Drunk Tanks. Pressure Release for A & Es?

I think it is a good idea.

It shows that previous promises by David Cameron have NOT been implemented. We need minimum pricing and our current laws enforcing or new laws that are easier to implement.

Drunks needing attention should receive a fixed penalty notice.

Perhaps it should be the police that foot the bill for these drunk tanks, as the people are drunk - NOT ILL.

The problem is, some people can come appear drunk when they have something else seriously wrong instead. It's not always easy to spot at first, not even from a medical professional.

That’s a concern, and there would certainly be errors made. But no system is perfect and you have to balance that against the number of genuinely sick people who have treatment delayed because services are overloaded with people who are just drunk.

The idea of three strikes and you start paying for your stay in the drunk tank is a great one. Maybe even accompany that with a caution so the behaviour is recorded. Maybe even start recording the places where people had been drinking. It’s strategies designed to modify behaviour that will work - sometimes people and businesses have to be forced to take responsibility for their behaviour.

The problem is, some people can come appear drunk when they have something else seriously wrong instead. It's not always easy to spot at first, not even from a medical professional.

Breathalyze them, give them a £50 fixed penalty notice, if they can prove otherwise, they can refuse to pay and have their day in court.

A drugs test could also be done via a skin wipe/saliva sample.

I doubt these tanks will be around when it's 'not' the seasonal period. Besides, don't people get done for being drunk in public? If these tanks are just to nurse the silver fed twits who can't handle there drink, then it's a poopy idea. I also think putting a load of drunk people in a tank woul be quite smelly

Yes, That's true, which is why I would suggest anyone in that position gets a bracelet or 'dog tags' to wear that states their condition. (I have someone in my family with this problem.)

---------- Post added 30-12-2017 at 13:04 ----------

I also think that anyone using the services of the Drunk Tanks should be billed for them.

I was surprised to receive a charge for an ambulance that was called when I was involved in a traffic accident some years ago. If that can be charged for, so should this be.

Edited by Anna B

Looks like the drunk tank idea is to be rolled out across the country in 2018 to alleviate pressure on local A&Es, freeing doctors & nurses to look after genuine emergency cases in A&E, as well as beds & other resources & reduce NHS costs.

Great idea but isn't it time grown adults took responsibility for their own actions?

Absolutely agree.

The drunk tanks idea is a good one; but you just know that the first time some legless berk comes to grief in a drunk tank some ambulance chasing lawyer will be quoting a "duty of care" argument and be after compensation. If that scenario can be avoided, totally good idea.

Yes, That's true, which is why I would suggest anyone in that position gets a bracelet or 'dog tags' to wear that states their condition. (I have someone in my family with this problem.)

---------- Post added 30-12-2017 at 13:04 ----------

I also think that anyone using the services of the Drunk Tanks should be billed for them.

I was surprised to receive a charge for an ambulance that was called when I was involved in a traffic accident some years ago. If that can be charged for, so should this be.

Thin end of the wedge charging people for doing something stupid that costs the NHS.

Thin end of the wedge charging people for doing something stupid that costs the NHS.

A fixed penalty notice of £50* for smoking in a smoke free designated vehicle or area or a court fine not exceeding £200

If you smoke in the wrong place you get the above, cause work for the Police and NHS because you drink too much and you suffer no consequences?