Gender Fluid etc, Opinions?

I don't really care to be honest. What other people do doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't harm anyone.

However I don't get it. Surely you are either male or female, it's science no? Unless you are a hermaphrodite?

Anyway, don't get it but don't care.

There are conditions that mean people are of indeterminate sex, biologically and/or physically. Rare, but it happens that some people are a bit of both.

I think it's useful to separate sex from gender, although I believe that traditionally and technically they mean the same thing.

I like what you're saying here. Gender wise, we're all on a spectrum, so I guess if we use your definition, that makes almost everyone transgender. Maybe that's how it should be.

I've always felt I've got a fairly "male" personality in many ways (I'm a woman). I don't think that's unusual. Plenty of men aren't hyper masculine either.

However, I'm not sure why it's so important to reject the sex you are if you don't fit perfectly with the accepted "norms" of the gender stereotypes associated with that sex. Surely it's just taking yourself out of one box and putting yourself in another?

So yeah, maybe the answer is to move away from the notion of gender altogether?

---------- Post added 15-08-2017 at 19:38 ----------

I think under some circumstances separate spaces are less problematic. Unisex loos work in some places, but in others need a lot more planning (in schools for example). Mixed wards in hospitals have proved to pose serious risks to patient safetly and there's evidence to show a detrimental effect on patient wellbeing.

Having no sex segregation at all may end up causing more problems than it solves.

Fair enough and a valid point. Perhaps we can create rules around sex and gender specifically. Could be as simple as:

- There are SEX segregated areas that have been deemed required for provable reasons (like your point about mixed sex wards for example). You may ONLY use the facilities for your sex. This would allow people who are pre or post-op transsexual to use the facilities of their chosen sex.

- There are GENDER segregated areas where people use the facilities as their chosen gender without needing to biologically conform to the same sex type.

I'm not saying everything should be a free for all, but I do get a bit upset when people are trying to make out that all gender fluid people are doing it because they have a mental illness or that they are trying to exploit something.

Do you have a urinal in your house?

Its a great idea, a friend came in whilst he was waiting for a taxi, wee everywhere ;)

Like I said they're free to crack on, but why should the rest of society be forced to accept their behaviour?

By "accept" you mean not do anything to stop them. Because that's called basic tolerance of people who are different to you.

If you do something to not accept them, then you're the problem, not them.

Is it now acceptable that a man can wonder into the womans toilets because he's decided he's going to be a woman today?

Would it be acceptable for male security men to pat down females if they told them they were actually a woman today?

This is a typical scaremongering comment.

This might shock you then. I'm married, still use the title Miss and my maiden name. I think the world will end.

A lot of gender stuff is social.

The 'Heir Hunters' program has real difficulty with people like you ;)

Perhaps this social reason is a good reason?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007nms5

I think alot of men would object, especially in busy area's because a Urinal is quick and easy to use and they might not want to wait in a long queue to get a cubicle.

Conversely i can see many woman not wanting to share their toilets with "Dirty men". I can tell you, some of the horror's I've seen in public toilets would make your eyes fall out!!

( I have used unisex toilets before, they weren't an issue, did confuse most people - but it was in a bar/club, people were drinking and I wasn't looking at the general cleanliness of them)

They manage this on the continent by not being quite such big prudes as we are.

It's a bit weird having women walk past to a stall whilst you're tinkling in the urinal, but it seems to work.

Fair enough and a valid point. Perhaps we can create rules around sex and gender specifically. Could be as simple as:

- There are SEX segregated areas that have been deemed required for provable reasons (like your point about mixed sex wards for example). You may ONLY use the facilities for your sex. This would allow people who are pre or post-op transsexual to use the facilities of their chosen sex.

- There are GENDER segregated areas where people use the facilities as their chosen gender without needing to biologically conform to the same sex type.

I'm not saying everything should be a free for all, but I do get a bit upset when people are trying to make out that all gender fluid people are doing it because they have a mental illness or that they are trying to exploit something.

That does make sense, but I wonder if we'd then be going to great lengths to solve a problem that doesn't really need fixing?

That does make sense, but I wonder if we'd then be going to great lengths to solve a problem that doesn't really need fixing?

Maybe! I guess my thinking is that I'd want everyone to be able to live their lives how they want as long as it doesn't negatively impact on others. If it does negatively impact others then we need to start looking at ways to minimise or remove the impact if possible. I don't have an issue with allowing people to choose their own gender, but others here have pointed out certain potential issues that would negatively impact on others (not because they don't like it, but real issues like you pointed out about hospitals), therefore to align my wish for people to do want they feel is right for them but without screwing over other people we perhaps need some more clearly defined rules?

perhaps need some more clearly defined rules?

How do you create a set of clearly defined rules for something that is by it's very definition a fluid state of mind?

This is a typical scaremongering comment.

Bullcrap.

It's a valid and legal point of contention, some areas require gender segregation and this would be very hard to change.

You can get away with it in some areas like public toilets, but others are much harder.

For example you cannot have males performing detailed physical searches on females, just because the male officer came into work and declared they are a woman today.

Just watched This Morning on the telly. Gender Fluid was discussed with two guests. Man one day, female the next, just swap around at will. I don't particularly care what the two adults do, live and let live. What really worries me is the child they have, I foresee a torrid time at school for him as they are allowing him at home to be gender fluid.

How would it work at school, one day a girl, next day a boy. Which toilet would be used. I can see the answer I think, Boy, Girl and Fluid. It's quite complicated.

Angel1.

I can see problems at the Olympics.

How do you create a set of clearly defined rules for something that is by it's very definition a fluid state of mind?

Bullcrap.

It's a valid and legal point of contention, some areas require gender segregation and this would be very hard to change.

You can get away with it in some areas like public toilets, but others are much harder.

For example you cannot have males performing detailed physical searches on females, just because the male officer came into work and declared they are a woman today.

No, you're confusing sex and gender I think. You can have physical searches performed by whichever sex and gender is appropriate as determined by the person being searched.

That specific example is spurious, you could just as easily be arguing against homosexuality, you can't let gay men search men, or gay women search women, they might get a thrill out of it.

---------- Post added 16-08-2017 at 10:45 ----------

I can see problems at the Olympics.

How so? Are you confusing sex and gender as well?

I already answered that. Please stop confusing sex and gender. They are not the same thing.