Gender Fluid etc, Opinions?

I can see problems at the Olympics.

How so? Are you confusing sex and gender as well?

If Retep is, then so are MTV, hence the new categories of awards. Gone are the best male and best female artist. I believe Retep is referring to the fact that we may then theoretically have to remove male and female categories for sporting events. I could be wrong, but that's my interpretation of their comment.

If Retep is, then so are MTV, hence the new categories of awards. Gone are the best male and best female artist. I believe Retep is referring to the fact that we may then theoretically have to remove male and female categories for sporting events. I could be wrong, but that's my interpretation of their comment.

But he's wrong. In sport that is split male and female, that is based on biological sex not on your gender. You can choose your gender by simply saying 'today I am female', but the Olympics committee isn't going to say 'oh come join the women's race then!' That isn't how it works. The case of Caster Semanya shows how the IOC determine your SEX by quite invasive physical examinations, by checking hormone levels, by looking at your DNA and so on. Why are people getting the idea that your gender and sex are the same thing?!?! ARGH! It's like banging my head against a brick wall. A transsexual can compete as their new SEX if they conform to the rules around hormone production and so on, as transsexuals will nearly always have hormone therapy which will change their bodies and make it acceptable in some cases for them to compete as the opposite sex to which they were born.

There's no reason to think that sex categorisation should be removed. (Edit this was a reply to Andy, SgtKate got in there faster than me).

Male and female sex affects body composition, strength, flexibility and so on quite significantly. Identifying by gender as a female doesn't mean you don't have the muscle of a male by sex due to having the sex organs and testosterone.

There was a case recently involving amateur wrestling.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/26/transgender-boy-wins-texas-girls-wrestling-championship/

The headline might make it look like the boy in question was taking advantage, but in reality he (he's part way through a female to male transition and is taking hormones prior to surgery) requested to compete in the male competition but was refused by the governing body who refused to recognise him as male. So to prove the point he competed with the girls.

So, in his case, he's part way through a change of sex to male and has always identified by gender as male. Had the governing body accepted what he wanted, he wouldn't have won, but he would have been fighting other males by sex (gender is irrelevant to wrestling, sex isn't).

But he's wrong. In sport that is split male and female, that is based on biological sex not on your gender. You can choose your gender by simply saying 'today I am female', but the Olympics committee isn't going to say 'oh come join the women's race then!' That isn't how it works. The case of Caster Semanya shows how the IOC determine your SEX by quite invasive physical examinations, by checking hormone levels, by looking at your DNA and so on. Why are people getting the idea that your gender and sex are the same thing?!?! ARGH! It's like banging my head against a brick wall. A transsexual can compete as their new SEX if they conform to the rules around hormone production and so on, as transsexuals will nearly always have hormone therapy which will change their bodies and make it acceptable in some cases for them to compete as the opposite sex to which they were born.

There's no reason to think that sex categorisation should be removed. (Edit this was a reply to Andy, SgtKate got in there faster than me).

Male and female sex affects body composition, strength, flexibility and so on quite significantly. Identifying by gender as a female doesn't mean you don't have the muscle of a male by sex due to having the sex organs and testosterone.

There was a case recently involving amateur wrestling.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/26/transgender-boy-wins-texas-girls-wrestling-championship/

The headline might make it look like the boy in question was taking advantage, but in reality he (he's part way through a female to male transition and is taking hormones prior to surgery) requested to compete in the male competition but was refused by the governing body who refused to recognise him as male. So to prove the point he competed with the girls.

So, in his case, he's part way through a change of sex to male and has always identified by gender as male. Had the governing body accepted what he wanted, he wouldn't have won, but he would have been fighting other males by sex (gender is irrelevant to wrestling, sex isn't).

I personally care not one jot. I was saying I can see the reasoning of the person who commented before me. Whether they're right or wrong isn't relevant, but I can see what they were arguing (I think!).

With the initial small numbers involved, it could be quite easy for someone in these new assignments to win an award.

I already answered that. Please stop confusing sex and gender. They are not the same thing.

It was, in the eyes of 99.9% of the population up till about the last couple of years. Thats a lot of people whose view on the subject you have to change. Kids and young people are in the main on board but an awful lot of older people are going to see the whole thing as a bit weird and some are not going to be comfortable with the opposite gender wandering in to their choice of public convenience.

A young woman by accident wandered into the gents at toddington services whilst I was there the other month - I followed her in - its 2017 and I'm all inclusive and that - the faces of blokes in there, of all ages and races - was like a herd of startled deer. I don't care what people do if it doesn't effect me but it's a "sudden" change on our, as cyclone rightly points out, our prudish culture and not everyone is going to get on board straight away.

Maybe! I guess my thinking is that I'd want everyone to be able to live their lives how they want as long as it doesn't negatively impact on others. If it does negatively impact others then we need to start looking at ways to minimise or remove the impact if possible. I don't have an issue with allowing people to choose their own gender, but others here have pointed out certain potential issues that would negatively impact on others (not because they don't like it, but real issues like you pointed out about hospitals), therefore to align my wish for people to do want they feel is right for them but without screwing over other people we perhaps need some more clearly defined rules?

It's tricky isn't it? I suppose like with anything, a cost/benefit analysis needs to be done, and I don't just mean cost in terms of finance (practicality, inconvenience etc).

Had a chuckle today at the news programme discussing this gender fluid bull crap. It showed various parents all holding a toy car and a doll and they were asking their children which one appeals to them; it was an experiment to see if kids naturally do follow gender stereo types. One of these parents was a Muslim woman in a Hijab. :hihi:

All this gender fluid stuff is just modern day rubbish. Anyone who thinks that one day they can be male then the next female is mentally ill. Probably not a popular opinion in today's pc society but that's what i think.

Fortunately clinical psychologists and those with the relevant training and knowledge to make such assessments (ie not you in your ignorance) disagree with your assessment.

Fortunately clinical psychologists and those with the relevant training and knowledge to make such assessments (ie not you in your ignorance) disagree with your assessment.

Then they need striking off. Anyone who believes you can choose your gender is kidding themselves.

What gender are they?