The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

No, a slight majority of those who voted in the EU referendum voted to leave.

39% of the electorate voted to leave.

31% of those eligible to vote voted to leave.

26% of the UK population voted to leave.

Claiming that 'the country has voted to leave', as a democratic argument is nonsense.

Democracy works by only counting votes cast . The winner in a referendum, in which there are only two choices, is the choice which receives the most votes. It shouldn't be difficult to understand. Approx 17 million voted to leave and approx 16 million voted to remain. The turnout was the highest since the 1992 General Election.

As you like statistics , 0% of the UK population voted to join the EEC before the UK joined in 1973.

I see May is beginning to tell the truth...

"Access to each others markets would be "less than it is now"

She said both sides needed to accept that "neither side can have exactly what we want"

And yet, she still sidesteps the Irish border question - the subject which will be her downfall.

Yes it is. What was not democracy was denying the electorate a vote as to whether they wanted to join the then EEC in the first place, or later as to whether we should sign the Maastricht treaty. Both were done with just the approval of parliament and in the parliamentary debates on joining the EEC (1971/1972) it was only passed by a slim majority.

Which is perfectly acceptable as a democratic process. We ELECT our representatives to make decisions on our behalf, we don't get to cast a vote in pretty much anything at all in terms of our governance, and the job of our representatives isn't to do whatever we tell them to.

I think maybe this is the misunderstanding that resulted in brexit voters spouting the nonsense about the EU being undemocratic.

---------- Post added 02-03-2018 at 14:24 ----------

Then you are obviously not from Sheffield.

I'm from Sheffield and I have never heard that word used ever. So what exactly do you mean by it?

---------- Post added 02-03-2018 at 14:30 ----------

I hear North Korea is lovely this time of year.

Isolationism, mistrust of the outside world, yep, sounds like a brexiteers dream come true.

Which is perfectly acceptable as a democratic process. We ELECT our representatives to make decisions on our behalf, we don't get to cast a vote in pretty much anything at all in terms of our governance, and the job of our representatives isn't to do whatever we tell them to.

I think maybe this is the misunderstanding that resulted in brexit voters spouting the nonsense about the EU being undemocratic.

While I agree on the first bit why then did we have 2 referendums on whether we wanted to stay in and yet none on whether we wanted to join. Maybe it was because if we had one on joining then it would have been rejected by the voters.

I'm from Sheffield and I have never heard that word used ever. So what exactly do you mean by it?

Isolationism, mistrust of the outside world, yep, sounds like a brexiteers dream come true.

I have heard the word napper being used as in “sort your Napper out” which translates to “sort your head out”.

And a lad I played football with in the 60s used to shout “ ouch me napper” every time he headed a ball.

Perfectly good word and I wasn’t aware of any unacceptable meaning

Back to Mays Churchillian speech analysis.

Yes.. and something you seem to enjoy putting forward.

I'm not sure that you do. That is three times I've seen the straw man accusation made on this forum and all three posters don't seem to know what it means. :D

While I agree on the first bit why then did we have 2 referendums on whether we wanted to stay in and yet none on whether we wanted to join. Maybe it was because if we had one on joining then it would have been rejected by the voters.

Why indeed.

Or maybe the government had overwhelming support and could push things through without a need to consult the electorate...

it was a different world then and we didn't do referendums. we still dont really.

Obviously you are uneducated as well as I put a dictionary link to it, you need to get out more and stop being a sheep.

I think it was in the byegon days when we left it to elected MPs and their expert advisers to guide us in the best interests for the country.

Now,thanks to the internet,we can all be instant experts on any subject and like to have our say on everything.

I’m not sure that this situation improves the governance of the country.