Sheffield Bus Partnership update

Andy, have all the routes now been allocated between the operators, or just the ones you mentioned above? Thank you.

Yes, however very little of this information has become public yet. All I've found is the table showing routes that are to be jointly operated and co-ordinated which requires some sort of special legal authority that bypasses competition rules if it is considered in the public interest.

The buses shown on that table (found at http://meetings.southyorks.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=2815&x=1&zTS=undefined) include:

1/1A High Green-City-Hemsworth-Herdings/Batemoor (First to operate the Herdings buses, Stagecoach the Batemoor buses)

7/8/8A Ecclesfield-City-Crystal Peaks (Stagecoach to run route 7, First to run routes 8/8A).

24/25 Woodhouse-City-Lowedges-Bradway (First to run route 24, Stagecoach to run route 25)

52/52A Woodhouse-City-Crookes-Hillsborough-Wisewood (Stagecoach to run route 52, First to run route 52A)

83/83A Ecclesfield-City-Bents Green/Fulwood (First to run the Bents Green journeys, Stagecoach the Fulwood journeys).

120 Fulwood-Ranmoor-City-Crystal Peaks-Halfway (First to run Fulwood to Crystal Peaks, Stagecoach Ranmoor-Halfway)

Once the local authority has signed off the new bus network proposals at their meeting on 1st September, things will start becoming clearer as the bus operators start registering the new services, once the traffic commissioner has accepted the registrations they are listed on the VOSA website which is accessible to the public.

---------- Post added 24-08-2015 at 00:30 ----------

This is good news and certainly sounds promising. I guess the bus shelter and turning circle at the Mother Redcap will now be redundant as Stagecoach don't use it - except in times of snow and ice maybe!

Indeed - this is of course assuming that all journeys are to run down Wollaton/Longford.

Edited by Andy C

Announcement made today, available on SYPTE website (http://www.sypte.co.uk)

New CityBus (any bus in Sheffield) and reduced CityWide (any bus and tram in Sheffield) tickets will offer a discount of up to 23% against the nearest existing ticket for passengers travelling with more than one bus company, or by different modes of public transport. Prices will be frozen until April 2017.

CityBus Day - £4 (11% saving), 7 Day - £14 (17% saving) and 28 Day - £49 (23% saving)

CityWide Day - £4.30 (4% saving), 7 Day - £15 (12% saving), 28 Day - £53 (17% saving), Annual - £560 (19% saving)

Are there still going to be single operator day and weekly tickets too. I pay £42 now for a First Day that is for a month (not 28 days). A CityBus at £49 for 28 days will be a significant increase.

Are there still going to be single operator day and weekly tickets too. I pay £42 now for a First Day that is for a month (not 28 days). A CityBus at £49 for 28 days will be a significant increase.

In the case of day tickets, single operator tickets are currently £3.90 so I imagine when it comes to the annual fares review in the Spring they would be going up to £4 - so the all operator bus only day ticket at £4 will probably end up replacing them.

With weekly and 28 day/monthly tickets, the single operator tickets will continue to be offered by both First and Stagecoach, the big deal is that all operator tickets will be less of a premium.

It is probably worth noting that before the bus partnership began in October 2012 First was charging around £18 for a weekly ticket, they then reduced it to £12.50 to match Stagecoach and the Citywide was introduced at £17 - and now the Citywide is being reduced to £15 - so three years later an all operator bus & tram pass is £3 cheaper than an operator specific was!

So for season tickets the line up will be

WEEKLY

First Week Sheffield - £12.50

Stagecoach Weekly Megarider, bus only - £12.50

Stagecoach Weekly Megarider, tram only - £12.50

TM Travel Sheffield Weekly Yo-Yo - £12.50

Stagecoach Weekly Megarider, bus & tram - £13.50

Citybus week (all buses) - £14.00

Citywide week (all buses and tram) - £15.00

28 DAY/MONTH

First Month Sheffield £44 (reduced to £42 using mobile app)

Stagecoach 28 day Megarider/Monthly Xtra - bus only £42.00

Stagecoach 28 day Megarider/Monthly Xtra - tram only £42.00

Stagecoach 28 day Megarider/Monthly Xtra - bus & tram £46.00

City bus 28 day (all buses) - £49.00

Citywide 28 day (all buses and tram) - £53.00

Edited by Andy C

SYPTE have just confirmed that all 25s will go down Longford and Wollaton Roads, although timetable details are yet to be confirmed by Stagecoach after 1st September. This is in response to very strong feedback in questionnaires and consultation meetings. It's possible evening and weekend services will terminate at OMR - my speculation.

Layover will be at the Old Mother Redcap terminus for environmental reasons.

looks like all the 'consultation' was roundly ignored then...

now that it's over I keep seeing posters on buses announcing the consultation on 'improvements' to the network. The only improvements I can see are to the bus company profits... oh well, at least I'll be healthier as I'll probably walk 90% of the current bus journeys I make

Feel for the people who dont have a choice but catch the bus... And tthe drivers whose jobs are on the line. (less buses = less drivers)

looks like all the 'consultation' was roundly ignored then...

now that it's over I keep seeing posters on buses announcing the consultation on 'improvements' to the network. The only improvements I can see are to the bus company profits... oh well, at least I'll be healthier as I'll probably walk 90% of the current bus journeys I make

The list of changes to the proposals made as a result of the consultation runs to 7 pages. However one man demanding a door to door service once a week probably was ignored...

---------- Post added 25-08-2015 at 12:52 ----------

Feel for the people who dont have a choice but catch the bus... And tthe drivers whose jobs are on the line. (less buses = less drivers)

Not sure any redundancies are threatened - bus operators tend to have quite high turnover of drivers anyway - plus not sure the vehicle/driver requirement is dramatically lower, however the public subsidy required has fallen...

I rely on buses (except for the morning commute when I do a train/tram combo). Mixed bag for me - Bradway will be served by the Stagecoach 25 all day every day, so none of that 53 evening/Sunday rubbish - however the 25 is to be diverted via Lowedges, extending journey time.

Edited by Andy C

Guest busdriver1

Edited by busdriver1

Councillors on the South Yorkshire Joint Authority transport committee have voted to sign off the new network proposal at their meeting this afternoon.

The new bus network, along with the new Citybus ticket range and Citywide ticket price reductions will launch on 1st November.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-bus-cuts-agreed-today-find-out-if-your-service-is-affected-1-7438743

Edited by Andy C

Thanks Andy, no surprise there... It's a shame that a decision concerning purely Sheffield buses couldn't have been held in Sheffield, but then I suppose there might have been a bigger public turnout and they wouldn't have liked that!

Any idea whether any sort of printed timetables will be produced? I'm expecting not...

In other news, the 52 will no longer be every 30 seconds, but will now be every 35 seconds.

And there will be no changes to the 51 service. It will continue to be appalling.