The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

You are spouting nonsense. The Tory MPs you mention are friends of the democratic people who voted in the EU referendum and are only seeking to maintain and carry out democracy.

Call it nonsense if you want but you know I’m right and that is why you are being so petulant about it. Every day that goes past the argument that the will of the people is still represented by the referendum gets weaker and weaker.

In a few months it’s going to be impossible to make it as the full scale of the catastrophe unfolds.

That’s democracy.

Well here's an interesting poll from Northern Ireland on the subject of brexit.

Question 5 asks; if there was a border poll in the event of a hard brexit would they rather remain in the EU by joining with the Irish Republic or leave the EU by staying part of the UK?

47.9% said they'd vote to join the Irish Republic

45.4% said they'd vote to stay in the UK

That is of course assuming that the Irish Republic would want them to join in the first place. Lets wait for another poll asking if they want N.Ireland to join them as that will give a fairer outlook.

I agree there was no legal compulsion to carry it out. But.. the leaflet that the government produced stated that they would carry it out and parliament subsequently accepted it and also passed the A50 act. Sorry you didn't like the fact it was carried out and approved by parliament but that is democracy.

The rules do not state that I have to quote the whole post only that its not acceptable (for copyright reasons) to amend a post, it is perfectly acceptable to abridge a post. In any case it has never stopped you in the past from doing the same. ;)

But does the bit by you, which I didn't include, alter what I have written as all you are saying by it is "if" and having a guessing game on what May happen.

It doesn’t matter. It was still advisory. There is no legal compulsion whatever anybody said to do anything off the back of it. In fact the rest of the world is looking on in disbelief that such a close result has led to such a radical course of action.

It’s not acceptable to abridge a post if you remove most of the context. That is what you have done. And much of what was in my full post was a response to a previous one where that context was important.

I checked the leaflet and you are talking crap. It doesn’t say anywhere that a vote for leave would definitely result in us leaving. It warns about the risks, nothing more.

Call it nonsense if you want but you know I’m right and that is why you are being so petulant about it. Every day that goes past the argument that the will of the people is still represented by the referendum gets weaker and weaker.

In a few months it’s going to be impossible to make it as the full scale of the catastrophe unfolds.

That’s democracy.

I know you're a sore loser. I voted the same way as you in the referendum, but unlike you I accept the result and respect the wishes of the democratic people who voted the other way.

I know you're a sore loser. I voted the same way as you in the referendum, but unlike you I accept the result and respect the wishes of the democratic people who voted the other way.

The sore loser argument doesn’t work any more either.

Learn some new arguments.

Well here's an interesting poll from Northern Ireland on the subject of brexit.

Question 5 asks; if there was a border poll in the event of a hard brexit would they rather remain in the EU by joining with the Irish Republic or leave the EU by staying part of the UK?

47.9% said they'd vote to join the Irish Republic

45.4% said they'd vote to stay in the UK

Then if the majority actually vote to join the Irish Republic they should.

A poll can be skewed as we should know.

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 15:44 ----------

The sore loser argument doesn’t work any more either.

Learn some new arguments.

Apparently it does :hihi:

Ah yes problems solved.

Brexiters don’t have a clue about the complexities of the NI issue.

Let’s ask a question: if May really screws this up and republican and/or protestant terrorism resurfaces then how many wrecked lives is Brexit worth?

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 15:48 ----------

Nope, it doesn’t. It used to irritate me but now it’s clearly the mantra of misguided brainwashed people.

That is of course assuming that the Irish Republic would want them to join in the first place. Lets wait for another poll asking if they want N.Ireland to join them as that will give a fairer outlook.

You'll have to stop clutching at that straw. People in the Irish Republic have consistently been in favour of reunification.

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 15:53 ----------

How many people who voted brexit would have voted the same way if they'd known it would mean the dismantling of the UK?

Besides which, things like that poll will get Arlene on the phone to Theresa again if she pushes a hard brexit.

That’s democracy.

Yes it is. What was not democracy was denying the electorate a vote as to whether they wanted to join the then EEC in the first place, or later as to whether we should sign the Maastricht treaty. Both were done with just the approval of parliament and in the parliamentary debates on joining the EEC (1971/1972) it was only passed by a slim majority.

First reading 356-244 - majority in favour 112

Second reading 309-301 - majority in favour 8

Third reading 301-284 - majority in favour 17

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 16:03 ----------

You'll have to stop clutching at that straw. People in the Irish Republic have consistently been in favour of reunification.

Consistent?

The latest poll in 2015 show a 1% margin for unification and one of the reasons I stated:

"Lets wait for another poll asking if they want N.Ireland to join them as that will give a fairer outlook." So not clutching at straws just being fair.

Edited by apelike

Consistent?

The latest poll in 2015 show a 1% margin for unification and one of the reasons I stated:

"Lets wait for another poll asking if they want N.Ireland to join them as that will give a fairer outlook." So not clutching at straws just being fair.

The full question that resulted in those answers was "There are a number of possible options for the constitutional status of Northern Ireland. In the short to medium term, do you think Northern Ireland should...". So only specifically focused on the short to medium term and before the brexit referendum.

When the same poll asked the question "Thinking of the long-term policy for Northern Ireland, would you like to see a united Ireland in your lifetime?", 66% wanted an united Ireland and only 14% didn't.

You are a loser get over it,

"This is your decision. The Government will implement what

you decide."

The majority of voters decided to leave.

If you don't like it you're free to go to the EU, why haven't you?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/517014/EU_referendum_leaflet_large_print.pdf

Blimey, you can’t help it with the goading can you.

What does the government will implement what you decide mean in the context of the referendum question in a non-legally binding advisory referendum won by an unconvincing majority. Especially now that government has been dissolved and we have a new one without a mandate? No future government had any compulsion to implement anything. In fact a future government could reverse the process easily using article 49.

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 16:25 ----------

Yes it is. What was not democracy was denying the electorate a vote as to whether they wanted to join the then EEC in the first place, or later as to whether we should sign the Maastricht treaty. Both were done with just the approval of parliament and in the parliamentary debates on joining the EEC (1971/1972) it was only passed by a slim majority.

First reading 356-244 - majority in favour 112

Second reading 309-301 - majority in favour 8

Third reading 301-284 - majority in favour 17

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 16:03 ----------

Consistent?

One thing you need to understand is that governing via referenda is a bad idea. We need to trust our elected governments to act in our best interests. That is clearly not happening right now.

Blimey, you can’t help it with the goading can you.

What does the government will implement what you decide mean in the context of the referendum question in a non-legally binding advisory referendum won by an unconvincing majority. Especially now that government has been dissolved and we have a new one without a mandate? No future government had any compulsion to implement anything. In fact a future government could reverse the process easily using article 49.

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 16:25 ----------

One thing you need to understand is that governing via referenda is a bad idea. We need to trust our elected governments to act in our best interests. That is clearly not happening right now.

It means what it says on the tin, the fact you can't understand it or won't accept it is down to your ignorance and whining.