our house.

I don't think it had to be taken apart as a radical sociological  thesis!

On 21/06/2023 at 08:48, cuttsie said:

I listen to all the old radio shows on BBC 4extra ,  The Clithero kid , Jimmy Edwards , and so on . It was a innocent time when the law could be crossed by just accidently picking a apple of a neighbours tree .

Radio ,  "wireless" in our house, was never off during the 4o's and 50'.  Some marvellous shows, but reception was a whistley, crackly job in those days. ( don't know how you'd describe that horrible noise ).

Kept us entertained anyway and I still love to listen to all the old songs. I was even allowed to get up at 2 or 3 am occasionally, to listen to boxing with Dad.  We would have loved DAB radio if we had it then.

Edited by Organgrinder