Golf! the exclusion of women.

Try setting up a club with no blacks and see how that works out for you.

We all discriminate practically every day of our lives. When in the 70s I discovered that I could not be a member of the local working men's club or go in with the children without my partner I discriminated by deciding none of us would ever go in there again and telling them so.

The Anti Discrimination Laws apply mostly to work situations and specific groups of people and places where there is public admission, not to private clubs.

Seriously. They can watch or caddy, but not be members, therefore it's not discrimination... :huh:

Seriously how many of the 25,000 plus daily spectators who visit the Open want to be a member of the club hosting the event ?

Seriously how many of the 25,000 plus daily spectators who visit the Open want to be a member of the club hosting the event ?

Who cares, that's entirely irrelevant to the discrimination of a single sex membership rule.

---------- Post added 22-05-2016 at 08:33 ----------

We all discriminate practically every day of our lives. When in the 70s I discovered that I could not be a member of the local working men's club or go in with the children without my partner I discriminated by deciding none of us would ever go in there again and telling them so.

The Anti Discrimination Laws apply mostly to work situations and specific groups of people and places where there is public admission, not to private clubs.

You didn't discriminate, you made a decision, you need to look at what the word means.

Try setting up a club with no blacks and see how that works out for you.

You can discriminate against some things, but not others.

You can have female only swimming, female only private clubs, female only football; but not based on colour.

Gender discrimination is illegal in the workplace and should be illegal in private clubs and sports facilities IMO.

Gender discrimination is illegal in the workplace and should be illegal in private clubs and sports facilities IMO.

The women would never win at sport again ;)

The women would never win at sport again ;)

you have clearly never played hockey against a woman's team

you have clearly never played hockey against a woman's team

For some reason the disadvantage in speed and strength doesn't count in hockey?

The big stink surrounding the exclusion of women being members by Muirfield golf club in Scotland brings nearer home the women only swimming sessions or gym slots that occur around our area now and again.

Why is it that the golf gets all the publicity yet the other more general occurrences get ignored.

It used to be a common occurrence for certain pubs and working mens clubs to have men only rooms , mind you that was before ladies started swearing like troopers and supping pints;

Tuppaware or Ann Summers party any one .

There's no reason why women can't have their own clubs, personally I'm indifferent, but I wonder if the reason why women want to join mens' clubs is that they may receive more recognition

For some reason the disadvantage in speed and strength doesn't count in hockey?

it's more than made up for by the fact that in trained hands a hockey stick is a very effective weapon.

it's more than made up for by the fact that in trained hands a hockey stick is a very effective weapon.

That sounds unlikely. Being faster and stronger gives you an advantage when things need to be done fast and hard, such as a team ball sport (even with a flattened ball that you hit with sticks).