Why do people read the Daily Mail or Daily Express ?

I was reading my mother-in-law`s copy of the Daily Mail yesterday. it was a painful experience but I thought of it as "research".

The article below caught my eye and I have copied it out exactly, I thought it`d be a good example of how the DM`s bias works :

Daily Mail (9 Mar 17)

£13bn a year Brexit boost.

Britain will bank nearly £13 billion a year from leaving the UU, official estimates suggest.

By the time the UK leaves in 2019, ending payments into the EU budget will boost the Government finances by £12.7 billion, the office for Budget Responsibility said yesterday.

However, the OBR risked further criticism for other more characteristically downbeat forecasts about Brexit.

It warned that leaving will result in a decade of lower growth in exports to the European Union, and that as a result, Britain will have a “lower share of EU markets”.

Now, I looked for this £12.7 billion figure on the OBRs website but Google was unable to find it. Maybe the DM is getting mixed up with the infamous and discredited £12.7 billion we pay to the EU which the Leave campaign have trumpeted in the past. This page explains that it may be a figure we pay into the EU, but we get £4 billion back again. There was no mention of that in the DM article.

It also says "the OBR risked further criticism", by whom ? I read the Times and the Telegraph before that and they`d never come out with such an unattributed comment, they`d say who was doing the criticising and, if it was a "think tank" whether it was left or right leaning.

Lastly the article never mentions the moneys which have been promised to the farmers, Nissan and Gawd knows who else. Nor does it mention any other calls on that £12.7 billion due directly to the EU exit. It`s classic biased journalism.

Can anyone else spot any other bias in it which I may have missed ?

All in all it really is no wonder that Daily Mail and Daily Express readers have such an inaccurate and biased view of the world around us all. Without wishing to sound too patronising, it`s not all their own fault if they read the DM or DE. The problem is those people vote and those votes affect the rest of us.

You seem to spend a lot of time reading the DM and DE for someone who thinks their readers are stupid.

Are you sure it was your mother in laws paper, I know it's easy to get confused with relatives, after all you thought your nephew was your cousin. Easy done I do it all the time.

The Express has only 2 front page templates- one about rocketing or plummeting house prices and the other about impending freak weather conditions.

Don't forget the one about a cure for arthritis just around the corner

I was reading my mother-in-law`s copy of the Daily Mail yesterday. it was a painful experience but I thought of it as "research".

The article below caught my eye and I have copied it out exactly, I thought it`d be a good example of how the DM`s bias works :

Daily Mail (9 Mar 17)

£13bn a year Brexit boost.

Britain will bank nearly £13 billion a year from leaving the UU, official estimates suggest.

By the time the UK leaves in 2019, ending payments into the EU budget will boost the Government finances by £12.7 billion, the office for Budget Responsibility said yesterday.

However, the OBR risked further criticism for other more characteristically downbeat forecasts about Brexit.

It warned that leaving will result in a decade of lower growth in exports to the European Union, and that as a result, Britain will have a “lower share of EU markets”.

Now, I looked for this £12.7 billion figure on the OBRs website but Google was unable to find it. Maybe the DM is getting mixed up with the infamous and discredited £12.7 billion we pay to the EU which the Leave campaign have trumpeted in the past. This page explains that it may be a figure we pay into the EU, but we get £4 billion back again. There was no mention of that in the DM article.

It also says "the OBR risked further criticism", by whom ? I read the Times and the Telegraph before that and they`d never come out with such an unattributed comment, they`d say who was doing the criticising and, if it was a "think tank" whether it was left or right leaning.

Lastly the article never mentions the moneys which have been promised to the farmers, Nissan and Gawd knows who else. Nor does it mention any other calls on that £12.7 billion due directly to the EU exit. It`s classic biased journalism.

Can anyone else spot any other bias in it which I may have missed ?

All in all it really is no wonder that Daily Mail and Daily Express readers have such an inaccurate and biased view of the world around us all. Without wishing to sound too patronising, it`s not all their own fault if they read the DM or DE. The problem is those people vote and those votes affect the rest of us.

God you really are patronising and biased aren't you?

Daily mail and Daily express readers, Audi drivers, Mercedes drivers in fact any German car driver and folk who voted Brexit.

Why would anyone listen to what you have to say?

The Daily Mail has been rightly lambasted over today's sexist and totally ridiculous front page re Nicola Sturgeon and Theresa May:

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2017/03/sexist-appeal-top-ten-comebacks-to-that-daily-mail-front-page/#more-62847

Steve Bell is bang on today in his cartoon taking the **** out of the Daily Mail:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2017/mar/28/steve-bell-on-the-daily-mail-cartoon

Steve Bell is bang on today in his cartoon taking the **** out of the Daily Mail:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2017/mar/28/steve-bell-on-the-daily-mail-cartoon

I think the picture provides an insight into why the Daily Mail is the UK's most successful newspaper. Other papers provide dull pictures of talking heads or of Brexit documents, whereas the Daily Mail reserves its serious coverage for the inside pages and adds an interesting, if trivial sidelight, on the meeting between the two women. I didn't find it offensive. Nor, presumably, did the majority of female readers of the Daily Mail (the majority of its readers are female anyway)

This is yet another example of the illness of acute offendicitis which is afflicting the UK.

I think the picture provides an insight into why the Daily Mail is the UK's most successful newspaper. Other papers provide dull pictures of talking heads or of Brexit documents, whereas the Daily Mail reserves its serious coverage for the inside pages and adds an interesting, if trivial sidelight, on the meeting between the two women. I didn't find it offensive. Nor, presumably, did the majority of female readers of the Daily Mail (the majority of its readers are female anyway)

This is yet another example of the illness of acute offendicitis which is afflicting the UK.

Oh good. The next time Boris Johnson meets a foreign dignitary, I will look forward to the Daily Mail comparing their legs.

The Mail wouldn't exist if it didn't have anything to be offended by,or be outraged by,and imply its readers that they must be offended and outraged about them too,anything from EU migrants to Great British Bake Off,I can remember a columnist called Littlejohn who was permanently offended enough to fill his columns with everything that offended him.

The Daily Mail has been rightly lambasted over today's sexist and totally ridiculous front page re Nicola Sturgeon and Theresa May:

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2017/03/sexist-appeal-top-ten-comebacks-to-that-daily-mail-front-page/#more-62847

Finding out that it was a woman that wrote the article/headline kind of takes the sting out of it though.

Finding out that it was a woman that wrote the article/headline kind of takes the sting out of it though.

No it doesn't - it's still a pathetic bit of journalism. The front page today was the an altered picture with "silenced by the left" stamped all over it - utter ********. I wouldn't wipe my arse with the daily mail. Most papers in this country are awful but the mail is the worst.

No it doesn't - it's still a pathetic bit of journalism. The front page today was the an altered picture with "silenced by the left" stamped all over it - utter ********. I wouldn't wipe my arse with the daily mail. Most papers in this country are awful but the mail is the worst.

But it seems you read it.

I agree that its a bit facile, but it didn't come from a sexist place as it was a woman that was behind the article.