Gender Fluid etc, Opinions?

There realistically should only be one answer I think. That is simply, let someone be, who they wish.

The real issue lies with the people who simply can't make their mind up. Which is entirely fine, however, if you, y'know look female but simply just today reckon your male, don't be upset/make a youtube video condemning all people to hell for someone mistaking you as female. Although I know it is only the crack-pots that shout the loudest there are a lot of entertaining videos of people online who get made because people 'assume my gender'

Simply put - if you're a male and don't go out of your way to look feminine, don't be surprised if someone assumes you're male.

Though in all fairness its rare you meet these social justice warriors from day to day.

An afterthought however. Can I argue I can go to womens only gyms and swim classes etc because I identify as a female? Furthermore are there any limits. Can I sexually identify as a Twix for example?

There realistically should only be one answer I think. That is simply, let someone be, who they wish.

The real issue lies with the people who simply can't make their mind up. Which is entirely fine, however, if you, y'know look female but simply just today reckon your male, don't be upset/make a youtube video condemning all people to hell for someone mistaking you as female. Although I know it is only the crack-pots that shout the loudest there are a lot of entertaining videos of people online who get made because people 'assume my gender'

Simply put - if you're a male and don't go out of your way to look feminine, don't be surprised if someone assumes you're male.

Though in all fairness its rare you meet these social justice warriors from day to day.

An afterthought however. Can I argue I can go to womens only gyms and swim classes etc because I identify as a female? Furthermore are there any limits. Can I sexually identify as a Twix for example?

People can identify as whatever they want but it doesn't mean that the rest of us have to indulge them and recognise it.

If the woman next door to me suddenly declared "I'm a man today", I'd be like, yeah, whatever you say! (:loopy:)

People can identify as whatever they want but it doesn't mean that the rest of us have to indulge them and recognise it.

If the woman next door to me suddenly declared "I'm a man today", I'd be like, yeah, whatever you say! (:loopy:)

If you were to declare that today you lack consideration and empathy we'd all be like, yeah, we know.

---------- Post added 16-08-2017 at 22:45 ----------

You really dont like it when someone disagrees with you do you.

Face it, Two genders. That's it. You may not like that fact but the vast vast VAST majority of people are ok with it.

I just don't like it when someone on the internet is wrong.

In this case it's you.

But it happens a lot, don't worry, you're not alone.

---------- Post added 16-08-2017 at 22:47 ----------

Why would people that are inclined to be non-conformist like that take part in the institution of marriage in the first place?

Being so non-conformist as to not have the wife take the husbands name? That's actually really common, particularly amongst women who happen to have a career where their name is already known.

Marriage on the other hand isn't about changing your name, it's about the marriage being a declaration to your friends and family that you've decided you're sticking with each other, through sickness and in health, etc... (unless you write your own vows).

For a large number of people it's nothing to do with religion the church or god, and is simply that declaration.

I just don't like it when someone on the internet is wrong.

In this case it's you.

But it happens a lot, don't worry, you're not alone.

Wrong in yours and a tiny minority of peoples opinion. Not wrong in the vast majority of peoples. :)

Why would people that are inclined to be non-conformist like that take part in the institution of marriage in the first place?

Because why shouldn't I? If you can give me a good reason I would love to hear it. I am being serious not sarcastic I would really like to know.

Changing your name has nothing to do with being married. Bit like the dress has nothing to do with it or rings. Another shocker here me and the husband don't wear our wedding rings apart from me occasionally on nights out.

People spend a small fortune on a wedding only to get divorced less than 2 years later.

Me and my husband didn't spend a fortune and we have been married since 2010. I married him because I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. Not for the wedding or dress (sorry another shocker here I got married in dark purple not white or ivory). Not for rhe flowers. Not for anyone else.

I know that I'm married, it doesn't matter that I don't wear the ring I still remember I took those vows.

I wonder if you have considered that what you call non-conformist is someone else's normal? I didn't didn't want to look like a princess on my big day because that wasn't me. I like metal/rock music, I enjoy reading about history and science. I have an interest in IT. Things which predominantly get associated with men.

I would have felt a right tit walking down the aisle in a big puffy white thing. Especially to Black Sabbath.

My normal might be your non-conformist. Have you considered that I might think your views are non-conformist? Most people consider themselves as normal and people with alternative views to themselves as being different.

Changing your name has nothing to do with being married. Bit like the dress has nothing to do with it or rings. Another shocker here me and the husband don't wear our wedding rings apart from me occasionally on nights out.

Changing tour name worked very well for decades, if those reasons for changing your name, so be it. People have campaigned to be able to get married, yet they dont want to follow the traditions surrounding marriage.

Maybe that is not helping in its decline?

Because why shouldn't I? If you can give me a good reason I would love to hear it. I am being serious not sarcastic I would really like to know.

People spend a small fortune on a wedding only to get divorced less than 2 years later.

Me and my husband didn't spend a fortune and we have been married since 2010. I married him because I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. Not for the wedding or dress (sorry another shocker here I got married in dark purple not white or ivory). Not for rhe flowers. Not for anyone else.

I know that I'm married, it doesn't matter that I don't wear the ring I still remember I took those vows.

I wonder if you have considered that what you call non-conformist is someone else's normal? I didn't didn't want to look like a princess on my big day because that wasn't me. I like metal/rock music, I enjoy reading about history and science. I have an interest in IT. Things which predominantly get associated with men.

I would have felt a right tit walking down the aisle in a big puffy white thing. Especially to Black Sabbath.

My normal might be your non-conformist. Have you considered that I might think your views are non-conformist? Most people consider themselves as normal and people with alternative views to themselves as being different.

Yay! :love:

Wrong in yours and a tiny minority of peoples opinion. Not wrong in the vast majority of peoples. :)

Wrong in the opinion of most people who've considered the issue, and the opinion of the medical community.

Self declaring yourself to be sharing the most popular opinion doesn't make it true.

---------- Post added 17-08-2017 at 08:33 ----------

Changing tour name worked very well for decades, if those reasons for changing your name, so be it. People have campaigned to be able to get married, yet they dont want to follow the traditions surrounding marriage.

Maybe that is not helping in its decline?

Is there anything actually resembling logic behind this? It sounds entirely backwards to me.

Also you're wrong that it was ever compulsory for women to change their name, it was more common, but professional women with established careers often kept their own names.

Is there anything actually resembling logic behind this? It sounds entirely backwards to me.

Also you're wrong that it was ever compulsory for women to change their name, it was more common, but professional women with established careers often kept their own names.

Everything is done for a reason.

Yes and for a lot of people marriage is simply a paper exercise for legal reasons to make things simpler, as well as a public acknowledgement of their relationship. There isn't a different institution for straight couples to use if they want the additional protections marriage gives but without the historical backwardness of marriage itself. Gay people actually have the advantage of a civil partnership in that sense and hence why I actually totally agree with Hots On's post about how marriage should be resigned to the dustbin for anyone but those following a religion and civil partnerships should be the way forward for all.

Wrong in the opinion of most people who've considered the issue, and the opinion of the medical community.

Self declaring yourself to be sharing the most popular opinion doesn't make it true.

But that's what you're doing. You're saying that most people consider it to be acceptable, with no evidence to back it up, so you're self-proclaiming you're right.

I personally don't give a hoot if a person identifies as a lettuce - it doesn't affect me in any way at all, so I don't care. That said, I actually suspect that Dimple is right, particularly in a city like Sheffield. I suspect the majority here wouldn't be so accepting. This forum, left-wing leaning as it is, I suspect would be, but I have a feeling that Sheffield as a whole would be less accepting, particularly if they thought that view wasn't to be made public. I suspect many people say they're fine with things because they want to be seen as modern and tolerant, even though they're not.

I question 'opinion polls' on such an issue, as I consider people likely to lie to say what they think is right, but that said, I've never seen a poll on such an issue, so I don't know whether you or Dimple are right, even though you both claim to be.

EDIT - Well that was easier than I thought. Dimple is right, you're wrong.

http://survation.com/uk-attitudes-to-gender-in-2016-survation-for-fawcett-society/

Gender identity

Opinion on gender identity in Britain is split. More than half (56%) think there are two genders – male and female – and less than half (44%) think gender can be a range of identities. Women take a more fluid view than men – 48% of women think gender can be a range of identities compared to 39% of men. Older people hold more prescriptive views on gender – 65% of over 65s think gender is binary compared to 44% of 18-24 year olds, with both views significantly differing from the 56% national average.

Indeed, and historically the reason for women changing their name was to basically indicate that they were now the property of their husband, having ownership passed from their father.

Everything changes.

---------- Post added 17-08-2017 at 10:47 ----------

But that's what you're doing. You're saying that most people consider it to be acceptable, with no evidence to back it up, so you're self-proclaiming you're right.

Well, apart from the medical profession of course, who don't assess these people as mentally ill or abnormal. Reference to authority I know, but I think it's a very pertinent one, since the opposite point of view is that this body of authority is in fact wrong, which is exactly what Dimple is claiming.

An extraordinary claim that requires extraordinary proof I'd suggest.

I'm simply agreeing with the medical and scientific consensus, and claiming that most people do agree with it, an ordinary claim, rather than extraordinary.

I personally don't give a hoot if a person identifies as a lettuce - it doesn't affect me in any way at all, so I don't care. That said, I actually suspect that Dimple is right, particularly in a city like Sheffield. I suspect the majority here wouldn't be so accepting. This forum, left-wing leaning as it is, I suspect would be, but I have a feeling that Sheffield as a whole would be less accepting, particularly if they thought that view wasn't to be made public. I suspect many people say they're fine with things because they want to be seen as modern and tolerant, even though they're not.

Left leaning. Ironic. The forum is filled with right wing shills and trolls and over representative of the elderly, who tend to be conservative on issues like this and in general.

I question 'opinion polls' on such an issue, as I consider people likely to lie to say what they think is right, but that said, I've never seen a poll on such an issue, so I don't know whether you or Dimple are right, even though you both claim to be.

EDIT - Well that was easier than I thought. Dimple is right, you're wrong.

http://survation.com/uk-attitudes-to-gender-in-2016-survation-for-fawcett-society/

Gender identity

Opinion on gender identity in Britain is split. More than half (56%) think there are two genders – male and female – and less than half (44%) think gender can be a range of identities. Women take a more fluid view than men – 48% of women think gender can be a range of identities compared to 39% of men. Older people hold more prescriptive views on gender – 65% of over 65s think gender is binary compared to 44% of 18-24 year olds, with both views significantly differing from the 56% national average.

I can believe that. However Dimple and those people are at odds with the science and the medical/scientific community.

Oh, and note how it breaks down the elderly versus young representation.

Worth noting though that Dimple is actually wrong. He claimed "a tiny minority", so unless we're using brexit majority/minority definitions, 44% is not by any stretch a "tiny minority".

---------- Post added 17-08-2017 at 10:50 ----------

Then they need striking off. Anyone who believes you can choose your gender is kidding themselves.

For reference, this was Dimples claim.

He was wrong then, he's still wrong now. The fact that 56% of the population, including a majority of the elderly and a minority of the young agree with him doesn't alter anything.

Edited by Cyclone