Sheffield Bus Partnership update

Announcement made today, available on SYPTE website (http://www.sypte.co.uk)

Plans for the refined bus network, incorporating changes centred on customer and community feedback, will be considered by Sheffield City Region (SCR) Combined Authority Transport Committee at their meeting on 1 September. Key changes include:

- Fewer changes to bus service numbers

- Peak period services from Dore through to Hallamshire Hospital (current service 70)

- Retained links from Derbyshire Lane to Woodseats and city centre (current service 19/20a)

- Reinstatement of the SL2 Supertram link at Malin Bridge

- Retained links between Grenoside, Foxhill and Hillsborough

- Retained links between Firth Park Road and Burngreave

- Service 42 and 70 to provide a 15 minute service between Arbourthorne Eastern Avenue and city centre

Sheffield Bus Partnership – made up of local bus operators, Sheffield City Council and South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (SYPTE) – undertook the network review as part of work to progress the public transport aims drawn in the SCR Devolution Deal to improve and sustain local bus services.

SCR Transport Committee will consider a full package of bus improvements as part of the Devolution Deal proposals. Plans to complement the network review include the introduction of a simplified and more attractively priced multi-operator ticket range on smartcard.

New CityBus (any bus in Sheffield) and reduced CityWide (any bus and tram in Sheffield) tickets will offer a discount of up to 23% against the nearest existing ticket for passengers travelling with more than one bus company, or by different modes of public transport. Prices will be frozen until April 2017.

CityBus Day - £4 (11% saving), 7 Day - £14 (17% saving) and 28 Day - £49 (23% saving)

CityWide Day - £4.30 (4% saving), 7 Day - £15 (12% saving), 28 Day - £53 (17% saving), Annual - £560 (19% saving)

Speaking on behalf of Sheffield Bus Partnership, SYPTE Interim Director General David Young said: “Thank you to the public for their high level of response to the Sheffield Bus Partnership network consultation. This valuable feedback has helped us to carefully develop, and make changes and improvements to the proposed bus network based on passenger travel patterns and community needs.

“Sheffield Bus Partnership has considered all public sector and commercial operator bus services to create a city-wide network that is better co-ordinated, sustainable and meets the transport aims of the SCR Devolution Deal. Duplicate services and buses that are not well used have been removed, and services re-routed or reinvested to parts of the city that need them more. For example, to improve access to employment, education or community services.

“We hope the refined bus network and the reduction in ticket prices will be welcomed by existing and new bus users.”

Sheffield network changes are expected to be implemented the weekend of 31 October 2015 with the cheaper tickets also being available in Sheffield and Rotherham on the same date, subject to plans being passed by SCR Transport Committee.

Holy heck, reduced City Wide? Great News! I save some money for once.

Agenda for the Sheffield City Region Combined Authority Transport Committee on

Tuesday 1st September, 2015 2.00 pm is online at; http://meetings.southyorks.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=2815&x=1&zTS=undefined

There's a lot of detailed stuff that's irrelevant to most people. However the summary of changes by Council Wards may be worth looking at; http://meetings.southyorks.gov.uk/documents/s35264/Item%2011%20Devolution%20Deal%20-%20Sheffield%20-%20APPENDIX%20D%20-%20Summary%20of%20Changes%20by%20Ward.pdf?zTS=undefined

Some interesting changes to the proposals there following the consultation I've spotted so far.

MILLHOUSES/CHANCET WOOD

The proposal to replace the 83 with route 2 via Abbeydale Road has been dropped in favour of extending route 82 to Millhouses. (route 2/2A replaces the current 87 City-Lowedges and the proposal was the route would split with the 2A going to Lowedges via Archer Road and Hutcliffe Wood)

Route 2 will now instead go to Chancet Wood. This will mean the Chancet Wood estate will get a bus every half hour direct into town via Abbeydale Road.

Route 19 will no longer operate.

NORTON LEES

The 20 will continue to run Hemsworth-City via the current route at the increased frequency of every 15 minutes as now.

The 19 will no longer operate. The new hourly route 18 from Meadowhall via Gleadless onto Derbyshire Lane will now go to the City Centre instead of Woodseats via the present route 19, also replacing the withdrawn 20A.

BRADWAY/LOW EDGES

The 2A replaces the 87 on a reduced frequency as planned.

The 8 replaces the 76 as planned

the 4/4A which replaces the 25/25A/53 will now be numbered the 24 and 25. The 24 runs Lowedges-City-Woodhouse via the current routes 53/22 and will be operated by First, the 25 will run as the current 25 does, including Longford Road loop, but with the diversion via Lowedges as proposed, this will be operated by Stagecoach.

With the 4A (now 25) extended onto Longford Road, the proposal to divert the M17 there is dropped.

DORE/WHIRLOW/ENDCLIFFE STUDENT VILLAGE

The 81 will be extended to Dore as planned, providing a service every 20 minutes directly into the City via Ecclesall Road.

At peak times this will be supplemented by an extra service similar to the current 70 operating via Hallamshire Hospital.

During the daytime, inbetween the peak only service 70 operating, route 272 will be diverted via Hallamshire Hospital retaining the link from Dore Moor and Whirlow.

Between Hunters Bar and Hallamshire Hospital route 10/10A will now only be diverted via Endcliffe Student Village during off peak hours (the hours the current 121 operates), at peak times will run direct via Brocco Bank.

BRADFIELD/LOXLEY/DUNGWORTH/STANNINGTON

Route 61/62 is to be extended beyond Hillsborough into the City Centre. This extension is to be provided on a commercial basis by the bus operator as a trial for one year.

LONGLEY HALL ROAD

Service 9/9A to service this area instead of 1A

ARBOURTHORNE

Service 42 to be diverted via Eastern Avenue to supplement service 70.

PITSMOOR

Routes 3 and 7/8 to be swapped so 3 will run via Rock Street and 7/8 via Burngreave Road.

Edited by Andy C

It amuses me that it mentions 268 route number changed to 68 under Bradfield

Dungworth

Hollow Meadows

Loxley

Stannington

Wadsley Park

Worrall

Yet it doesn't mention this for:

Bolsterstone

Deepcar

Oughtibridge

Stocksbridge

Wharncliffe Side

The 268 goes to Oughtibridge and Wharncliffe Side!

Some interesting changes to the proposals there following the consultation I've spotted so far.

MILLHOUSES/CHANCET WOOD

The proposal to replace the 83 with route 2 via Abbeydale Road has been dropped in favour of extending route 82 to Millhouses. (route 2/2A replaces the current 87 City-Lowedges and the proposal was the route would split with the 2A going to Lowedges via Archer Road and Hutcliffe Wood)

Route 2 will now instead go to Chancet Wood. This will mean the Chancet Wood estate will get a bus every half hour direct into town via Abbeydale Road.

Route 19 will continue to run from Chancet Wood via Woodseats and Norton Lees into town but only once an hour, as proposed.

NORTON LEES

The 20A will continue to run Hemsworth-City via the current route at the increased frequency of every 15 minutes as now.

The 19 will as proposed be cut to once an hour Chancet Wood-Woodseats-Hollythorpe Rise-City.

The new hourly route 18 from Meadowhall via Gleadless onto Derbyshire Lane will now go to the City Centre instead of Woodseats, route 18 and 19 will combine at Hollythorpe Rise to provide a half hourly service into the City Centre.

BRADWAY/LOW EDGES

The 2A replaces the 87 on a reduced frequency as planned.

The 8 replaces the 76 as planned

the 4/4A which replaces the 25/25A/53 will now be numbered the 24 and 25. The 24 runs Lowedges-City-Woodhouse via the current routes 53/22 and will be operated by First, the 25 will run as the current 25 does, including Longford Road loop, but with the diversion via Lowedges as proposed, this will be operated by Stagecoach.

With the 4A (now 25) extended onto Longford Road, the proposal to divert the M17 there is dropped.

DORE/WHIRLOW/ENDCLIFFE STUDENT VILLAGE

The 81 will be extended to Dore as planned, providing a service every 20 minutes directly into the City via Ecclesall Road.

At peak times this will be supplemented by an extra service similar to the current 70 operating via Hallamshire Hospital.

During the daytime, inbetween the peak only service 70 operating, route 272 will be diverted via Hallamshire Hospital retaining the link from Dore Moor and Whirlow.

Between Hunters Bar and Hallamshire Hospital route 10/10A will now only be diverted via Endcliffe Student Village during off peak hours (the hours the current 121 operates), at peak times will run direct via Brocco Bank.

BRADFIELD/LOXLEY/DUNGWORTH/STANNINGTON

Route 61/62 is to be extended beyond Hillsborough into the City Centre. This extension is to be provided on a commercial basis by the bus operator as a trial for one year.

LONGLEY HALL ROAD

Service 9/9A to service this area instead of 1A

So at Bradway do we not get an evening service if our 25 will be Stagecoach? Or will the old 53 still divert here in an evening?

I'm pleased that the citywide tickets are going to be cheaper. I just bought one for £63.75, so i will save £15 a month :) When does this change take effect?

I need to find out how my bus route (87 or 85) has been affected.

I'm pleased that the citywide tickets are going to be cheaper. I just bought one for £63.75, so i will save £15 a month :) When does this change take effect?

Week ending 31st of october.

So at Bradway do we not get an evening service if our 25 will be Stagecoach? Or will the old 53 still divert here in an evening?

The 25 will run all day including evenings, every day, so no need to find different stops evenings and weekends.

The original proposals for the new network, which will be implemented from 1st November, can be found by downloading this map: http://meetings.southyorks.gov.uk/documents/s35261/Item%2011%20Devolution%20Deal%20-%20Sheffield%20-%20Appendix%20A.pdf?zTS=undefined

Following public consultation during July, some further amendments have been proposed, summarised here: http://meetings.southyorks.gov.uk/documents/s35262/Item%2011%20Devolution%20Deal%20Combined%20Appendix%20B.pdf?zTS=undefined

The new Citywide ticket prices and introduction of new Citybus tickets is from the same date - 1st November. Indeed quite a price cut - down to £53 for a 4 week ticket including trams or £49 bus only.

---------- Post added 22-08-2015 at 22:26 ----------

Stagecoach 25 will run Bradway-City-Woodhouse in the evening and on Sunday - every 12 minutes Monday to Friday daytime, every 15 minutes Saturday daytime and every 30 minutes evenings and Sundays.

Times will be co-ordinated with the First 24 to offer buses Lowedges-City-Woodhouse on the common sections of 24/25 every 6 minutes Monday to Friday daytime, every 7-8 minutes Saturday daytime and every 15 minutes evenings and Sundays.

Edited by Andy C

Andy, have all the routes now been allocated between the operators, or just the ones you mentioned above? Thank you.

[/color]

Stagecoach 25 will run Bradway-City-Woodhouse in the evening and on Sunday - every 12 minutes Monday to Friday daytime, every 15 minutes Saturday daytime and every 30 minutes evenings and Sundays.

Times will be co-ordinated with the First 24 to offer buses Lowedges-City-Woodhouse on the common sections of 24/25 every 6 minutes Monday to Friday daytime, every 7-8 minutes Saturday daytime and every 15 minutes evenings and Sundays.

This is good news and certainly sounds promising. I guess the bus shelter and turning circle at the Mother Redcap will now be redundant as Stagecoach don't use it - except in times of snow and ice maybe!